Unlimited access >

Coagulopathies in foals (haemophilia, etc.)

This is a total Hail Mary, just in case anyone has any experience. Foal is 3+ weeks. Since birth he has experienced skin and mucosal eruptions that bleed profusely. The vet first thought it was liver related and I understand that a foal’s liver does not produce all the clotting proteins it will until 6 months. Now they are thinking haemophilia. I’ve done a google search and also found info re: Glanzmann’s thrombasthenia, Bernard-Soulier syndrome, and von Willebrand’s disease (which I understand is an issue with German Shepards).

Has anyone had a foal with a clotting disease? I’m thinking the prognosis is not good.

This is not my foal. He is being seen by the vet regularly and the vet is consulting with a major university as well. I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience they could share.

Thanks

Fragile foal syndrome?

Thank you. I had not heard of such a thing and I’m looking it up now. Many symptoms seem to fit and I’ve passed on a couple articles.

Doesn’t look like a happy ending here, I’m afraid. Poor wee mite. :broken_heart:

How is the foal doing? Any news?

Still with us, but no improvement from my understanding. He’s on some injections, I’m assuming epoetin. It’s not clear to me that they are testing him for genetic issues which I think is what they need to find out. But, he’s not my foal so I’m just keeping up and offering help where I can.

I don’t think anyone thinks he’s going to get better, though. :sob:

So sorry to hear that. It’s so sad.