Unlimited access >

Chronic Scratches - ideas and suggestions welcome!

Photo from about 2 weeks ago … currently improved with mainly just smooth, pink skin.

1 Like

Is it just on the side like in picture?

Mine goes the full circumference of both hind legs from coronet to mid fetlock. Or did to begin with.

It’s just a small patch on the side right now, it was previously on the back of the pastern as well. It’s patchy where yours seems to affect the whole leg. He’s doing OK now but it’s been very dry and he’s only been back from the rehab center less than a week. I’m still worried. You’re doing a great job with yours!

Good for you getting the bit in the back of the pastern cleared up. That’s a rough spot imo bc the skin has to flex so much when they walk.

It is hard to see in pictures, but it looks like your horse’s lesions are maybe shaped differently?

Fingers crossed your boy heals completely!

It’s so random. Like you said, the heel should be harder to clear up. I was thinking too that yours looks much different. It does not look like the same process. Mine is more like patches.

1 Like

What his lesions look like today

1 Like

I have learned so much from this site but one thing I do not understand is the practice of regularly removing the scabs. The skin barrier is compromised and the body is laying that scab down for protection while healing. Beyond a gentle wash, medication and avoiding the wet environment, debriding seems like restitching a fresh incision daily and then wondering why it’s not going well.

Hmm. Maybe I can help. When I say I removed the scabs, I’m talking about the thick protruding scabs. Not the more normal scabs like you see in my pictures above. Though some of the normal scabs do shed when I’m washing.

FWIW I’ve now had multiple vets tell me that the scabs need to come off.

They look good today! Right?

Here are some earlier pics that show the bigger scabs. Though this is after we had already been working on him for a bit

1 Like

I think so. Can see new pink skin around the scabs where the lesions have shrunk

1 Like

I don’t remove scabs that are “attached” - just the ones that are already falling off, very gently. There is a lot of information, sometimes conflicting. I have even read that bacteria or fungus live in the scabs. The last time he had scabs, they were dark, tight and very painful. They seem to “grow.”

Great job!! Mine has a lot of new pink skin today too, but also a scab that popped up on the other side of the foot today. Ugh

This is how mine started

Oh yes this picture shows these shape of the lesion in more detail. It is very different than my boy’s.

Constant Vigilance with these scratches.

Keep up the good work!

I’m toying with the idea of wrapping mine. I’m a fair hand with wraps. I’m confident I could dress and wrap this. It would be spendy, but might be worth it to be able to keep things actually clean. I dunno though.

How old is your guy? We estimate mine at 21.

Here are mine showing one leg the other is similar. This would be after washing and cleaning. He gets the crust around the outline of the lesion - so the inter part just stays pink skin but the “border” gets the crust.

A few weeks ago

Late March

Early March

1 Like

@lenapesadie Oh your poor baby!!! Those looked so terrible, but thankfully the more recent pics look much better.

@Catherine616 I think ours look the most similar of the pics posted - and both of us dealing with that unpigmented leg. Oof.

He was not in the best shape when I got him, but he is doing better. His poor teeth were gnarlier than his legs. He’s a sweetie though and worth it.

2 Likes

Oh wow. That’s very interesting to see that outer crusty edge. I can see good improvement in the most recent picture.

I guess I could try clipping mine again. He’s cool with me clipping everywhere but the sore legs of course. I haven’t tried in while though. He might be healed up enough to tolerate it or. Or could get some Dorm gel or something from vet.

1 Like

Clipping felt like the only way for the topical ointments to actually reach the scabs otherwise they were hidden by hair. But that was before the current diagnosis and now the vet advises not clipping so will be letting his hair grow out now.

1 Like