Unlimited access >

Collegiate Convertible Saddle

Hello! ![]('m a 15 year old girl with a tight budget trying to buy a good quality english saddle. My price range is anything under $600, and I’m really looking for an adjustable gullet. Well I just found a Collegiate Convertible Saddle for sale, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out! I’ve heard great reviews on the Collegiate brand, but I can’t find for the life of me anything on the Convertible model. So reviews would be super helpful, especially if you own that particular model. Also could you give your opinion on whether or not the saddle is worth it? Here are some photos, she’s selling it for $500. Thanks in advance for your help!

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2l2r80.jpg)

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/24c9ym9.jpg)

[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/2lcn50w.jpg)

If you’re set on interchangeable gullets, the Collegiate convertible will be your only option (used) in that rice range. A used Bates in good condition would be more.

In my experience, Collegiates are fine, serviceable, relatively durable entry-level saddles. I have not ridden in the Convertible, though. See if she’ll let you do a week’s trial. You really have to ride in it to know whether you’ll like it. The fact that I like riding in a saddle doesn’t necessarily mean that you will.

good luck!

I have owned this model saddle for 4 or 5 years. I’ve had it on a number of different horses, and have had a bunch of different riders use it very regularly and no complaints. They all said it was comfortable to ride in, and seems to fit a fairly wide range of horses. I have had it on a bunch of young warmbloods and like the versatility of being able to change the gullet. It’s a good saddle…good value for your dollar. I think $500 would be a fair price if it’s in good shape.

@Imlacross and @vandenbrink, you guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the feedback, it’s much appreciated. I’m going to make an offer, and possibly do a trial. If anyone else has more reviews or opinions, I’d love to hear them!

I would make an offer. I have one that I’m probably going to sell soon (not an ad!) because I don’t use it anymore due to leasing/selling the horse for which it was purchased. And I plan on asking $500… And mine’s in a little better shape, based on the pictures.

However, it’s a nice saddle, I was comfy in it.

[QUOTE=TheJenners;8199335]
I would make an offer. I have one that I’m probably going to sell soon (not an ad!) because I don’t use it anymore due to leasing/selling the horse for which it was purchased. And I plan on asking $500… And mine’s in a little better shape, based on the pictures.

However, it’s a nice saddle, I was comfy in it.[/QUOTE]

Would love to see some pics of your saddle if you’re willing to sell. I’m interested!

It’s not an ad, plus I doubt it will fit a 15 yo :slight_smile: I was just giving you a price point comparison in regards to condition. Thank you though and good luck!

[QUOTE=TheJenners;8199371]
It’s not an ad, plus I doubt it will fit a 15 yo :slight_smile: I was just giving you a price point comparison in regards to condition. Thank you though and good luck![/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks TheJenners!

do ride in it first. I have ridden in that model, and it can put you in a chair seat, but the person who owned it didn’t have that problem. The Collegiates are nice for the price, will hold up for a long time and are not a bad buy.

I think these have synthetic flocking, too, which is a nice thing to have in addition to the adjustable gullet. A saddle fitter can adjust the flock to fit your horse.

The older models do have wool flocking and much nicer leather.

The Collegiate Convertible Diploma is my favorite of the budget-friendly close contacts. Classic styling, well-balanced, synthetic flocking and a pretty generous wither clearance. $500 is a good deal. I usually see them listed for $750-800.

I won a bid of the Collegiate Sr Eventer. I think it’s older, but seriously looks BRAND NEW…not the best leather, a bit squeaky, but fit all 3 of my guys beautifully…I didn’t mind it, actually liked it so far (just got it yesterday)…It’s a decent saddle…

I use to a have a collegiate convertible because I had a shark finned Thoroughbred and we couldn’t find a local option we could afford. It never truly fit any horse I tried it on even with the different gullets, the panels were very poorly flocked and bridged like crazy and pinched the shoulders. It was also awful to ride in tipped me forward way to far and was uncomfortable. I eventually switched to a much older Barnsby which was not convertible but still fit more horses then the collegiate and was far more comfortable and improved my riding for the same price point just not as new.

@Hunter Mom, @mfglickman, @EmJ628, @Melissa.Van Doren, @galloping-gourmet

Thanks so much for the reviews they are really helpful!

@BeccaFaulkner

Thank you too, that’s a shame the Collegiate didn’t work out for you. I will diffidently keep what you said in mind, and try to get a trial if possible.