Unlimited access >

Cold hosing in cold weather

Any secret tips to cold hosing in the winter less miserably? I have to hose for the next 3 days and not looking forward to the inevitable ice patch. Even if I try to do it somewhere out of the way, I’ll inevitably be back to that spot to cold hose each time.

Ideas? He has to be hosed and not iced so sadly ice boots are not an option here

What I find gets me through the chore of cold hosing is bringing something to sit on (mounting block) and a book where I can read little segments and still feel it’s useful (“Grooming to Win” by Susan Harris worked for me).

Adding cold and ice to the equation, I would make sure you have waterproof footwear and a towel to dry your hands if you have to take your gloves off and your fingers get wet. Maybe a thermos with a hot toddy?

1 Like

If I understand correctly, you are worried about ice. Can you salt the area?

Salt to start ice patch melting, then kitty litter to provide traction.
Get the clumping litter - that can be easily swept up. The clay litter would work too, but leaves a mess.

And for yourself: waterproof gloves or cheap latex gloves you can pull over your gloves.
And if you can, get a waterproof layer (ski or snowboard pants) over whatever you’re wearing.

1 Like

we had our mare stand in a muck basket full of ice water

1 Like

I realize cold hosing is still often recommended by vets, but like clanter, I have found that teaching the horse to stay in a large bucket of iced water or a boot filled with ice water is a cleaner, more effective way to get the job done.

horse had a TV to watch, she really liked the old Mission Impossible series as there was a lot of action…