Unlimited access >

Coat Colors?

I’m in the market for a new show coat (for hunters) and was wondering what my color options are. I know Navy and Black are the classics, but they just look so boring and I’d like to stand out. My horse is grey, and looks good in dark colors. I would like to wear either Burgundy or a forest green, but I’m not sure if they’re even considered acceptable, let alone if a judge would like it. I understand if Navy and grey are my only options, but I don’t want to wear that if I can avoid it.

On the excellent advice of this forum, I just got an AA MotionLite in dark hunter green to wear on my grey (almost white) horse. As I understand things, green is ok but burgundy is not for hunters.

I first ordered a dark green RJ Classics Nora, which was an Ebay cheap purchase and had a small stain, so I returned it. I did find that the RJ Classics was a very pretty coat, but more of a structured design than the MotionLite. For example, the RJ Classics had padded shoulders. I personally like the more modern less structured ones better for me.

1 Like

New as in adding another coat to your collection of coats, or new as in you need to replace the one and only coat you have with another coat that will be a one and only coat?

Because if you’ve only got one coat, make it a navy one. Works in any ring, for any class. If you’ve already got a navy/black coat and are looking to add something else, I do really really love my hunter green RJ.

Since blue looks so nice on a grey horse, what about pushing the envelope with a (slightly) brighter blue or maybe a bolder pinstripe? I wouldn’t know specifically where to point you, but if it’s a second coat that’s the direction I’d go!

And shoulder pads! Maybe I’m crazy, and it depends on your age, but I saw a frock style coat at a dressage show last year that had BIG ol shoulder pads and it was such a contrast to all of these tech/softshell coats that can look positively frumpy. I would def want it to be more subtle in the hunter ring, but I think that adding a bit of structure to your turnout can be very pleasing to the eye and make a coat look more traditional at the same time. A bit of pushback (think GM and his rust breeches) on the style of the minute can be a fun and safe way to stand out, so long as you’re clocking in great rounds.

1 Like

Green is absolutely acceptable, and burgundy as well if you have the riding chops to back it up. Alessandro Albanese MotionLite coats are a fairly inexpensive way to experiment with those colours - they have a great range and they don’t break the bank.

There is at least one COTHer/blogger who rocks a burgundy AA at A shows in the PNW and pins quite well, and I know a number of people with the green one (I actually just ordered one!).

I’ll add my vote for the AA Motionlite in hunter green. I absolutely love mine!

I would do hunter green, especially on a grey horse.

Lavender…

OK just kidding.

I would not buy burgundy to be your only coat. Hunter, navy, and black could be. I do have to second the suggestion of French blue.