Unlimited access >

CleanTrax? Post-abscess care?

My mare had a nasty abscess in her right hind 2 1/2 weeks ago that blew out of the crevice of her frog on Sept 17th. Per vets orders, I kept it wrapped with animalintex until it was done oozing, and then kept a dry wrap on it for two more days to keep it clean. She was on SMZs for 5 days as well.

Yesterday, she came in dead lame again and it seems the abscess has recurred - she’s tender in the same spot. I wrapped it again with animalintex, fortunately she’s putting more weight on it than the last time and doesn’t seem quite as uncomfortable.

In 20+ years of horse ownership, this is the first abscess I’ve dealt with, but I’ve read that it isn’t super uncommon for a bad abscess to seem to heal, and then recur a few weeks later? Anything else I should be aware of? I was worried I didn’t keep it clean enough post-rupture…could that have caused it to recur?

I just bought CleanTrax and a soaking boot and plan on soaking her hoof once it blows, in case that’s the reason it came back, but wasn’t sure what was the appropriate timeline for that? As soon as it stops oozing? Anything else I should try or be aware of?

Thanks for any advice and input!

I’m no expert.

I think the clean trax would be ok right away based on the info I received in a thread I started a while back for my senior horse.

Another product recommended to me was Sugardine. Sugar mixed with iodine. Local to me, they sell it at the feed store already mixed. Naturally I found that after I made a mess mixing my own! Other than being messy, I though the sugardine was very helpful for my horse. I used it under a wrap on his solar abscess and just slathered it on his heel and front coronet abscesses.

My horse had three abscesses blow within just a few days. Got those healed up and haven’t had anymore develop since touch wood

Good luck with your horse!

I agree sugar and iodine is good, or just iodine. I would not soak, because the soaking and animalintex wrapping keeps it wet and soft, which will leave it tender and easily bruised, when you want it to be dry and harden up now. After it blows out I like to keep it wrapped in cotton/iodine with vet wrap for a few days until it’s nice and hard again.

1 Like