Unlimited access >

Clipper Anxiety. Advice and routines please!

Just remember- it will grow back. :smiley: Even if you mess up, it’s not permanent!

I remember my first clip- Reddie had track marks EVERYWHERE. But it did grow back and I got better.

[QUOTE=Field of Dreams Mini Horses;7833726]
Just remember- it will grow back. :smiley: Even if you mess up, it’s not permanent!

I remember my first clip- Reddie had track marks EVERYWHERE. But it did grow back and I got better.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was going to say. And if you mess it up the first time, just try again next week.

I find clipping everything to be easier than making sure my lines match up!!

It will grow back. 2 weeks after the clip won’t look as bad.

Is your horse new to clipping, or is this one that has been clipped by the grooms?

If its been clipped by the grooms, do you know if they used sedation?

I’d keep a pocket of treats and dispense as needed.

For mine that have not been clipped before, I’ll do a strip or two and then a treat…repeat. Each time I clip I try to go a few more strips prior to getting a treat. I’ve had some that would give me the eyeball to say “Hey, I DESERVE a treat!”

I found I needed to soap and rinse twice and really scrub the haunches to get the embedded dirt out.

Vetrolin makes a coat spray similar to Show Sheen. Any of those that will make the coat slick will work.

I’d wear a snug fitting shirt (maybe even a turtleneck) left untucked. That hair will get EVERYWHERE.

The difference between a good clipping job and a bad clipping job is two weeks. And you have gotten great hints on bathing, etc.

I had one that loved being clipped, and a new one who was terrified, and big enough to make a point. So I turned the “clipper lover” loose in front of the Scardy Cat, and allowed him to watch. He stood like a lamb, after watching. Some are easier than others. :slight_smile:

Plan out your lines beforehand. Don’t assume you can freehand it your first time out, and designs are best left to more experienced hands (says the person who attempted them on her first-ever clip job and failed miserably). I learned by doing hunter clips on polo ponies and used an old saddle pad as a guide. You can use masking tape as a guide for a trace clip. Take off less than you think you need to because by the time you finish evening things up your horse might be a lot more naked than you originally planned.

Check blades often for heat. Wear hair repellent clothing. Be careful in sensitive areas like the flank and girth area. Good luck!

The difference between a good clipping job and a bad clipping job is two weeks. And you have gotten great hints on bathing, etc.

I had one that loved being clipped, and a new one who was terrified, and big enough to make a point. So I turned the “clipper lover” loose in front of the Scardy Cat, and allowed him to watch. He stood like a lamb, after watching. Some are easier than others. :slight_smile:

Clean first.
Show sheen in excess all over.
Let it dry completely. Completely.

If your horse is pale, use a sharpie.
If your horse is dark, use white chalk.

Do a tracing! So you can see and follow your lines. (The chalk will go away easily, and you will clip a little over the sharpie…but even that can be washed. Use a washable one!)

Oil on the clipper and go!

I usually have the clipper in one hand and a soft brush in the other one to remove the hair while I clip.

Don’t clip too fast, or too slow; just follow the clipper!

Important: Wear clothes that hair won’t stick to it. I have a light rain coat (closed at the wrists) and old jeans. Wear a baseball cap or something and old glasses if you have some! No jewelry.

Expect at least an hour for a first big trace clip.

Have fun!!!

You’ve gotten great tips from everyone! Something I can’t stress enough is how important it is for the horse to be super CLEAN, then Show Sheened (as mentioned above). The clip will look nicer and your clippers will last longer. Just be sure to go against the direction of the hair and you’ll be golden. And, as mentioned before, it grows back. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jawa;7834815]
I find clipping everything to be easier than making sure my lines match up!!

It will grow back. 2 weeks after the clip won’t look as bad.

Is your horse new to clipping, or is this one that has been clipped by the grooms?

If its been clipped by the grooms, do you know if they used sedation?

I’d keep a pocket of treats and dispense as needed.

For mine that have not been clipped before, I’ll do a strip or two and then a treat…repeat. Each time I clip I try to go a few more strips prior to getting a treat. I’ve had some that would give me the eyeball to say “Hey, I DESERVE a treat!”

I found I needed to soap and rinse twice and really scrub the haunches to get the embedded dirt out.

Vetrolin makes a coat spray similar to Show Sheen. Any of those that will make the coat slick will work.

I’d wear a snug fitting shirt (maybe even a turtleneck) left untucked. That hair will get EVERYWHERE.[/QUOTE]

The horse in question was body clipped last year by her previous owner and I was told she did well. No sedation.

Thanks everyone for the tips!!! Heading to TSC on my lunch break to get some fresh blades and some show sheen. The weather got pretty cold over the weekend, but is back to the low 80’s this week, so she needs to get done soon!

If anyone thinks of anything else, feel free to add!

Oil the blades every few minutes, especially when you hear the sound of the clippers change. As far as clothing goes, I can’t say it enough: disposable painters suits. Get the cheap $4 paper ones, wear it over whatever clothing you want, and throw it away when you’re done. Never worry about clipped hair in your clothes ever again.

My tip: Clip them wet! Like right after a bath. The blades run much smoother and you don’t get hair up your nose. Or in your bra. Waaaaaay better than show sheen.

Also be sure to clean your clippers often and have them serviced by a professional after. I always have a dandy brush, an old toothbrush, an air can, a clean(ish) rag, and oil on hand when I clip. NOT the spray stuff…the guy who works on my clippers advised against it last year and my clippers work better now. :slight_smile:

Whenever you stop to give your horse or your arm a break, blow the hair off your clippers (getting in the crevices), brush with either dandy or toothbrush, then oil them. Make sure you run the clippers while you oil them…a drop on each end, in the middle, and around whatever parts are moving. Wipe 'em off with the towel and away you go!

Keep in mind buckskins and palominos usually have a drastically different color undercoat. They look weird in any kind if trace or partial clip so full body really is the best choice, least it looks like the same horse.

She will look different…but, as noted, it grows out pretty quickly, dapples and all.