Unlimited access >

Child in my pasture- WWYD?

It is delusional fantasy to imagine that the “South” and “UK” losses have anything to do with this piece of trash harassing the OP.

I am all for SSS at this point. What a nasty baggage for doing that to your fences.

What does the local PD say about your rights? Can you detain her and then call the cops? Sounds like a delinquent.

NO DAMAGE DONE?..

[QUOTE=kookicat;3373097]
Thanks folks. I’m still reading through the replies but thought I’d post an update now.

I moved the horses from the pasture they where in to one closer to the house. Glad I did because when I went back to the first pasture, all (Every. Single. Post. GRRRR) of my electirc fencing is down. I think she had help to do it, because there’s a lot of posts. I’m going to have to cancel my plans for tomorrow to put them all back up. :mad::mad::mad? :lol::eek::winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

I would consider taking the fence down, causing you untold hours of work to put it back up and make sure it works correctly… DAMAGE. Wouldn’t that be the same as Spray painting a wall, the wall wasn’t destroyed, but it does take hours of work to clean up the mess…

Kookicat-you and your neighbor need video surveillance cameras immediately before the animals get out on the road. Just yesterday on QVC they had a remote camera setup-the camera looked like an outdoor floodlight bulb with the camera lens in the bulb, and you simply plugged the receiver into the house wiring and plug it in to a viewer that I think plugged into your computer or tv (I wasn’t watching very closely) but if you go to qvc.com they should have a listing for it. You can also get some inexpensive wireless setups too-I bet your neighbor would be interested considering his livelihood depends on his cattle. I would at least go to the police station and file a vandalism and trespassing report with a name to be added later, just because the police don’t want to come to you doesn’t mean you don’t have the right to make a report at the station-I would talk to a supervisor and emphasize the danger to the animals, and to passing motorists if the animals escape, and the monetary losses to your neighbor–your neighbor should make a report also. I can’t believe there isn’t a neighborhood snoopy-nose person that knows who the kid is–every area has one of these and they live to snoop, mostly because they are bored-but they are very useful even if they can only narrow down where she lives. While it’s still fresh in your mind write down a detailed description of the girl including what she was wearing, where she went after she left, and anything that might help you find out who she is–I can’t believe this is her first offense-do you have local shop keepers that might recognize her? She sounds like one of those lost souls that grow up without supervision or adult interest and I bet a lot of people know who she is, especially if she runs with a few others that might help her do damage such as your fence sabotage. She needs to be stopped before this escalates and something awful happens.

I posted a similar thread a few months ago. A few days after I caught up to the kid that had been using my pasture as a shortcut and asked him nicely not to do that anymore for his safety. He was sweet and said, "Yes mam’ Then he retaliated on the 7/4 and almost burned my barn down. He terrorized me horses and was a jerk. As far as I’m concerned I will no longer be nice to tresspassers and they will be prosecuted. Teenagers don’t understand that the universe doesn’t belong to them. I learned the hard way.

Unbelievable! I would definitely keep on it with the police, and I think the notice in the paper is a good idea, too.

Geez. As a horsecrazy and horseless kid, I did seek out neighborhood noses to pat over fences without hunting down the owners first, but fence damage?? Chasing with a stick?? Rude talk back??

If I had been caught doing any of the above, my mother would have set my tail end on fire, and I’d STILL be grounded.

Too bad guns are outlawed in the UK… just for the noise value of letting off a warning shot into the air would most likely cause mass urination and frantic scrambling of most 12 year old vandals.

[QUOTE=kookicat;3373097]
Phoned the police again, who basically said the same as you. Get evidence, ring them if she comes back etc. …[/QUOTE]

Did they identify the girl and speak to her and her parents??
Itemize your hours spent repairing the fence and send them a bill for the labor at least.

In the states we can file “no trespass” orders against people. If you have anything like that, file the order asap against the child, her parents and any other siblings she has. Then if she shows back up, she can be arrested and charged, damage or not.

What a horrid little witch :dead:.

Oh, how lovely. Ugh. And this is a 12 year old???

Definitely some good suggestions here.
I would maybe call a fence company and get an estimate on what it would cost to have “professionals” reinstall the fence. In my area, there doesn’t necessarily have to be damage, but a “financial loss”.
I would also send a very carefully worded letter to her parents or whatever adult is supposed to be in charge of this little monster outlining the situation and what needs to occurr to rectify it, and cc it to your homeowner’s insurance. If you really want to open some eyes have your attorney do it, but whoever sends it needs to send it certified with return receipt requested.
The video/photo idea is a good one too, the more documentation of things (that she was there, the dates and times, etc) the better.

Wow. :eek:

Did you read the OP? This child wasn’t watching over the fence politely, nor did she ask if she could pet the horses. She was caught chasing the horses in the pasture with a stick, and when asked to leave called the OP names and was belligerent. And then came back and did it again!

Geesh, when I read posts like yours it is no wonder there are so many spoiled brats in this world. Even my 5, 7 and 9 year old nieces and nephews would know that if they wanted something from a neighbor, such as to pet the dog, horses, whatever, that you are polite and you ASK permission. They know better than to go chasing someone else’s animal of any sort who is properly restrained on said person’s property with a stick!

1 Like

Maybe she’s been watching all the NH trainers on RFD…(seriously)

ETA:Having read the update regarding the fence line, I’ve somehow lost any sympathy for this kid…

I have a fencer here that does 50 miles and shocks just fine through tall grass. I have touched it before and I tell you…I never want to do that again. It wont kill you…but it feels like it will.
I would use a fencer like that…and put up a few strands of smooth wire in the grass on her side…maybe where she wont see it at first. I swear I would.

Here, when you have such a problem, you can go ask at the sheriff’s office for a deputy that wants to do extra security work on his own and you can hire one for a few days, until it catches the kid in the act.
Money well spent in your case.

If not the sheriff’s office, there are security firms that will do such services for you also.

Your situation there is such a large liability problem all the way around, with the kid and the possible loose horses, that if someone gets injured by them or because of them they can say you knew you had a problem, that you really need to try to resolve the situation asap.

“Phoned the police again, who basically said the same as you. Get evidence, ring them if she comes back etc. Because there’s no damage done, there’s nothing they can do about the fencing. If she’d broken something they would have been able to act.”

I think that taking down the electric fence posts is “damage done” and something is “broken” - your fence. Big time!! AND the police need to be made aware of just how big a deal it could have been if the horses had been in the fence and gone on walkabout. I would have made it quite clear that if that had happened and property damage (to your horses or someone’s car, perhaps) had occurred, you would definitely be mentioning to your lawyer and insurance company that you had contacted the police and they had declined to do anything. They need to make a report and talk to the girl. Stay on them until that happens.

Also, take pictures before you fix the fence… Make notes of your conversations with the police and your neighbor…

Rancher, I want to be your neighbor!! We would have sooo much fun!! I think a rapid-fire paintgun filled to the brim with bright colors and a day hiding in the bush is called for. Blast the kid!!! The paint washes off but the experience will last a lifetime. :wink:

Wow, this really sucks. I’m sorry to hear it. :no:

I think you have been nice, and clearly being nice isn’t working. I with those who said call the police each and every time. I have no respect for a young lady who thinks it’s ok to tear down fencing that holds horses in.

In the US, “no trespassing” signs would be recommended. If the case goes to court, she can’t claim that she didn’t know that she wasn’t welcome or that the pasture was private. I don’t know how the UK rules work though.

When she visits, she can only be walking from so far. What if you were to start from the trails leading from that fenceline and visit the nearest houses. Visit them and be friendly. Maybe you can politely enquire if he/she knows where a young 12-13 yr old girl might live? (without telling too much) Once you know where she lives, life will get much easier for you and the police can be more effective.

I also like the ideas of doing something to the outside fenceline that makes it unplesant to handle or harder to take apart. How about just a deep moat with alligators? :smiley:

Do take notes of dates/times every single time you see her or see something amiss. This will help in prosecution, and it’ll also help you if someone gets hurt & you have to defend yourself.

I agree

[QUOTE=BelladonnaLily;3372610]
Call the police IMMEDIATELY. The fact that you found her in the field the first time doesn’t worry me nearly so much as that she called YOU names and came back. I’d bet dollars to donuts with a kid like that that the parents won’t do much anyway…call the police, be vigilant. If your horses get hurt, it’ll be too bad so sad because you’ll have a devil of a time proving anything…if the kid gets hurt, she might own your farm :no: Sad state of our society, isn’t it?

And next time she tells you “They won’t hurt me”, tell her Yeah, but I will :yes: Little brat…[/QUOTE]
I agree except for the part about telling her you’ll hurt her, her parents will get the cops on you if theyare as bad as their kid.
I think you need to get a criminal trespass notice to the parents, stating that their child is trespassing on your land, and that they are responsible for any damages to your horses/land/etc if she comes back onto it, and that if she returns, you will have to take them to juvenile court for criminal trespass. my state (ga) now actually makes parents responsible for their kids–well sometimes.
but beware of retaliation. when you leave, the kid could come in and hurt horses. at least she’s not a boy with a bb gun, I hate that :mad: once had a neighbor’s son shooting at my first horse in our backyard, yard man was also there and bent over near horse, he came in, got Daddy, Daddy went over 2 doors down and threatened kid’s father, kid’s father beat kid and gave Daddy the bb gun to break, which he did. no further problems. pays to have type A father who was well known as crack shot with a gun. :D:D
so I resort to big stockade (perfect name) fence for my dogs (horses boarded) to protect dogs from kids who stick sharp sticks thru chain link fence and threaten dogs.
whatever happened to kids like us who used to go out and pet dogs and cats and horses? all now seem to want to tease and injure them.

wildlife camera

oh don’t forget the wildlife camera, it’s on many threads, I’ve seen good pix of deer at previous barn where hunter had one. then you have pix of the kid on your property.
put up the no trespassing signs, I thinks it’s every 100 ft in my state.
and yes, cops don’t like to work this kind of case.
that’s why you can swear out warrants with the cops or sheriff, or you can file in small claims court w/o a lawyer, they hav the forms, and sue the parents for any damages, plus court costs.
that means when she messes with the fence, you pay someone to repair it, then you have pix of kid with the deer camera, the bill for repairs, etc. then you sue, get judgment.
but you probably will be better off with a no climb fence, and a high one.
this is the state of the world, animals must be protected from humans. I like the old days when one of our neighbors around the bluff heard guys cherry bombing his mail box, went out, shot out the back of the kid’s parents’ expensive car, back window, etc., with shotgun, and when kid’s parents called the cops, cops said kids deserved it (kids werent shot but they were in the big car). :lol::lol: Our mailbox was never bombed cause of Daddy’s gun prowness.

I hope you are prosecuting and suing

[QUOTE=TwoArabs;3373137]
I posted a similar thread a few months ago. A few days after I caught up to the kid that had been using my pasture as a shortcut and asked him nicely not to do that anymore for his safety. He was sweet and said, "Yes mam’ Then he retaliated on the 7/4 and almost burned my barn down. He terrorized me horses and was a jerk. As far as I’m concerned I will no longer be nice to tresspassers and they will be prosecuted. Teenagers don’t understand that the universe doesn’t belong to them. I learned the hard way.[/QUOTE]

hope you have the evidence to prosecute and sue. When I boarded where a lot of ex–employees and neighbors didn’t like the BO, and the barn was not where the BO lived, I was so worried about someone retaliating on her and killing my 2 horses, that i notified the neighbors for reward to get all the horses out of the barn if there was a fire, starting with my 2 in the end stalls. and I made sure that people knew if my horses got killed by someone, that I would not need to prosecute but would be the one who suffered from temporary insanity.
nice kids pet horses over the fence. I’ve never tried, when a child or adult, to make friends by swinging a stick. this kid isn’t misunderstood she’s a juvenile deliquent, heading for criminal court.