Child PTSD

I know of someone who has PTSD from their parents dying and they are a minor. The decisions about their horses are being made by a trustee but because of the decisions being made the minor constantly feels sick. Because of choices of the guardian they feel this is their only connection left to their old life and seeing the way their horse is being taken care of is tearing them apart. I know the minor has brought up to the trustee concerns about the horse’s health (ex. mold traces in hay being fed to a horse with a history of colic and poor quality hay all around) but the concerns are being ignored. Is there anything they or someone who knows them could do?

Why not ask who is the trustees and go talk to them? Take samples and articles, talk to the veterinarian and farrier and see if he/she shares the concerns and will write a letter.

PTSD doesn’t play into it much, I wouldn’t think. Sounds like a pretty straight forward case of “is the horse being cared for appropriately?” If the answer is no, and the trustee is unwilling, perhaps the child petition the court to provide a different “guardian” for the horse?

Is there a court appointed special advocate for the child? Is he or she seeing a therapist? The therapist could perhaps advocate.

Is the horse boarded?

I know a vet said the hay wasn’t good quality and it was a minor concern but I’m not sure they would write a letter. I know the child has also talked to the trustee and they wouldn’t listen. Yes, the horse is boarded

Has the vet talked to the barn owner??

If the vet feels the quality of hay is a “minor concern” it really may not be a big deal.

No, honestly I think the vet is afraid of the barn owner. Either that or I get the feeling she’s talked to them before. I’m also not sure if the minor concern is just for these horses with their history of colic or for all of the horses at the barn

Be sure to offer choices of ways to fix the problems. When dealing with a nonhorse person you need to give solutions.

From what I understand they aren’t will to even accept there is a problem

From what I understand they aren’t will to even accept there is a problem

They who? Barn owner? Guardian? Who?

Is the child seeing a therapist and can that therapist advocate for the horse?

As a minor, the child has little weight to throw around here. If the vet says the hay is of little concern, it is unsurprising that the guardian isn’t making changes. Someone with some heft is going to have to stand up and say the hay is an issue. If the vet isn’t willing, perhaps the hay is not a problem.

They as in the gaurdian. The child is seeing a therapist but I don’t think they were able to advocate for the horse. The guardian believes the child is lying and refuses to look at the hay themselves

It sounds like many people with more experience than a minor child all believe the hay to be adequate.

If no one is going to stand up for what the child believes, then I think the kid is out of luck.