Unlimited access >

Chicken with prolapsed vent

Chicken folks, tell me about prolapsed vents. How did you treat this? Did you use home remedies or did you take the hen to the vet? Did the prolapse heal permanently or did it recur?

My favorite hen has a prolapse. I cleaned it with warm water and wiped off the goo as much as I could and then pushed it back where it should be. I held it closed for several minutes and then put her in her nest box for the night. This is my first experience with a prolapsed vent and I’m wondering about the prognosis. I’ll take the bird to a vet if I can’t fix it myself, but I don’t want to pour a lot of money into it if the overall prognosis is poor.

knock on wood I haven’t had to deal with this myself. I’ve heard recommendations that the first time just do as you have done. I’ve heard mixed things about the safety of using a hemorrhoid cream like Preparation H or a hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation. But if the other option is death it could be worth trying if you can’t get in to see a vet.
If it stays in overnight than you may be ok. I would keep her somewhere dark and quiet though. You may run in to trouble with the next egg unfortunately.
If it does happen again I would probably opt to euthanize.

2 Likes

Sounds strange - but sprinkle granulated sugar on it if it happens again. Sugar is hydrophilic so it absorbs the water and the prolapse gets sucked back in. Easy fix, although I would probably bring it to the vet if it’s a recurring thing. Good luck!

4 Likes

I was thinking about trying sugar if my repair didn’t hold, but when I checked her today the vent was still in place so I’m cautiously optimistic. I forgot to mention that I sprayed Banixx on her when I cleaned her butt. The label says “Horses and pets” and there’s a picture of a chicken so I thought (hoped) it would be safe to use. I’ve had chickens for at least 15 years and this is the first time I’ve had to deal with this.

2 Likes

I’ve had it once, in a production red hen. Did the same as you, cleaned it and pushed it back in. It recurred in a day or two, and then again. I put her down. Keep a close eye, they tend to keep happening, and if another hen sees it, especially in a nestbox, they’ll go for it.

1 Like

powder sugar is easier to work with than granulated sugar as it sticks better - for prolapses especially cattle - cattle friends say anyway. Good luck with your chicken - hopes she ‘rights’ herself.

3 Likes