Unlimited access >

Children of Secretariat

Writer/photographer Patrica McQueen has been writing a series about the children of Secretariat… and I’m helping her to find any surviving children of Secretariat and I found 2 so far and she found 7… so I’m posting here in hopes that the word gets out that if anyone knows of any surviving children of Secretariat to let me know… anyone here know of any???

I think Innkeeper is still alive at 30??? I have not heard otherwise, and as of last year, the Virginia Tech MARE Center was still advertising him:

https://www.arec.vaes.vt.edu/arec/mi…nkeeper_1.html

1 Like

Most of his get would be pretty long in the tooth by now…

Semi-germane to the topic, but IIRC, the same farm that stands Artrageous has a gorgeous Innkeeper filly. I think her name is Artangel… I think she was Artrageous x Innkeeper, so not a direct descendant. She is the spitting image of a sporthorse and looks so much like Secretariat to my eye.

Their farm is either Fox Haven Farm or Fox Meadow Farm. Honestly, I considered buying her.

Your friend ought to talk to eventers - even open up a thread here. Innkeeper is very well regarded in the eventing community. He really stamped his get, they were usually more sensible than most blooded horses, nice huntery movers, and could jump out of their skin.

1 Like

Innkeeper is still alive at Virginia Tech. I am assuming they have frozen semen on him which allows them to continue breeding him. A grand old horse he is!!!

Here is a list of the last foals from Secretariat that I have record of. I am sure some of these have passed on with no record of it. I am sure others were passed on to ownership outside of racing and it wouldn’t surprise me if their papers got lost along the way; so who truly knows if they are still around :confused: . Many are owned by breeders themselves so there is a high probability some may be retired on farms somewhere; you would have to reach out to their last known ownership for information

In on The Secret: Last foal born in 2015! She had a Flatter filly. Her last connection was Earl H. Shultz in KY

Whispered Secret: Born 1990. Secretariat x Smarten mare. Last owned by Sam-Son Farms in Ontario. SHe was unraced and her last foal born in 2006 and last raced in 2009 at woodbine.

Water Sprite: Born 1990. Secretariat x Danzig mare. She was sent to Australia in 2000. Last foal born in 2005.

Sunrise Symphony: Born 1990. Secretariat x Hoist the Flag x Swoons Son. Went through Fasig Tipton in 1992. Was from PA. Last foal born in 2003 and was a decent runner at the track. Last foal was bred by John Franks in KY so this would’ve been the mare’s last owner.

Senior Secretariat. Born 1990. Secretariat x Raise a Native. Sent to Mexico in 1994. He was unraced. Had one foal that I can find. Born in 2002 but I am sure he had more offspring.

Secretlys Sister: Born 1990. Unraced. Secretariat x Turn and Count mare. Last owned by Miller Thoroughbred Farm. Last foal born in 2009 and was bred by Miller Thoroughbreds, KY.

Secretarin: Born 1990. Born and owned in Ontario. only 16000 in earnings. Last foal born in 2004; by Langhfur and was bred by Michael C. Byrne in ON.

Secretariats Ghost: Minimal racing record. He had 7 recorded offspring that I can find. Most born in late 90’s with the last being born in 1999, bred in Florida.

Secretariats Fire. Only raced at 3. Secretariat x Mr Prospector Mare. Filly born in 1990. Her last foal was born in 2013 so she very well may be alive! She was owned by Shirley Bennett in FL last

Secret of the Sea: Secretariat x Lyphard. Last known alive in 2015 in Colorado. A carbon copy of his sire.

Secret Damascus: born 1990. 28 starts. some decent results. No progeny

Sarabic: Owned and bred by Claiborne born in 1990. He was a gelding. Secretariat x Nijinsky x Damascus

Santiago Red: Last known to be at stud in Oklahoma. Born in 1990 and was unplaced. 16 offspring of note. Last born in 2006.

Sakiyah: Born in 1990. 9 starts. $71,000 in winnings. Last foal born in 2003 at the foal was bred in Australia

Risen Starlet: Last known foal was born in 2010 (named Casting) and was owned by Stone Farm in KY in her late years. She was born in 1990 and was unraced. Last foal was born in 2010 so she may still be around.

Phoenician: 50 starts.5 offspring. 4 of the 5 were born in the late 90;s with the 5th foal being born in 2007. potentially last in WA state?

Peau de Soie: 1990 mare. Last foal born in 2008. She was owned by Rollin W. Braugh last

Memorable Moment. Born 1990. Last foal born in 2004. SHe was last owned by Shirley Ann Kimball at that time

LT PInkerton: 1990 colt. Exported to Argentina in 1997.

Loam; 1990 colt. Owned by Claiborne and Gamely Corp. He did sire 1 mare in 1998 named Loam Surprise. Her dam was Weekend Surprise who was also a Secretariat daughter!

Let Em Eat Cake. 1990 born. Last foal born in 2011 so she may still be around. Last owner was Belwood stable in NY who bred her last foal. MOst of her foals were unraced so perhaps she was in a sporthorse program?

Lesperance: 1990 born. Last foal born in 2005 and was bred by Tom and Margaret Ruta of CA

Lady Secretary: Last foal born in 2012. Was last owned by Sunshine Thoroughbreds in FL who bred her foals

Insijaam: Sent to Ireland in the later 90s. Last foal was born in 2012 and was an English bred

Doug Secret: 1990 born. Last foal born in 2001

Canaan Land: Colt. 1990 born. Last foal born in 2003 and it was a PHI bred. He was exported

Years: 1990 mare. Last foal born in 2007 by Dayjur. Foal prior to this was a KY bred, bred by Stephen E. Johnson and won nearly 200,000

Trusted Company. 1990 mare. Last foal born in 2008, sired by Chapel Royal.Last foal was a NY bred bred by John R Michelotti and he was raced by the breeder

TIME ALERT: 1989 gelding. Ontario bred. online notes: This horse is currently used as a “publicity attraction”. A very gentle and “people-oriented” animal, he’s a pleasure to be around, and loves being photographed. Says he is owned by Lisa Aitchison

Spilled Beans: Last foal was a 2007 Point Given bred by Paradise Productions, LLC, Janet Morris & Chris Morris

Some Royal Lady: 1989 bred. Last foal born 2004. Foal was bred by Dr. & Mrs. Jack B. Root Jr. of Oregon

Soft Charm: Last foal born in 2004; bred by Betty L. & Larry Mabee in CA. She was the dam of $1.2 million earner Full Moon Madness

Secretly: Winner of over 180K. Last foal born in 2008 by Exchange Rate. Foal was bred by Alan Parker & Janet W. Hoke DVM of FL

Secretariat Lass; Last foal born in 2009. It was bred by Martin Stables Inc. in FL

Proud Secret. Last foal born in 2003 and it was bred by Michael McCrea in WA

Note Pad: Last foal born in 2003 and was bred in CA by Fairway Racing

Navajo Pass: Full sister to dam of Storm Cat. Last foal born in 2007, a KY bred, bred by Roger S. Braugh Jr.

MT Sequoia: Last foal born in 2004. bred by Marl Racing Stables Inc. of texas

KIND RECEPTION: Last foal born in 2010, a Ocala Marquetry. Last connection is Sandra McKinney of Florida

HUNT: Last foal born in 2008.

SUPER STAFF: Winner of over 500k. Last foal born in 2006 by Dynaformer. She was owned by Juddmonte

Shenandoah Snow: Last known to be in VA with Donna M. Hayes

SHELLYS CHARMER: Stallion.; He was last known to be standing in Canada in 2012 [SIZE=3]Jack Watson Farm.

Secret Imperatrice: Last foal born in 2010 and she is a blacktype producer. She had a 2010 afllet alex colt bred by [/SIZE]Fox Strauss Ky, LLC & Ron Blake in KY. She had some very successful jump offspring

Fantastic Ways: Was sent to England but apparently came back to USA as her most recent foals are USA breds. Last foal born 2009 by Speightstown (Speightful Ways currently standing in Arizona!). She was last owned by Summer Wind Farm in KY

BORDER RUN: 1998 gelding. Known to still be alive in recent years.

I could keep going but I have a feeling most of his offspring past this point have passed on. Secretariat had a lot of daughters so if there were more alive; I bet they are standing in a breeders retired field if they kept them around

6 Likes

Secretariat as a “child”

[ATTACH=JSON]{“data-align”:“none”,“data-size”:“full”,“data-attachmentid”:9994173}[/ATTACH]

A friend of mine who posted this said he was told Red is 3 months old. Lot of debate about his age in the picture.

secretariat 3 months.jpg

5 Likes

3 months old :eek:

I’m not good at guessing ages but 3 months?

At least the socks appear to match the picture I have of Secretariat “At The Belmont” by Tony Leonard. One of my treasured possessions. Signed by Tony Leonard.

1 Like

WOW! He had a ‘studly neck’ even back then! :eek:
And, yes agree: “the straightest hind legs” EVEH!

Are any still alive?

There is one known daughter.

I’ve been watching so many youtube videos on Secretariat this past week. I so wish that I had been able to see him.

2 Likes

Article from January 2022 when there were still two…

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/5304/special-ones-happy-official-birthday-two-last-known-secretariats/

Was getting roasted on facebook not enough for you? What is your obsession with this?

Didn’t you buy one that you’re claiming is a descendant?

Just found out that Border Run passed on December 20, 2022. So it looks like Trusted Company is the last one.

Maritime Traveler is very much still alive. I fed him carrots today. :smiley:
He is the last living offspring of Secretariat.
https://www.pedigreequery.com/maritime+traveler

3 Likes