Unlimited access >

Chronic Mid-body Suspensory Lesion

Hi Everyone! I’m a new member, first time poster, so thank you in advance for your help and advice.

My 12 year old gelding was diagnosed on 3/31/20 with a chronic mid-body suspensory lesion in his right hind leg. The vet commented that it’s an old injury. I’m not sure if that means it’s old as in years, months, weeks, or if it means it’s an old injury that is now re-occurring. Either way, I noticed in January he was slightly off, but he has always been weak in the back right stifle, so I thought he was just more stiff due to the winter weather. Fast forward 6 weeks, and he was just becoming more off, and I stopped riding and waited for my vet to be available. After nerve blocks, and an ultrasound, that is when the diagnosis was made.
The vet said since it was older, and since he spins in the stall, only stall him at night and turnout during the day for at least a year, and give MSM. So that is what I’m doing currently. I have also ordered Aniflex Complete since it has MSM and Glucosamine in it. I also discussed with my farrier and his vet, and they recommended I put straight bar shoes on his back feet, so that is what I’m doing as well.

Now to the question: what other remedies or care can I give? So far the vet has given me a prognosis of a 50/50 chance I’ll ever be able to ride him again. I’m fine with that, but want to up those odds if I can. I’ve heard some people say sweat wraps and poultice, but I’ve heard mixed reviews on those.

I’d be looking into two main things for a suspensory lesion:

1. shockwave
  2. some sort of injectable biologic: PRP, IRAP, Pro-Stride or Stem Cell

If the horse needs to be wrapped while stalled, I’d go with Back on Track no bows as well.

Thank you joiedevie89! Yes, my vet did say shockwave was a possibility, and I’m waiting for her to reply about injections. Someone offered the BOT boots to use at night as well, so I will start doing that.

I have a Bemer blanket I use on my horse daily. (I don’t sell them.) It came w a “cuff” for leg injuries. I lent the cuff to my sister for her knee. It helped her enough she bought a people version. I then lent the cuff to a pal whose horse had a suspensory injury. She also felt it made a difference and bought her own. If you could find one to borrow or rent, it might be an option. They are expensive to try as an experiment and there are plenty of people who disregard them.

Interesting. Makes me think of that kinesiology tape, and I do know someone who has those as well. Thank you!

Any chance you could move him to a pasture situation for a year? “Spinning” can mean a lot of things but if he’s stall walking, weaving, or doing any repetitive behaviors for hours a day, it is going to make healing difficult if not impossible. They can be harder to find but I’m currently “pasture boarding”. My horse is closed up twice a day for grain, meds, blanketing, etc. My board rate is closer to full board but I get the best of both worlds.

1 Like

He was on full pasture board before the injury, but the vet recommended he come in at night to rest, but not 100% stall since he does have a tendency to spin. She also offered to order a slight sedative just to get the edge off if needed. I feed and work the barn 2-3 days a week, and as long as there isn’t a lot of commotion, he seems to be settling in. The worker who fed this morning said he kept a tidy stall last night, so hopefully that’s a good sign. If the follow up appointment in 3 months shows no improvement, I may put him back out full time. His previous pasture had a lot of mud though and didn’t think that was good for him, while his new pasture has no mud, but he can’t be in it full time. Hope that makes sense.