Unlimited access >

Clipping legs with fungus

We just got a new paint mare in at our barn and she has horrible fungus on all four legs. He legs are really hairy and I would like to clip them to get to the fungus, but I don’t know if I should. I know it’ll kill my clipper blades, I’m not too worried about that, but will it hurt her in any way? I’ve never had to clip with fungus, so I don’t know if it will cause open sores or anything. I’ve heard people say don’t clip and i’ve heard people say do clip, so I just wanted some advice.

The crud may not necessarily be a fungus - it may be bacterial and could also possibly have other causes. Since it sounds like a fairly serious case, I would get a vet on board with what you are doing to treat topically and advise as to whether systemic antibiotics might be called for as well. You really don’t want to mess around on your own with a lot of OTC remedies and have it turn into cellulitis or worse.

I think most vets would advise clipping if the mare will tolerate it - especially since the legs are quite hairy. Any further treatment of the crud should be more effective if the hair is out of the way.

It won’t look pretty but you can clip closer to be able to treat and not clip the scabby parts. You don’t want to make them bleed. Once cleared up, re-clip to make it look nice.

I’d clip - but not focus on making it look nice. You probably won’t be able to touch the clipper blades to the leg without making it bleed or ‘picking’ the scabs, so you’ll have to hover the clippers up off the skin.

Thanks for your input! I decided to cut it shorter with scissors which made a huge difference. And surprisingly, it doesn’t look TOO bad. From a distance… lol. I was able to wash with betadine and they dried pretty quickly and i was able to apply some topical stuff. She’s not swollen or anything, so hopefully it goes away pretty quickly. The vet is coming out thursday and said he would take a look at her too and prescribe something as needed.

It does sound like scratches. Do not clip! Do do a Search for scratches or mud fever. either of which is treatable but time consuming. Leaves the scabs alone.

It does sound like scratches. Do not clip! Do do a Search for scratches or mud fever. either of which is treatable but time consuming. Leaves the scabs alone.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?266840-Fungus-on-hind-legs-What-gets-rid-of-it