Unlimited access >

Cleaning vinyl flooring

I have put in vinyl plank flooring, its the tongue and groove style, not the glue down.
I did not notice before I installed it what the care instructions are.
The instructions clearly say. not to use a soap product when cleaning, only hot water with maybe a small amount of almond wood floor cleaner.
I don’t want to wreck my flooring but the thought of not using some kind of stronger cleaner seems weird to me, at least once in a while.
Wondering if others have used regular floor cleaner?
Does it actually damage the floor?

You might call the flooring manufacturer, ask your questions there. They should have specifics on why they say to do things their way. It does seem odd to not use soap on the vinyl. And how is wood cleaner supposed to sink into the vinyl?

My Aunt put in vinyl plank floors, loves them for easy care, withstanding constant dog dirt tracked inside and walking on it. Said it shows no wear, mops it once a week. I am considering the vinyl planks when it is time to replace my sheet vinyl that has worn so well under hard use. Not sure what kind my Aunt has, or any limitations on cleaning it. My nephew also put in the vinyl planks after seeing it in friends homes, under hard use by families. No complaints yet. Again, no name-brand for you.

1 Like

We use Mr. Clean on our vinyl plank floors. You can probably use a steam cleaner. The main thing is to have something to remove the dirt, as the vacuum just doesn’t pick up sand that well.

Apparently a steam cleaner on vinyl wood is a no-no.

How long have you had you flooring? It seems strange that the manufacture touts such a tough resistant finish yet says no cleaning products except natural products.

I have some higher end vinyl tile that I grouted in the kitchen put in about 5 years ago and about 6 mos ago I put in vinyl plank upstairs and on the stairs.

For years I used the steam cleaner downstairs with no problem. It was only when I put the plank in that I learned about the no steam rule. I wonder if that is more about preventing any moisture getting between the seams into the underlayment? In any event nothing is getting under that grouted kitchen tile so it’s still getting the occasional steam clean!

I mostly mop with water and occasionally use a cleaner for vinyl tile like the stuff that comes with the Swiffer mop. The best thing though, is my upstairs and downstairs Roomba!

2 Likes

I am a big devotee of the Swiffer! If I had a really terrible mess, I wouldn’t feel badly about spot cleaning with anything “as necessary” but for everyday cleaning I usually vacuum and wet-Swiffer mine. I really like the heavy duty dry Swiffers for dusting.

1 Like

Opps, wrong thread.

1 Like

The seams between the planks of the “Luxury” LVP is what make me skeptical about it. It just looks like an obvious weak link.

My sheet vinyl kitchen floor is 12 years old, and has held up well to wet mopping, steam, doggy diarrhea and lakes of vomit.

I mop with a swifter mop draped in a steaming hot, well wrung out rag/cloth and occasionally a dollop if diluted Dr Bronners soap in Lavender. I also jeep a spray bottle of dawn dish soap diluted, handy to spot clean with.

I love sheet vinyl… we have a remnant piece it under the macaw and cockatoo cages to catch whatever the birds throw (or deposit) on the floor. It is bombproof and the easiest “floor” to clean in the whole house. Our old house has uneven floors so the floor guy discouraged us from sheet vinyl. We have vinyl plank in the living room and soon to be rest of house and I clean it with whatever strikes my fancy that day, lots of Mr Clean or sometimes some laundry soap or whatever is around. I have the O’Cedar mop with an attached squirt bottle and it’s fabulous for light mopping since it’s just a light touch, no water marks and dries quickly. For the real swab the deck mopping I have a rag mop and wringer. Floor doesn’t seem to care what I do. We’ve had a lot of water on that floor from melting snow and a house plant that sometimes overflows and I’ve been nervous about the seams but the water stays on top.

We have bits and pieces of the scrap from installing the vinyl that we have outside in random applications and it looks as good as the stuff installed in the house. I use one piece of it to scrape the rabbit’s urine/poo litterbox outside and it still looks as new as when I grabbed it. The stuff seems to hold up to whatever we throw at it which is endearing.