Unlimited access >

Clippers w/ Least Vibration

I have a very thin-skinned TB, who isn’t scared of clippers, but the vibration drives him INSANE :rolleyes:. He’s great for his ears, muzzle, legs, or anything really for a short period of time. When he gets body clipped he’s usually good for about the first 15-20 mins and the he gets not-so-nice. Before anyone asks, I have tried ace, nose and lip chains and the blades are not hot, I am very careful about it.

However, he has only been body clipped with body clippers and since he doesn’t grow a thick coat I’m thinking that I can get away with a heavy duty normal clipper with a wide blade. Does anyone have any suggestions for a clipper with very little vibration? I am not too concerned about the noise, only the vibration. Thanks!

I think there are clippers with the main motor in a separate unit that you can attach to your belt, supposed to be less intense all around. I forget which brand, but maybe Oster?

Edit: ok looks like I was thinking of these double K clippers. I’ve never used them. Description doesn’t say anything about vibration, but does say they are very quiet.

https://www.doublekindustries.com/401belt_details.php

I’d be curious to hear anyone’s first hand experiences with these!

What if you do 15 minutes per day for a week?

Otherwise, I second the ones that have a separate battery pack. If you can’t find those the And is AGC2 works well with a wide blade on it.

I’ve definitely found the Oster A5s to be better with touchy horses-- the tradeoff is that they take longer. You might also try spreading it over 2-3 days.

I’ve never had a horse object to my Andis 2 speed clippers. I mainly use them for trace clips but I’d imagine they could handle a full body clip on a horse with a thin to medium coat.

Interested in learning more about this!

Wahl Iron Horse clippers are unbeatable–and the price is amazing. They are SO quiet and do the job (even full body clipping) better than clippers that are five times the price. And they don’t heat up very quickly.

I use the Andis 2-speed clippers, and they work really well on a variety of coat types. The vibration is very minimal. In fact, they are some of the quietest and smoothest clippers that I have ever used.

I ordered the Andis ACGs. The Double K ones look like they would be great, but I’m a little afraid to spend that much on a brand that I haven’t heard of before. I know that Andis are a good brand and I know people who have had them. Fingers crossed that the princess will tolerate them, and I’m probably going to start with a trace and expand it over a week or so. Thanks for all the recommendations!

For those wondering, I clipped the princess the other night with the ACGs and he was wonderful. I was able to drop the lead rope and he just stood while I clipped him. Last year he ended up getting a dose of Ace because he had a meltdown while he was 1/4 clipped, so this was clearly a huge improvement.

As a side note, I bought the Andis 7 in 1 care jar and HIGHLY recommend it. It worked so much better than any of the blade cleaning spray! It cooled down my blades super quick, but it does take a lot of the oil off the blades, so you have to be sure to oil them again after.