Unlimited access >

Choosing TB or Arab stallion suggestions

You could also consider a Trakehner stallion. If you present her at an ATA inspection and she is approved the resulting foal could be registered as a Trakehner. There are several Trak stallions with eventing credentials listed HERE.

(I’m presenting my Arab stallion to the ATA later this year, so I have Traks on my mind.)

4 Likes

I have two Anglo Arabian stallions and two TB stallions (who are both black and white overo). Nothing is better than an Anglo! www.allanglos.net

2 Likes

It’s the breeding aspect- I don’t want to breed her to an overly large stallion as she is a maiden mare and I don’t want to chance increased complications. I know the foal usually adapts to the uterus and not the other way around, but repro vet figured to minimize risk, stay with a stallion 16h or under.

He certainly is a beautiful horse- thank you! I am open to non TB suggestions.

1 Like

That’s a very good point. I used to ride a Trakehner and I think so far they are my favorite warmblood.

Looking at the link now. Thank you!

Thanks so much for your input. I’m waiting to hear back about the Irish Draught Sport horse extended pedigree. I’ve met the stallion and he is quiet and quite warmblood-y overall. So far I’m seriously considering him.

I also went down the Trakehner rabbit hole a bit on another suggestion so as you said, maybe TB is not the right mix? We’ll see. We have our repro ultrasound next week, so we’ll probably know then if we are moving forward or not.

1 Like

Not to dismiss any of the concerns referring to Bey Shah and his get; but, our hands down best horse of all time was a Bey Shah gelding (of course he also was a Khemosabi grandson through his dam. I purchased him from his former owner at the age of 8 because he was too ‘hot’ for her. I found him not to be too hot at all just needing to have his energy channeled which was easily done through gymnastic exercises and giving him a job with full-time turnout. This guy did inherit the club foot; but, he went from training level through third level earning my bronze medal for me. If he had been a mare only the club foot would have prevented me from breeding. It was easily managed and this guy never ever had any trouble with it. He taught my kids how to ride and how to show after I received my bronze. I never, ever had to worry about any beginner I put on him. He always knew his job and took it seriously once it was explained to him. I like the sounds of your mare and would be considering breeding her myself if I were still breeding. I agree with looking for a stallion with a track record for producing good discipline and exemplary leg and hind end conformation, not just possessing it himself. I also don’t worry about size difference even in a maiden as long as your breeding like to like in build (similar pelvic/hip/barrel shape and alignment.) I bred more than one maiden 13-14 hand mares to my 15 and 15.1 hand stallions without issue but they were all built very much the same - stout. I think you could find a trak, morgan or TB stallion to fit your bill.

SOOOOOO many Thoroughbreds are FAR from “hot”! It’s so unfair to use that generalization. And I say that from VAST experience, stood two TB stallions for over 30 years and was a licensed trainer at the track. I could ride either of my stallions with a halter and leadline, did an entire dressage test for a client looking for temperment in that. A good Thoroughbred sport-types stallion would give you some potential size and alot of talent for eventing. I bred one that was USCTA horse of the year twice - went to prelim and then backed down to schoolmaster for younger riders and pony clubbers. I also thing TKs are a good bet - they have alot of Arab in their mix and are doing great in eventing. I would avoid a big heavy draught - so unlike the phenotype of your mare and bring nothing really to the mix that you want. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you!

I agree that TB’s are so varied overall. One of the nicest horses I’ve ever owned was a very unassuming TB mare. She had the best mind I’ve ever seen, to the point where I couldn’t believe how willing she was and kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. She passed in her teens unexpectedly and it broke my heart right in two, almost considered quitting horses. Comparing the TB’s I’ve ridden to the warmbloods, with the exception of a couple of very nice Traks, TBs are a clear favorite for me.

I’m trying not to get too caught up in the stallion search until her repro ultrasound but hopefully that turns out clean!

It’s awesome to hear your experience with a Bey Shah offspring! I have not met many of them and love to hear what other people have noticed.

I will say my little gal was hotter to start than some other horses might have been (I’ve had her since she was two) but she’s very willing and as soon as we figured out how to keep her mind occupied (read: she LOVES adding mental exercises to the ride) it was like she was a brand new horse. It took her about 7-8 years to mentally mature out, but now she is settled, and quiet and very lovely overall with good ground manners. I can take her to an endurance ride, ask her to wait while the horn sounds and the entire stampede is off, and then ride her leisurely at my own pace after everyone has left and she is amazing (I was initially concerned about the herd mentality at endurance rides so this is how we started). I’ve done a few 25-50 mile endurance rides with her totally alone (and we’ve ridden the entire way alone) and she doesn’t seem to fuss. The other thing about her is that I swear she can read my mind. She is sensitive and picks up on cues so easily, in the saddle and out - always a good reflection of my own state of affairs! She’s also weirdly in tune with how experienced people are that ride her - a few kids have ridden her and she’s always extra gentle and docile with beginners. Overall if the foal was like her, I wouldn’t be concerned.

I’ll be doing some more research into stallions with a good track record for breeding. I’m finding it a bit complex distinguishing between those known to produce good feet and those who have straight feet and are unproven…Definitely leaning TB and then Trak. I suspect that if I find a proven TB stallion I may need to have frozen semen shipped and am hoping this won’t be much of an issue (in our area, lots of TBs but the breeding track record isn’t as well established). Thank goodness for repro vets.

Your mare sounds delightful, a real treasure, and I hope you find just the right stallion for her .

I’m on a hobby horse here, but may I point out that there are genes from 20 other horses in her pedigree back 3 and 4 generations, so being worried about a club foot from Bey Shah seems slightly unnecessary. Bask is there twice, as is Bay el Bey, too.

Which ever stallion you choose, temperament and brain are probably the most important trait.

1 Like

While I generally completely agree, some of these Arab hoof/leg faults are PREPOTENT.

I say this as someone who grew up on a pretty large Arabian breeding farm. It felt like every other horse had a club foot or severely offset cannons. It’s really bred in there.

I moved on to WBs and TBs after I left home and they don’t have anything like that endemic in the breeding population to that extent.

Interestingly, the faults never caused career limitations, which is a nod to the soundness of the breed.

1 Like

Which is why I am proud to say that the Arabians in my breeding program have great feet. The breed was once known for strong balanced hooves, and some lines were never bred away from that. My farriers have always raved about the good feet of my horses. I’ve never had a club foot in any of my foals, nor in any of my foundation stock.

3 Likes

This is probably the element that drew me to Arabians. I really enjoy the responsive connection with their minds. I had that same connection with my blind TB, so it’s not just an Arabian thing, but I’ve found it to be very characteristic of many representatives of the breed. I’ve also definitely had several Arabians that had different modes for beginner versus higher level riders.

2 Likes

You might not get a whole lot of size increase. She is pretty inbred to horses that are rather small. I always thought Bask was a bigger horse but friends of mine that had bred to him and actually saw him said he was not much bigger than a pony. So her genetics are pretty consolidated. The good news is that you probably won’t get any surprises and she will probably breed pretty true to her type. The bad news is that she will probably breed pretty true to her type size wise.

I would look at stallions that had already been bred to Arabians to see what they have produced and if they increased size. And I agree - looking at Trakehners would be breeding type to type more than some of the other crosses. Some Trakehners have Arab blood several generations back and are generally not heavy types.

If you are looking at Arabs I might suggest one in the Carolinas who has Serazim on his damline. Serazim was the sire of the US Reserve eventer Vermiculus. His name is Aur Secret. Sadly although Serazim was Canadianbred he did not leave a legacy in Canada. A Canadian stallion I have thought about trying however is Ohadi Las Indianfire in BC.

I dont see a website or anything for this one…do you have any idea where his information can be found?

I haven’t seen a website or ads for Aur Secret, and I’m not sure if he is standing at public stud, but if you are on Facebook this is his current owner.

Aur Secret pedigree

Blockquote[quote=“Robin2, post:9, topic:760689, full:true”]
It’s the breeding aspect- I don’t want to breed her to an overly large stallion as she is a maiden mare and I don’t want to chance increased complications. I know the foal usually adapts to the uterus and not the other way around, but repro vet figured to minimize risk, stay with a stallion 16h or under.

He certainly is a beautiful horse- thank you! I am open to non TB suggestions.
[/quote]

Talk to stallion owners about their foals’ average size. My TB stallion is 16.2, and so far his progeny seem like they will be around his size at maturity. However, his 4 recent foals from maiden mares have all been born small. Thus far they seem to catch up by 5-6 months. Last year my April colt out of a maiden mare was nice, but a little runty compared to the huge beautiful February filly out of my proven producer. Now, as a yearling, he is a few inches taller than the filly despite being a little younger.

This year’s foals were the same…big foals out of proven mares, small foals and easy births out of the maiden mares. It may not always work this way, but I do mention it to mare owners as a positive for maiden mares.

2 Likes

AA stallion DEJA VU CHATSWORTH QUINN https://www.startingpointfarm.com/deja-vu-chatsworth-quinn

Trakehner TATENDRANG https://www.royalpalmfarm.com/untitled
Tate produces really ammy friendly offspring and a Trakehner would be a more blood type.

Trakehner VIRGINIAN SKY is 1/2 Thoroughbred https://www.eurequine.com/virginiansky

3 Likes

I guess you missed my post as it was brief.
I have two Anglo Arabian stallions. Both are lovely over fences. One is a multi National Champion and the sire of winners at the National level and at open Hunter shows.
I also have two very nice TB stallions. Gentle souls with lovely movement, who also happen to be homozygous black and are frame overo. The 6 year old is schooling nicely over fences.
Don’t let anyone tell you TBs or Anglos are hot. I have been breeding them for nearly 30 years. No one here has the experience with Anglo Arabians that I have, and they are not difficult at all. Don’t be persuaded to go to a Warmblood if that is not your goal.
https://allanglos.net/horses/stallions/item/stallions/steinway.html
https://allanglos.net/horses/stallions/item/stallions/fine-print.html
https://allanglos.net/horses/stallions/item/stallions/signalbey.html
https://allanglos.net/horses/stallions/item/stallions/signal-paint.html