Unlimited access >

CLOSED

[QUOTE=Ruth0552;7149530]
Were the horses introduced properly? Like turned out next to each other with over-the-fence meeting and maybe stalled next to each other?

If it were my pony, and the horses were not introduced adequately before being tuned out together, I would be leaving. Sorry but throwing out a mare shod on all four with a new gelding without introducing them first is really irresponsible and shows a lack of management skills. I would be super pissed if my horse had thousands of dollars worth of vet bills from what is essentially negligence on their part.

However, if the horses were introduced properly, and all signs pointed to they would get along, or if this was a situation where they had been turned out together for a while, then I would say accidents happen and let it go. Frustrating yes, but in that case really not the barns fault.[/QUOTE]

The horses had seen each other around the barn (sometimes I would tie Zeke outside of the other pony’s stall). But other than that, they were not introduced.

[QUOTE=Lina;7149999]
The horses had seen each other around the barn (sometimes I would tie Zeke outside of the other pony’s stall). But other than that, they were not introduced.[/QUOTE]

That is bad management in my opinion. It is a good thing that not more than one horse got hurt…one is bad enough.

Just checked out the other 2 barns today… they both were pretty much abandoned and the pastures were in very bad condition. It was a nice relief to head back to the barn I am at now. I’ve pretty much exhausted all of my options. There are 2 barns in my area that are very $$$. One is very nice (one barn is really nice, one is in-between, and has an indoor arena), but the pasture is better where I am at. The other one has an indoor, but a lack of pasture and we are very confused about the management. The reason they are more expensive is because of the indoor riding arenas and trainers.

So, we are going to stay where we are at. We’ll work thru it!

I’ve come to the opinion, boarding is a crap shoot. Even with rules in place and all the promises made by barn owners, boarders have to take what they get. As one barn owner said to me, my place, I can do what I want. Don’t like it find you can always leave.

My own gelding came in with a broken RH medial splint bone in the Fall of 2010. It was sustained while he was living outside 24/7/365 at my house in a stable herd (hee hee hee) of his best friend and his donkey of 11 years. No damn telling what shenanigans led to that.

I am not moving him, or me, nor am I firing myself as their owner :slight_smile:

UPDATED to ADD:

whomever chunked a SHOD mare out with a strange gelding and didn’t call the vet as they did so, is an idiot.

Is it just those two turned out together?
Will more horses get added w/o introductions?

I brought a horse home yesterday to try, a horse I knew was low in the herd he was living in… He spent a few hours over the fence from my bunch and not one noise was made, no pawing, no blowing, no nothing. he wanted to eat hay. They were interested but not insane. So I turned him on out. Everyone’s a gelding, no one is bossy or pushy or a bully. Everyone got along fine- not a hoof was raised. But we sat and watched them for a good two hours and I set up another water trough, spread more hay piles than horses times two…and this AM everyone’s happy.

I took a risk but ONLY after watching them interact. And they are all dumb geldings. NO WAY with a mare. just No Way.