Clipper Recommendations?

My Lister Star clippers have been used and abused for almost a decade and are about ready to kick the bucket, so I’m in the market for a new set. I have a set of Andis AGCs that can get the job done in a pinch, but it takes forever.

Tried to search existing threads but didn’t have much luck. I do a hunter clip on my own fine coated TB once or twice a year, and clip 2-3 other horses as needed, so not a ton of use. I’d love something with a little more power than the Andis and preferably cordless.

Any suggestions?

I’m not a professional clipper, I do two horses a year at most, but I’ve had these for 8+ years(?) and they’re still going strong. Adjustable, easily changeable blades, lightweight, and can be used corded or cordless. Not super wide so maybe you’re looking for something with a wider blade, but I love them.

https://www.chewy.com/wahl-chromado-lithium-cordless-pet/dp/206108

I came here to suggest the Andis :sweat_smile::woman_shrugging: I’ve only ever had issues with them being “slow” when I needed to replace the blade drive. But otherwise, I can have a full horse done in about 2 hours with a wide blade. Now if there is a clipper out there that can have me done in half that time I am HERE FOR IT. I hate clipping so much, it really wrecks my back. I also find that wet clipping is faster than dry clipping, and seems to be less wear on the blades and clippers.

1 Like

I really like my Andis clippers as well. Does anyone know if they make a blade guard so the T84 doesn’t clip quite so close??

Another pair of Lister Stars! :slight_smile: I haven’t found anything better. The only thing close is the Double Ks with the separate motor but I still prefer the Lister stars over them and I have both.

1 Like

Have you seen these-Lister Eclipse? They take the same blades as the Lister Star but are cordless.
I’ve been lusting after them for when my Stars finally kick it but on account of the price I will probably end up with another set of Stars :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I’ve never found a smaller/A5 type clipper that can keep up with clipping fuzzball ponies without overheating or taking forever!

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=19a04fdc-9a67-40c4-9e8f-fa3cb2059cfc&itemguid=7221eb28-b333-4e5e-b07e-fd42246e0486&sfb=1&grp=9000&grpc=9200&grpsc=9230&sp=f&utm_content=49280&ccd=IFF003&srsltid=AfmBOor0J29AtLlCsVIsJnGGjD88rNJtzx-Kj7GhSuWdscp7w4PoRXRvl8c

I prefer the Lister Star to all the other clippers I’ve owned (including Andis). But, Premiere! (my favorite blades) offers Heiniger clippers as a choice. Have no personal experience with them, and are more significantly more expensive than the Stars (priced more like the Eclipses), but they’re another possibility.

https://heiniger-large-animals.com/en/products/clippers#filter=.horse
2 Likes

The Premier Clippers are similar to the Lister Stars, but are a little more expensive. I’m not sure the upgrade is worth it, I’ve been very happy with the Lister Stars. (They were a big upgrade from my still running 40 year old Sunbeam Clipmasters.)

I also have a set of the Andis AGC and they are wonderful for heads, legs and fine work. If a horse is clean and light coated, they give a fabulous show quality body clip but they won’t stand up to abuse or being pushed through thick or dirtly hair.

Just an FYI, I clip 30 - 40 times a year. I can clip 3 a day with the Premiers or the Lister Stars, I was tired after 2 with the old Clipmasters.

1 Like

I’ve never had an issue with thick hair - clipped many a Cushings horse with mine - but dirty is certainly a problem. I can’t imagine getting a good clip with any clippers on a dirt horse though? I don’t clip for others anymore so only deal with my own horses who I subject to a thorough washing (which only entails dish soap and a scrubbie nothing fancy) and their clips turn out lovely each time.

1 Like

Posting here instead of starting a new thread.

Currently have some sort of cordless clippers that take T84 blades and the other Andis type blades. They do not seem to have as much oomph as they used to. However, we do love the cordless feature. We are good about bathing horses before clipping. We also have an extensive collection of Andis-type blades.

I have a pair of the Wahl Chromados and can’t even think about body clipping with them.

Here are my questions as we ponder replacements.

1. Am I correct in my assumption that the Lister clippers don’t work with the Andis blades?

2. There is a fine and medium Lister blade. What Andis blade corresponds best to the closeness of each. Or, which Lister blade corresponds to a A10 or T84? The clippers seem to come with a fine blade which would make me think that might be best for body clipping, but the description on the Lister site makes me think they might be a bit too close.

3. Is the loss of oomph over time a general feature of cordless clippers? It is a real thing with the ones we have: I hadn’t noticed it until I one set was broken and I got out my Laube corded clippers and realized the difference. (I unfortunately dropped said Laubes and the shop said they needed to go over the rainbow bridge due to that and more).

4. Is it worth only considering clippers that are compatible with Andis blades given our extensive collection, some of which are old enough that they sharpen quite well?

Thanks!

1.) Correct
2.) I don’t know. I switch to the Andis or old fashioned Oster A-5s for heads and legs. While they’re smaller and lighter than the OG Clipmasters, the Listers are still too big for fine work.
3.) Don’t know. Haven’t gone cordless. But loss of oomph over time is definitely a thing with corded, and usually a sign they need a tune up.
4.) That’s a tough one. I will say that the Listers are quicker, and the blades last for much longer. I think I’ve clipped 20 horses with the current set of blades and they’re still going great.

@kaya842,

I would love to clip only clean horses. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t happen. A lot of my clipping clients are foxhunters that live out 24/7, so the logistics of timing the bath for the clipping appointment is tough. Also, a lot of people don’t know how to give a really thorough bath, scrubbing down to the skin and getting all the oil and dirt out. My compromise is I have one price for clipping a clean horse, and another for clipping a dirty/indifferently bathed one. I can absolutely put a show quality clip on a dirty horse, it just takes longer and is rough on the blades and clipper motor.

2 Likes
  1. Yes, you are correct.
  2. The Lister Stars ship with a Fine blade and this gives a very close clip. Years ago, I switched to the Medium blade which gives a very slightly longer clip than the 10 blades which I use on my Andis AGC for the legs and face. It’s pretty easy to blend the two. I don’t use the T84 blades so can’t speak for that.
1 Like

I find that the Premier1 blades ( the ones meant for the Lister Stars) last much longer than the Lister brand blades. Premier1 has a trade-in policy, whereby someone can send them a set of Lister brand blades, and purchase Premier!1blades at a discount. Andis clip-on blades will not fit Lister Star clippers, which take a larger screw-on blade.

Premier Blade
Exchange Program
What is it?
Next time you need your Wahl/Lister® blades
resharpened think about upgrading them for a new
Premier blade set. Premier will send you a new set
and keep your Wahl/Lister set.
What does this save you?—$17.00
Saves you $10 off a new blade set from Premier
(retails $43) plus the $7 resharpening fee on the
used blades.
Why only Wahl/Lister blades?
Wahl/Lister blades are the only blades compatible
with Premier clipping machines.
Can I exchange for another type of blade set?
Yes! Wahl/Lister Surgicals, Fines, Mediums and
Coarses may be exchanged for Premier Surgicals,
Fines, Mediums and Coarses in any combination
(i.e. Premier Fine for a Wahl Medium).
Note: Super Surgicals and Xtra Covers can be included in this
offer. Super Surgicals will be $47 and XtraCovers will be $35.
Contact us if you have any questions.

2 Likes

The T84 give a slightly longer clip than the 10 blades so are probably pretty close to the Lister Mediums. I much prefer that length to the 10s for body clipping. Not much of an apparent difference but my clip jobs are smoother with the T84s.

Do you find that the Lister Stars are too cumbersome for legs and faces?

Heiniger clippers are my favorite! The smaller cordless ones take A5 type blades. I can do a full body clip with the Saphir horse model and 2 stock batteries, and they rarely get hot. They are 10000% worth it. Their blades are also good quality, but I will switch out to my T-84 ones sometimes.

They also have a more traditional body clipper style model that is cordless as well. I just don’t like how that type blows hair at you.

They used to have a location in the US (where I ordered mine), but I’m only seeing other retailers now. I do sometimes throw in blades and accessories into an order from an overseas tack shop where they seem to be more popular (they are made in Switzerland).

2 Likes

It looks like Premier1 stocks them: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/opal-cordless-clippers-heiniger?cat_id=167

They certainly look interesting. I can’t swing $400 for clippers right now but I’m mighty intrigued!

1 Like

Also found them here:

1 Like

I initially put off buying them due to cost, and once I got them I regretted not buying sooner!

1 Like

I find the width of the 10 blade more agile for the nooks and crannies of the lower legs and face. But that’s just me! If a horse I’m clipping tolerates the Lister Stars near the face, I will do as much of the cheeks as possible just because it’s so much faster.

3 Likes

How does the weight compare to the Lister Stars? I looked at the Lister Fusion clippers last year but they felt substantially heavier so I stuck with the Stars.

1 Like