Chiro: BS or Beneficial?

I did a little and found it helpful. However, because there was no way my shoulders could ever be adjusted “right” because of the metal plate in my collarbone, the chiro and I agreed it wouldn’t be that beneficial to continue.

Well, I’ve gone for two treatments. No difference that I can tell. I have one leg that is shorter than the other. He simply assumed that my back was crooked…perhaps it is, but every ortho and PT has noted my leg length difference and I use a lift most days. If he says he can lengthen my leg by relaxing my back…oy. I’ll give it a few more goes, then I’m quitting.

I do want to schedule a massage–my insurance will cover it if it is "prescribed’ by chiro or dr. I love massage!:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=AnotherShotEventing;5812885]
A GOOD chiropractor is worth their weight in gold. I can’t take traditional pain meds due to side effects, and with bad AS (and being a super active teenager) the pain is debilitating, but regularly going to the chiro helps a ton.[/QUOTE]

I am a massive fan of Chiro. After being wrapped around a tree and cracking all my ribs on one side in an accident in my late teens my instructors always bemoaned my dropped right shoulder. A couple of Chiro sessions and I was sitting straight- I didn’t tell my instructors I’d been- they saw it and commented on it. From then on 100% converted.

I don’t subscribe to the theory that chiropractic appointments should be kept on a routine, closely scheduled basis. IF you’re suffering from an acute injury, sure. But the ones who insist you must come weekly, or bi-weekly forever are the ones I’m referencing here.

Yes, if you’re hurting like crazy, you may very well may need to see a chiro once daily for 3 days in a row. I just did this myself with an excruciating, first-time experience with a pinched nerve. Oddly enough, I went to my doctor who in as much suggested I’d need surgery. It’s taken 2 weeks+ but I can say that the searing pain is nearly 100% gone 70% of the time, and very VERY mild the rest.

Will concur with other’s observations that a good one is priceless and bad ones or mediocre ones abound. I only go through personal recommendation from a friend. Or three if possible. When I was a teen I took the advice of a casual acquaintance to see a chiro after a car accident resulting in whiplash. THAT man hurt me… it was horrible. He adjusted me ONCE, my pain quadrupled and my loss of motion was increased dramatically. He suggested I come back again, to ‘further help’ me. Stupidly I did. More, increased pain. It was some 15 years between that experience and when I dared try it again, born from desperation.

My favorite chiro has shifted her focus to working on horses. She’s damned near psychic about where an issue lies so it’s obvious she’s a huge benefit to patience who can’t speak. I miss her dearly, and could chase her on the circuit, but it’s not always realistic. I’ve found another local practitioner who’s helped with this nerve tremendously. If I can’t use my first choice, I’ll be seeing him again in the future…

I go to a doctor prescribed Physical Therapist. A lot of what she does is what some of you describe chiros doing. She has manipulated my spine and hips to help my pain and imbalance. I also get exercises to do to hellp continue the progress.

I think a lot of the value people find in chiro treatment can also be found in PT (as in anything else, you have to find the right one!) Plus, I like that my therapist is trained, monitored and insured. She also works closely with my Ortho. I am fortunate that my Ortho is a big believer in PT. He told me that most of his patients without acute injuries (and some with) could live active, relatively pain-free lives if they get treatment early enough and go to PT and do the exercises!

Whether there’s a noticeable effect depends on what’s amiss. When I first started riding in my latter 40’s, I quickly began to experience horrific back pain that at times would lock me up so that I would spend hours sitting in a tub of hot water and eat quantities of NSAIDs. My employer had a ‘health fair’ and I signed up for a multi-month twice-per-week series of chiropractic treatments that were 90% covered by the company health plan.

After this series of treatments, I’d only go when something was amiss or if I’d spent a lot of time on airplanes. (What species of alien do they design those seats for? Particularly on Airbus planes, though to be sure, those are built in France.;))

Eventually I stopped experiencing much riding pain and when something did go awry it was typically mild and would resolve quickly. It also helped that I took Alexander Technique lessons per Sally Swift’s endorsement.

Now a few years have passed and I find that when I get a little torqued from plane rides, etc., even when there is no actual pain, that it often makes a noticeable difference in my riding and lessons after I get an adjustment or two.

Last week my chiropractor commented that oftentimes back-associated pain is muscular and not spinal, and that typically, trauma aside, anything that comes on suddenly is more likely muscular and will resolve more quickly than spinal dislocations and impingements. Miraculous one-adjustment ‘cures’ are pretty unusual.

For those who have been to a (good!) chiro, are you sore after? Would riding be a possibility the next day or so? I’ve never been and currently have insurance that would probably cover some of it, so I’m curious to try. I have the typical uneven body. Left shoulder rolls forward, left hip loose, lower back regularly painful… I am much too young for this body of mine!
If anyone knows a good chiro around northeast Georgia/Athens, let me know! :slight_smile:

I actually prefer those spring loaded thingies. I utterly despise being “Manipulated”, or having my neck “cracked”, but I did feel a major difference with the acu-pressure points being addressed after a rotten fall a few years ago. Only issue was that the chiro wanted me on a “forever” plan and I wasn’t into that game… I quit going once the pain had subsided.

I saw one 3-5x/week from 13 until I was 18. My health insurance would cover a chiro, but wouldn’t cover a breast reduction (though i had 3 chiropracters, and 2 doctors, who recommended it). Since i had the reduction, I go usually once ever 3-5 weeks (depends on how i feel).

My ex was a dirt track (race car) driver, and multiple high speed car accidents can injure your back (duh… he was shocked). He went several times a week for almost 3 years, and now goes once every other week. He stopped for 5 months and had problems again (he was told to keep going as long as he was driving, but didn’t listen).

If you find a good one, they are great. There are some that are nuts… but that’s true every where.

And yes, at first, afterwards, it would be sore for a day or two. (I had as my doctor aptly put it “breast back”… so until i got rid of the front, not much will help the back).

As a general rule I dislike chiropractors and fear going to them, I feel for the most part they are hacks and can do far too much damage way to quickly for my tastes. My fiance however was a true believer and I thought he was NUTS…until this summer that is. I have severe TMJ in both joints of my jaw and a few months back it got so bad I could not open my mouth to eat, I could barely talk, barely brush my teeth and was in a ton of pain, this went on for weeks until finally I gave in and went to see his chiropractor (she’s in W. Mass if anybody is interested and wants her name PM me) and one visit later I was able to open my mouth more, 3 visits later and I’ve not had a serious “lock jaw” episode in months. This is the first time in my life I’ve been this long without issues.
So, IMO the key is find a good chiropractor. I still don’t let anybody work on my neck when I go and I’m always vocal about what is okay and not okay. Going has also helped my hips and terrible shin splints. Not that I’ve moved I’m not sure if I’ll find somebody else but my experience with a great chiropractor was one I’m really grateful for.

there are hacks and there are healers

Like in any other medical profession.

I have chiro coverage and my chiropractor is on the floor below. I don’t go often but my experience has been wonderful.

I have seen chiropractors on and off for about 35 years.

And I put my wife on my chiro plan for $1.85 bi monthly. $15 copays. finally health care that is affordable and effective.

The latest mega study, that is a study of all the studies about how effective and why chiropractic may be compared with other ways to address the same problems, was showing that chiro work has not been shown to be effective in itself, but has a very strong placebo effect.
Because of that, since it is effective thru being such a strong placebo, it has been accepted by insurance and many MDs will refer suitable patients to the chiro’s they feel confident will help them.

If it helps you, who cares why?:slight_smile:

Yes, going to a chiro has really helped me alot. I had lots of issues, they all came to a head, and chiro work (no pt didn’t help drugs neither) has really made a very good impact on my life.

Also a chiro has helped my horse too. My horse chiro is a horse/endurance rider & endurance vet/dog/cat vet and a chiro. Does a great job with my mare and she has never complained. She goes to his house, and relaxes fast, doesn’t move when he is working on her.

Have to go more than a couple times. My insurance also pays part. I feel MUCH better than I used to, so the co-pay is worth it.

My chiro has been very helpful and was highly recommended both by co-workers, barn friends and my trainer. I was very apprehensive at first but wanted to try fixing the problem instead of taking a lot of drugs which I don’t tolerate well. After my first few visits, I was wondering why I hadn’t done it sooner.

I go to an osteopath, who does adjust me, but not always. Nothing is ever routine.

The best one I ever saw was in France, who told me every severe injury I have ever had and one I was not aware of, that I was able to later confirm.

One of my rescue horses was dead lame, got adjusted, was immediately sound afterwards and TTBOMK, was never lame again. Since the horse had no agenda, coukdnt lie and I watched him walk up lame and walk away sound, what could I say but wow?:lol:

I went to a chiro for about a year. With adjustments, PT, stretching and massage he fixed my bad lower back pain. I have a feeling it was the PT exercises and stretching, but he sure was more effective than getting endless scripts for ibuprofen from an MD.

Chiropractic

No one asked me, but I would avoid any equine chiropractor who uses a hand-held, spring loaded device commonly known as the Activator. It could help some on people, works well on dogs, but worthless for equine adjusting.
This device has several clones. One is the Chiropractic Adjusting Tool. Another is the Chiropractic Mallet.
Again, stay away from equine chiropractors who use these devices. Hire an equine chiropractor who uses hands-only moves. Those work great in the right hands.

Let’s just say that after a bad fall last March where I completely messed up my pelvic region, traditional medicine did nothing to help me long term. It was my chiropractor who got me off crutches and off the cane.

I am convinced that he is the reason I am not disabled.

Wasn’t there an equine chiropractor who used to contribute to these forums a while back? I forgot his/her name or handle. That chiropractor conducted classes I think. Anyone know? Could have been a different forum altogether.