Unlimited access >

Clipper Blade & Hot Oil Treatment Product Suggestions

[LIST=1]I am going to body clip a horse for a friend soon, and here in the desert coats get dried, burnt out, and dull very quickly.

Do any of the human oil hair treatments, like Argan Oil, work well to restore some shine post clip?
[/LIST]

[LIST=2] Has anyone tried the medium blades for the Lister Star Clippers? They come with the fine blades, but I was wondering how much longer the medium blades left the hair, or what the equivalent blade size they are?
[/LIST]

www.shapleys.com/products-2/2-heavy-oil/ Is the best I have found for post clipping. SSTack has it.

If you have access to hot water, mix the water and some baby oil in a bucket and then use a towel to wipe off the horse.

I use only medium blades with my Lister Star Clippers. The fine ones clip too close (imo), and it can be a challenge to get rid of any lines. The medium blades leave the hair a tad longer than #10 blades, which I use on the face and legs, but after a day or so, you can’t tell the difference.

Lister A2F - 1.4mm
Oster 10 - 1.5mm
Lister A2 Medium - 2.5mm

My Listers came with a fine blade and 4 body clips later it isn’t showing any signs of dulling anytime soon. Not much difference than a normal 10 blade. I messed up and clipped my last body clip too late this year but if I do it early enough, lines are gone in a week or two. If I’m being really anal I can clean them up with the Wahl Mini Arco going with the hair.

Argan oil is expensive… my favorite is coconut oil. A big blob (1/4 to 1/2 cup) dissolved in a bucket of warm water and sponged on. But then, I LOVE the smell of coconut. I know people who swear by olive oil, too.

I have used the “Cholesterol” hair treatments from the “ethnic hair” section - one brand is Queen Helene. I have also used the hot olive oil packs. Not on the body - on the tail - but I don’t see why it wouldnt work.
On the body, I use this product http://www.sstack.com/product/healthy-hair-moisturizer/ Seems to work well. But our conditions are not as brutal as yours!