Unlimited access >

Clippers

Also love the Listers and Andis 2 speed. I just re-sharpen my blades on the Andis after every 2nd clip, no problem so far. However, since I got the Listers, I no longer use the Andis to do big sessions. I also swap between blades and oil oil oil. Tack of the day had the listers a bunch of times for a crazy good price.

[QUOTE=Reminisce;8013319]
I’ve been clipping professionally for over 5 years. I do not like the Oster Clip Masters (big blue clippers)- they tend to blow the clipped hair everywhere.

I use Lister Stars and will never use anything else. They are light weight, heavy duty, and make it darn near impossible to leave lines. Downside is that the blades are very expensive (~$46), but I just get them sharpened. I’ve also used the Lister Legends (slightly larger/heavier), but prefer the Stars.

For smaller clippers- I use the Oster A6’s.[/QUOTE]

I just want to say, based on your review, I just spent $450 buying these clippers :lol:

I cannot stand my old clippers, I think they’re wahl ones? They got so hot so quickly. I had andis ones before and the head kept falling off, it would never stay on! I think one of the screws was stripped.

[QUOTE=carroal;8015602]
Wow, this is great info. I can see why clipping is so expensive! She’s had one clipping lesson where she did about half the horse with Laube clippers.

I’m wondering how you all learned to clip and how much coaching did you get before you tried it on a show horse? (Btw, she’s 19 so I’m not turning a ten year old loose on our guy:)) It’s definitely time she got this skill. That being said I don’t want her to butcher him. How long does it take to master it on your own?[/QUOTE]

The first time I did it I just winged it. It didn’t look so hot :wink: but hair grows out! it helps to start with a small, patient equine for the first few times. My pony stands like a rock for clipping and is also small in terms of landmass and I’m glad I learned first on him.

The best practice is doing it. Getting tips from good clippers also helps.

Greenhawk has an excellent video on YouTube. I am sure there are others. I learned in the land of dinosaurs, before YouTube was even a glimmer in Al Gore’s eye.

[QUOTE=Sueby;8020101]
I just want to say, based on your review, I just spent $450 buying these clippers :lol:

I cannot stand my old clippers, I think they’re wahl ones? They got so hot so quickly. I had andis ones before and the head kept falling off, it would never stay on! I think one of the screws was stripped.[/QUOTE]

Sueby- enjoy!! They are worth every penny, I have two pairs and rotate them throughout the clip. Works great

For the Lister Star’s: I was looking at them on Smartpak and noticed a few people saying the fine blade made the horse look “scalped” and they wished Smartpak would cary the medium blade. What blade do you all use with this clipper?

[QUOTE=adcurtiss;8021096]
For the Lister Star’s: I was looking at them on Smartpak and noticed a few people saying the fine blade made the horse look “scalped” and they wished Smartpak would cary the medium blade. What blade do you all use with this clipper?[/QUOTE]

The listers come with fine blades- they are definitely a very very close clip. I prefer the fine blades over the mediums for my fox Hunter clients and my personal horses. The clips last a good 3-4 weeks longer than with medium blades. If you are a beginner clipper or are ready to ship down to Florida and walk into the show ring- use the medium blades. Medium blades leave less lines for more inexperienced clippers. Or are just the right length for those walking into the show ring.
I do 80% of my clips with the fine blades however, if you have a chestnut- with the fine blades- they are going to look bald (black skin).

Andis Super 2 speed are the only clippers I use anymore…

I used the Lister Fine. Yes, it’s closer but I prefer to have to clip less often!

Clippers are essential grooming tools for horses. These are used to clean up any wound areas for treatment. There are certain types of horse clippers which are best suited for specific tasks. You need to select the clipper according to your need or to meet the requirement of your horse.

Types of clippers

• [B]Battery powered clippers and trimmers[/B]
These types of clippers are light in weight and design. These are comparatively much lighter than traditional electric clippers and hence ideal piece of equipment for young horses who are new to clipping or for those who are sensitive to the sound of noisy clippers. The can be used all over the body of the horse and especially useful for sensitive and challenging areas like head, ears, underbelly and around tail.
  • [B]Traditional electric clippers[/B]
These clippers are made for heavy usage as they vary in size, noise, and weight and watt power. But main thing to make sure that they must be comfortable to hold and manoeuvre. These clippers usually come with extension cable as they are electrically powered with a source unit. You need to be always aware with these clippers as they are heavy to handle, so that your horse does not tread on it and you don't trip over it.

I have used the Andis Progress Clipper. Love it, works great and great for full body clip! But my sensitive TB does not like it. It is a bit louder, a little heavier and has more vibration if you and your horse can handle that. I just bought an Andis AGC 2 speed and was delivered yesterday and will be doing a trace clip again tomorrow as it grew in already. In March i will do a full clip for easier shed out.

The COTH police might come get me, but I’m selling my Lister Stars for 150 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

I have the Andis and use the T-84 blade, and dread clipping with them each year because they are so little and a nice clip takes me about 2-3 hours on my guy (potty breaks, walk around) I have clipped with the big Oster clippers and agree with the blowing and it’s just a pain because it’s heavy and loud I have a QH who was racing bred and has a heightened sensitivity, he is not a fan of the Osters so I’ve been in search of a deal on the Lister Stars.

As far as learning I bought my first horse when I was 21 and was given a pair of clippers shown some basics about lines and how to move the legs and pull the skin and then my trainer said good luck! Haha the best way is to just do it, take the horse out in the sun to look at your lines. I then did what most grooms, working students do, beg the owners to let me clip for free for practice. I probably did about 4-8 for free my first year then started charging $150 for a full body clip. A clean horse is the key all the bathing and showsheen is a necessity unless you feel like buying a bunch of blades and dealing with a squirrely horse.

Yes. A clean clean CLEAN horse is absolutely ESSENTIAL

I just bought the Oster A5 Turbo 2-speed and have done a single Irish clip with them. They clipped well enough; they’re advertised as a quiet motor but they’re no quieter than any other clippers I’ve used.

I re-did my trace clip with the Andis AGC 2 this past weekend. Worked really well. Always works well with a horse that works with you and stand quietly. I didn’t think that it took much longer than it did with my Andis Progress clipper. Much quieter and not as heavy making it easier for me at least. 2 thumbs up for the AGC. I did it all with a T-10 blade.