Unlimited access >

Cloning spin off - if you could/were forced to would you

You’ve either got all the money in the world or someone offers you a lot of money to clone your horse -

If you could clone your current (or a past) horse, would you? If so, why?

My current - absolutely. I’d love to know how this people horse who had not people for some years when the beginning of her work life should have started would turn out.

Previous - absolutely. I’d like to know if different management as a young horse would have ended up with a different outcome + he was a Very Fancy Mover, very people oriented, afraid of nothing, exceptionally athletic and rideable. Plus, with better diagnostics these days, I’d like to know, if he ran down the same path physically, what it actually was.

ETA - and a 3rd, because if I’ve got all the money in the world, I’ve got time for 3. A horse I started many years ago that ended up getting sold to jumper land. I’d love to know if he’d be easier to manage in his early years if he were treated for ulcers and I hadn’t had to say goodbye to him when he entered a new career. There are others, but those are the top 3.

1 Like

Sure. I’m of the opinion that every horse has made me a better handler. Cloning a horse is almost like an opportunity to go back in time to see if I can do better now.

8 Likes

I had my well known trainer at the time tell me I should seriously clone my old TB. I couldn’t afford it but wish I had. He had stunning gaits, was an ex intermediate eventer, would jump anything from anywhere with anyone aboard, brave enough to take on any trail alone, an incredible personality (gentle, smart, noble) and even had the most perfect thick luscious tail, fine braidable mane, extra silky dark bay coat and three socks and a blaze. He was the total package!

10 Likes

Does anyone know the cost to clone? Or ballpark?

I 100% would clone! I would also love to clone my first horse. We bought her from the lesson barn I rode at, and she likely came from auction so her history is unknown. Knowing what I know now about management alone, I think a lot of the things that were a challenge with her could be in large part mitigated. It would be cool to see how she would turn out a second time.

3 Likes

ViaGen charges 85 000$ USD to clone a horse. The cost has come down in recent years, it used to be more like 160 000+. Getting a genetic copy of a proven competition horse, compared to the cost of some embryos though… I’m kind of surprised it’s not more common at this point.

3 Likes

i totally would clone two of my mustangs. They came to me so old, so wild, that they will only ever be gentle and tame-ish. I doubt ever rideable (though that is my goal anyway). Other than them, i don’t think i would clone another horse. Every horse i’ve ever had has been a joy…a jewel, with their own intrinsic brightness and flaws, and captivatingly interesting. Because i’m not into horse competition, their skills are almost immaterial to me. BUT…i have had samples taken from my two best dogs of yore by mizzou teaching hospital. Hopefully the samples are still viable. But, as with horses, i’ve found that my dog’next’ has always been enlightening and a joy, so i’ve not felt the need to go back. It’s tempting… And comforting to know that i could re-make my great dog Dutch should i ever have the urge.

1 Like

Isn’t there a Polo player who’s done this?
Found him:

For myself, my TB would earn a slot (test tube?)
DH’s TWH another.
& My mini so I’d have a team :grin:

1 Like

This. But I’d to know them from the start - test out a different start on their lives to see if our partnerships would have been even greater than they were/are and if my big horse could have been developed to the extent that I believed he would be.

And there is one that I would say no if I could have a choice, but would accept if someone dropped foal-aged him in my lap. Truly bonkers, truly sweet, truly athletic, but I’d not make the choice to go back with him because I can’t say for sure that early handling and much, much earlier gelding would erase that craziness and I wouldn’t care to go through the terrible degradation of confidence a second time if it did turn out to be a genetic thing.

@2DogsFarm. Suggest u start a “go fund me” for all of us who want to see Bugs cloned! Wonder if ponies are 1/2 price?

1 Like

My horse or any of my past horses, no. If I were forced to or offered a lot of money, sure. For myself? No.

My horse is great and I’ll be very sad when he’s gone, but then I’d like something different (same breed, likely). I don’t feel like getting to know the “same” horse all over again. Sure there are things I could change in round 2, but I rather just shop for another. Plus, there are things that I’ve learned while having him that have shaped my preferences for my next horse.

6 Likes

I am confused.
I understand the “if you could” part of the question, but I don’t understand the “were forced” part.

Perhaps I was undercaffeinated when I wrote that bit because I’m not really sure what I meant either :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Maybe think of it as if the only choice for your next horse was one that you owned/trained before, which would it be and why?

2 Likes

In that case, I’d clone my current horse. The last 3 were great, but I’d choose the one i have now. However, the TB I had would be a very close second.

1 Like

I would say no because I think breeding has moved forward. However I have one mare I would have loved to have an offspring from because I think her bloodlines have a lot to offer. I tried to breed her years ago and she didn’t take and she kept having anovulatory follicles. I realized I had spent all the money I could on this venture and threw in the towel. So maybe her.

3 Likes

I think I would say no. I love my current guy and would love to have a horse like him again in the future, but I also also love the fact that my horse is unique. Cloning him would feel too much like I’m trying to replace him in my mind. Hope that makes sense!

6 Likes

I would clone my very special mare. I could never in a million years have afforded a horse of her quality and training, except circumstances and a leap of faith brought her into my life when she was 22.

I got to experience what real dressage feels like - the power, the magic when everything clicks. It wasn’t always easy, but it was always fun. I learned more in a year with her than in decades of riding. Plus, she was just the kindest, sweetest, most willing little worker bee imaginable. The word no was not in her vocabulary.

Sadly, I lost her after just one year together to a strangulating lipoma. I hate that after 23 years of being cherished and adored every day, her last day involved terrible pain and fear.

I would clone 2 of her - one for me, and one for her previous owner / trainer who adored her from the day she imported her at age 4, and who trusted me with her when she could no longer keep her. And then I would breed the clone.

6 Likes

This! My current horse’s breeder would be a recipient of a clone for absolute sure. We have joked about this in the past - if one of us wins the lottery … :slight_smile:

1 Like

No.

From a breeding perspective, the last thing we need to do is reduce the size of the gene pool.

Even if a clone has the same genetics, it isn’t going to be the same horse.

I LIKE learning from a different horse.

10 Likes

No. I have had several very special horses over the years but one of the special parts of having a new horse is building that bond and learning what makes them unique in the first place.

I also think the whole cloning thing is just wrong.

3 Likes

It’s a sweet idea and a way to turn back time and perhaps overcome regrets. But cloning just replicates the DNA. It doesn’t replicate what the horse learned from his mother, his herd, or his early experience before you got him. Or your earlier self. I rode my childhood horse from 2 to 5 to up to 8 hours on trails every day. I put more hours on her in the first year than I did with my current horse in 5 years. Being young and having endless time sorted out some issues.

Anyhow I don’t necessarily feel that even with what I now know, that I’m in a position to give a foal the optimum start in life. For that I’d want mare momma in a herd on rangeland but with easy access for handling, and a great colt starter on speed dial. That’s why I’m not breeding.

5 Likes