Unlimited access >

Choosing a top jumper sire

Hi guys! I’m looking to breed my international winning 1.35m Ritual (Ramiro Z) mare this spring, and am looking for suggestions. I tried to breed her to Cornet Obolensky, but she didn’t take. :frowning:
I, of course, have researched the bejeezus out of stallions, but I know that some of you can give more insight than I can get off of a google search.
So here’s what I’m needing from a stallion- more scope and power, HEART, and correct conformation. My mare is a tick on the long side, and I would like to add a bit of bone (some height wouldn’t hurt either!). She is also very hot, so I would like to not add much more fire, but the foal does not need to be ammy safe.
Don’t worry, I have been much more detailed in my critiques of my mare, but wanted to keep it short and sweet for this post. I am working with multiple trainers, and am extremely picky about breeding, so please don’t think this is a backyard operation.
I am really trying to breed for a top top top horse, so only exceptional stallions would be considered.

Here’s what I need from you! I would love for you guys to post both your top stallion pick, and one you would NOT use. Please list your reasons for both.

I think it would be best to post the full pedigree and conformation pics.

A stallion I like: http://thestallioncompany.com/casall-ask.php

Since you tried to breed to a top stallion I think you probably know how to look up who the top jumping sires are :slight_smile:

But here’s a place to start if you really don’t

http://www.wbfsh.org/GB/Rankings/Sire%20Rankings/2015.aspx

Of course you are familiar now with the difficulty of using CO semen, and Baloubet is no longer standing, and I’ll add that I’ve found the Kashmir horses are a bit…strange. Funny in the mouth, smart and opinionated, and not the best movers. The movement itself isn’t necessarily the issue, more the trying to present them for sale to people who may not be familiar with the fact that they can be funny movers because it can be tough to imagine how they jump so well when they can move so oddly.

Yep, I am well acquainted with the wbfsh lists :slight_smile:
Thanks for your info on Kashmir

Maybe post your mare’s pedigree, or share info on her lines if you want specific recommendations -

I think I read somewhere that For Pleasure was a major factor with jumper bloodlines at the 2016 games.

Personally, I have a 3 yr old mare who is a Mannhattan daughter out of a G line mare… So a similar idea of a blend of Furioso II from the stallion, and Gotthard coming in via the dam. She’s probably going to end up 16.3. Pretty correct overall. We just started her over jumps… And are really pleased. She clearly has a natural affinity for jumping, although she’s a nice enough mover to point her at a dressage career. She’s definitely maturing slowly, but I’m happy to be patient and get her started at the right pace for her.

VDL Stud in Holland has a great many excellent stallions–if you contact them with your mare’s pedigree, I’m sure they’d be happy to recommend a good match for her, or recommend someone to talk to stateside about who to choose.

I bet most breeders, especially ones standing super jumper sires would be willing to do the same. They want their stallions’ get to be as good as possibly, so will be pretty honest if any of their stallions match your needs.

Have you looked at Cornet Obolensky sons? Cornado I + II and Caligula come to mind. Comme Il Faut is nice too but is out of a Ramiro Z dam as well.

Or Cardento

Terri

I would not choose Baloubet or Cornet O on a hot/opinionated mare.

Winningmood or Casall would be my choice of direction.

baloubet is notoriously difficult

For Pleasure would be my vote!

I am also a very big fan of Mr Blue line horses. Raw talent for jumping on every youngster I have seen, good minds and easy to ride and bring along. The irish are using these lines more for eventing/show jump horses. Plenty of stallions available with these lines including Plot Blue. I do not thing you will be disappointed with a “Blue” horse

[QUOTE=snaffle1987;8853594]
For Pleasure would be my vote!

I am also a very big fan of Mr Blue line horses. Raw talent for jumping on every youngster I have seen, good minds and easy to ride and bring along. The irish are using these lines more for eventing/show jump horses. Plenty of stallions available with these lines including Plot Blue. I do not thing you will be disappointed with a “Blue” horse[/QUOTE]

I’ve heard Mr. Blue tends to throw a tough temperament, certainly pure talent for the jumping, but mostly a pro ride.

What about Zapatero?

Who is your mare? She is half of the equation and info on her would be helpful.

It is absolutely impossible to offer a good stallion suggestion for a mare that you haven’t seen, or know its pedigree. I don’t make suggestions for mares I don’t know personally, but the person offering a suggestion should at least know that information. It is too much of a risk, and too long of a time to wait, to just wing it.

Tim

the stallion I like is Toronto- temperament, character are 8’s and his jumping, willingness to jump, etc are 9. I think he is very modern type…
it is helpful to see mare conformation shots to compare where her strengths weaknesses match up with stallions.
http://www.avalon-equine.com/toronto.html