Unlimited access >

CLOSED

[QUOTE=Lina;7146926]
Sorry, just fixed the comment above w/ the quote! My mistake! :slight_smile:

Just wanted to point out that I am not sure if BM knew mare kicked before turning out w/ Zeke. After the 2 incidents w/ Zeke and the other mare the pony mare is kept alone now. Beforehand, I am not sure if BM knew but maybe owner did? Honestly, I am not sure. And even tho I am very disappointed, BM is going to trailer my pony to clinic in a few days (unfortunately, the clinic is quite a distance) :frowning: Not sure if it will be free or if she expects us to pay ?

Thank you so much for your very informative comments! Learning a lot. And after the 2 accidents I have had w/ boarding barns, I am very skeptical. Itā€™s hard to trust your horse w/ someone because you know that in most cases they do not care about the horse as much as you do.

Hi! Thanks so much for your insight. I am just worried that I do not know enough about horses to own my own farmette. My mom tries to reassure that if anything looks off about my horse that we would contact the vet. She knows how cautious I am about things >.< I muck out stalls often, used to feed horses almost every day, muck paddocks, water buckets, and turnout, but I still feel worried that I would screw something up.

I understand totally! :slight_smile: I knew that there would be vet billsā€¦ but this just makes me pause and think. If he was laid up for a week or even a month it would be fine, no prob. But Zeke is going to be laid up for 3 months minimum, could be closer to 6 months if everything goes as planned. There is a 90% that he will be fine and will be able to be ridden, but if there is complications, he might be lame for the rest of his life.

But definitely understand where you are coming from and thank you for your input! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comment! Yes, I am still debating whether to move or not. Honestly, I just want to feel like I can trust the care given. And right now, I am not sure. Horses get injured, I definitely understand. I was just hoping that I wouldnā€™t run into fractures after only 2 months at this new barn. Thanks so much for your comment tho![/QUOTE]
Understood, Sorry, I missed the part about 6 months or more.
And truth be told only you know wether you trust this persons judgement, and if you have any doubts, you owe it to you and your horse to find a better suited barn, because once he is off stall rest you will need a safe rehab situation for him, I am so sorry this happened.
Fingers crossed that he heals fast.

[QUOTE=merrygoround;7147061]
I would wonder why, in all equine common sense, if there is such a thing, anyone would turn a strange gelding out with a mare. A mare shod all around to boot.[/QUOTE]
Yeah That occured to me as well, REally dumb ass move, new strange gelding, mare??

Thank you all for your wonderful comments! And Sannois, no need to be sorry. Honestly, there is no way of knowing when he will turned out or be ride-able again. I might be riding him by December or it could take longer. Hoping for the best outcome, but I donā€™t want to rush the healing time, so if it takes until Spring, thatā€™s ok. Talked to the surgeon and he said that it really depends on how he heals. Iā€™m thinking at least a month of stall rest (not sure about handwalking yet?), and then a few months of small turnout, and then eventually back to riding if all goes as planned. The main thing I am worried about is the care. I would really hate to trailer a laid up horse to a new facility, but I just want what is best for himā€¦ ugh this is difficult! >.< But thank you all for your input, it really means a lot to me! Hey, it could be much worse! Just gotta be grateful that I have my pony of my dreams :slight_smile:

I have to comment on the ā€œmareā€ thing. Not once, in 30+ years of a mixed large herd, has a mare been on top of the order. The highest I have ever had a mare is about 6/7th in a herd of 20+ The "alfa"s have always been the geldings.

My herds change all the time with boarders coming in and out.

IMO, it is better to be on a learning curve and learn as you go than to be around people who know or are supposed to know and really donā€™t or just donā€™t care or pay attention enough to care. There are way too many of these out there willing to take your money and allow you to think they have your interests at heart. This is not to say that you shouldnā€™t seek out more education and skill, you certainly should, but as far as horse husbandry goes, there is going to be a certain amount of knowledge that is going to come from experience anyway, and as you have already seen, some of that knowledge is going to happen when something happens. You are going to spend a lot more time looking out for your horse on a 1:1 basis than a boarding barn will do when they have a multitude of boardersā€¦just read some of the threads around here and see how often someone mentions horses not being turned out with blankets/fly masks/fly spray/being put out with halters on/not being given supplements, the list goes on and on. You will also come to know what is normal for your horse and what is not and will learn to spot when something is different or ā€œoffā€.

I spent about a year of my 21+ years in a full care board situation and it was a nightmare. Have had similar experiences several times with horses out for training with different trainers along the way. Self care board and having my own property has taught me a lot, but I have also sought out further education, both formal and on my own. I was fortunate enough my first year to have a mentor who taught me a lot, but this process never ends, you will never know everything there is to know about these animals or about this sport, so donā€™t sell yourself too short. Even tried and true veterinarians get surprised by what they are presented with on occasion.

Lina, you might ask your vet about lay up/rehab barns in your area for Zeke to stay during his recovery. They are usually less then a boarding barn since there is no need for fancy arenas, tack room and all the human needs. They carefully supervise the recovery handling post surgical meds, dressing changes, diet supervision and post operative colic watch, hand walking, supervised turn out and all the labor intensive aspects if rehab boarding barns DONā€™T do on a reliable basis (because they donā€™t have enough educated help or time).

I donā€™t blame anybody specifically but turning a new horse out with another fully shod is not particularly good judgement. If you are in business long enough, you learn to assume a new horse might get clobbered and avoid creating any opportunity. Especially if you have smallish paddocks where there is no way to avoid getting in the other horses space.

It helps a little to pay more for board to get adequate staffing to supervise you horse- like pull one out immediately if the squealing escalates into aggression. Accidents still happen butā€¦at least there is an attempt to avoid situations that can cause them.

I know you are a younger person and wonder if you realize what the surgery is going to cost both in the actual procedure (fortunately that one is not too bad), after care, recovery and loss of use while paying for upkeep? Thousands.

Sometimes ā€œooops, sorryā€ doesnā€™t cut it. I should hope they donā€™t bill you for anything over gas. And find a good rehab facility.

[QUOTE=findeight;7147701]
turning a new horse out with another fully shod is not particularly good judgement. [/QUOTE]

I think you would have a lot of boarders leave if you required them to remove hind shoes each time a new horse is introduced. I have been boarding for a very long time, and never had a new one clobbered.

Find a management system that works.

[QUOTE=Fairview Horse Center;7147108]
I have to comment on the ā€œmareā€ thing. Not once, in 30+ years of a mixed large herd, has a mare been on top of the order. The highest I have ever had a mare is about 6/7th in a herd of 20+ The "alfa"s have always been the geldings.

My herds change all the time with boarders coming in and out.[/QUOTE]

Interestingā€¦my alphas in a mixed group have always been mares.

[QUOTE=Fairview Horse Center;7147790]
I think you would have a lot of boarders leave if you required them to remove hind shoes each time a new horse is introduced. I have been boarding for a very long time, and never had a new one clobbered.

Find a management system that works.[/QUOTE]

I was in a Hunter barn near Boston that would not turn a horse with back shoes out with others, that barn had the biggest pasture I ever saw at a show barn, maybe 20 acres. They did big group turn out. It was common for other barns in the area too. They had smaller paddocks for singles or pairs. Unfortunately I have had a few clobbered over the years that were not new to the group or pair and it can get expensive-and the old schoolmaster I leased was put down shortly after I moved away after being kicked in the hock-by a new horse with back shoes some kid stuck out there against instructions.

All the other barns I was in practiced sort of an introduction period with new horses, none of them had huge pastures and they had to be sure they got along with not a lot of room. If they didnā€™t, they went solo and somebody was always within sight and earshot who knew what to do to head off trouble.

So it can happen with no fault on any side. But those responsible for the care of other peoples horses and charging for it need to be more careful and stay closer when introducing new horses or just to keep an eye on old ones-perhaps when the squealing started, somebody could have gotten over there and split them up saving OP thousands of dollars in related costs and board for an unusable horse.

But I agree a better management system is needed for OPs horse-probably at another barn.

Thanks for the responses again! I have been searching the area for rehab barns and I have found one but is fairly far away from our house. Itā€™s definitely something to think about tho.

My parents and I are pretty disappointed because we are paying quite a bit more than average for board in our area. We have already checked out many of the barns in our area and have found even some of the more expensive options do not have good turnout situations and their care is sub par. There is a lack of barns in this area w/ nice pastures and clean barns. The majority I have seen are run-down, unfortunately.

The barn I am at now is very clean and the pastures are clear and lush. The care is usually good, but I find it ebbs every once in awhileā€¦

About the surgery, yes I do know that it is very expensive. My sister and I are helping pay for the vet bills and surgery. My parents pay for the board, we pay for the tack and the horse and help w/ vet bills. I am very lucky to be privileged enough to get a pony, so I really think it is important for me to help out w/ the costs.

There is a barn about 10 minutes away from me that is a bit more expensive than the one I am at now (maybe $25 more?), but we would save gas money. I would have to meet the staff several times, but that may be an option.

Other than that, most of the other barns that fit my criteria (full-board, turn-out, clean barn, etc.) are over 40 minutes away. W/ the exception of one barn that is very $$$$. W/ that barn you are mostly just paying for indoor arena and top notch trainers which I donā€™t need because I am not showing AA, or anything competitive.

Funny the worst injury I had was an unshod kick to the chestā€¦30 staples.

[QUOTE=Fairview Horse Center;7147790]

Find a management system that works.[/QUOTE]

You must live in Utopiaā€¦not having new horses get clobbered, not having a mare be ā€œbossā€ or ā€œalphaā€, not having horses with hind shoes injure other horsesā€¦unfortunately, many of us have to live in the real world where those things do happen. Great reasons to have your own place away from boarding facilities that donā€™t watch out and anticipate those things occurring.

[QUOTE=sid;7147847]
Interestingā€¦my alphas in a mixed group have always been mares.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

OP, have you or your parents asked this barn if they have care, custody and control insurance? I would, seeing as this injury happened on their watch and sounds completely unnecessary and pretty preventable to me. I find it pretty one-sided what a no-brainer of an ā€œoopsieā€ on their part turns into your bill of several thousand dollars, unless you have major medical and surgical on your horse. But I would ask that question first and pursue itā€¦I am thinking that if you have an insurance company insuring your horse, they will be looking into it as well.

Sorry your pony got hurt in turnout.
COTH Jingles the splint injury heals and heā€™s rideable ASAP!

It happens though, so donā€™t be too hard on BO.
Figuring out with who & where to turn out a new boarder is not instant success in every case.
You may never know - nor may BO/BM - how the fight got started & it doesnā€™t matter - the bell cannot be un-rung.

As for keeping your pony at home you need to consider a few things:
How much experience do your parents & you actually have with fulltime care?
Feeding & mucking are just the tip of the iceberg.
So much more goes into it I could share a list as long as my arm & still miss something.
And even if someone is on the premises 24/7/365 unless they keep constant watch horses can & will find ways to get injured.
Calling the vet is not foolproof if you need to act in an emergency - can you provide first aid until a vet can get to your farm?
If your parents work and you are in school what happens if your horse injures himself with noone home?
Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t be done - I worked while having my horses home and depended on neighbors to call if they saw anything, but in the end it was up to me to make sure things went right.
As safe as you think you have made your farm, ā€œstuffā€ happens and you have to be ready to deal with it.

You say you have found barns 40min from home - that is really not such a terrible commute if everything else is improved & you donā€™t have to worry about the care your horse receives.

Good Luck to you & Zeke, hope you can work things out w/o moving again.

[QUOTE=LauraKY;7148372]
Funny the worst injury I had was an unshod kick to the chestā€¦30 staples.[/QUOTE]

Touche. Then again, you were not put in a paddock with a horse you did not know with no supervision or control and if it had worn back shoes? Maybe would not be around to post that.

[QUOTE=RubyTuesday;7148451]
You must live in Utopiaā€¦not having new horses get clobbered, not having a mare be ā€œbossā€ or ā€œalphaā€, not having horses with hind shoes injure other horsesā€¦unfortunately, many of us have to live in the real world where those things do happen. Great reasons to have your own place away from boarding facilities that donā€™t watch out and anticipate those things occurring.[/QUOTE]

Fairview is fortunate to have really huge open pastures for her boarded horses. The larger the pasture and open space for the ā€œacting outā€ that inevitably happens when a new herd member enters the herd, the safer it is.

Not many places are so lucky to have such big open fields to work things out without getting cornered she is. I have a good amount of land as well, some with smaller pastures. When I introduce a new horse to a herd I give them a few days NEXT to the rest of the herd to acclimate over the fenceā€¦then out they go to the big 5-7 acre fields. Lots of room to posture and run. Never an injury. Iā€™ve found that to be a good mgmt practice.

On very small pasture, I can see this sort of thing happening just throwing a new horse in.

Geldings and mares go out together all the time. Certain horses donā€™t get along with other certain horses. it has nothing to do with gender of the horses/. And i certainly cannot take my horses hind shoes off or heā€™s be lame. Very lame. He has shoes and Traction. heā€™s never kicked another horse hard enough to do damage. if at all. If a farm asked me to remove his hind shoes, iā€™d leave.

[QUOTE=merrygoround;7147061]
I would wonder why, in all equine common sense, if there is such a thing, anyone would turn a strange gelding out with a mare. A mare shod all around to boot.[/QUOTE]

THis^^^. I wonā€™t do mixed turnout. It can be more problematic than same sex turnout.

Thanks so much for all the replies! If we do decide to stay at the current barn we are at now, we are going to give very clear instructions to BM for turnout. If for some reason those are not adhered to, then we would leave for sure.

We do not have major medical on the horse as he is not a show pony or lesson pony. My parents have definitely thought about this, but do not think it is cost effective at this time. And before boarding there, you must sign liability papers & other contracts pretty much saying that if your horse is injured, the owners are not liable. My dad talked to a few lawyers and we are definitely going to have to foot the bill for the surgery and x-rays, etc.

If a horse is shod all around, they can be at the same facility as horses that are unshod (like my pony, I keep him barefoot bc I am not a big fan of shoes and he has nice, hardy feet), but just pastured alone. Horses w/ 4 shoes should be pastured alone because a strike w/ those hind hooves can do a lot of damage.

Just hoping that somehow things will work, even if I do have to move Zeke. And yes, we could drive 40 minutes to a barn if we had to, but since I am very busy w/ school and my mother works, it would be difficult to do every day or even every other day.

Were the horses introduced properly? Like turned out next to each other with over-the-fence meeting and maybe stalled next to each other?

If it were my pony, and the horses were not introduced adequately before being tuned out together, I would be leaving. Sorry but throwing out a mare shod on all four with a new gelding without introducing them first is really irresponsible and shows a lack of management skills. I would be super pissed if my horse had thousands of dollars worth of vet bills from what is essentially negligence on their part.

However, if the horses were introduced properly, and all signs pointed to they would get along, or if this was a situation where they had been turned out together for a while, then I would say accidents happen and let it go. Frustrating yes, but in that case really not the barns fault.