Unlimited access >

Color Question

I bought these dark grey lace up boots last year during my pregnancy and have continued to wear them postpartum as they are more forgiving to my ever-changing size. I’m hoping to get out to 1-2 competitions this summer, but am wondering if I’ll need a grey coat to match, or if I could get away with black or navy?

No you dont need to match it up, dressage is not so hung up on such things. Either black of navy would be perfectly fine

If , however, you want to shop a charcoal frock coat would probably look wonderful. Trick is to find it.

2 Likes

Is the top blue or is that just the lighting? If so, Navy should look nice. If it is also gray either black or navy are fine.

1 Like

Black is always appropriate. Navy would be nice too. Dark Grey but hard to find…

Yes, the top is blue croc and I have matching spur straps and navy laces. I thought there was a rule about the show coat having to be the same color as boots? If not, then perfect! I think a grey coat with blue collar would be super pretty, but I don’t necessarily want to spend the money on a new coat if it’s not needed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The rules, at USEF.org are pretty clear cut. No where does it say anything about matching. There are rules about color value ( tone) and darker spectrum is needed. Again, if you have black or navy, you are right in step. Be careful about the color of the laces and spur straps as they will draw attention to your legs. If you are going to show, suggest a visit to the rule book to make sure you are clear of more vital rules .

1 Like

I know exactly what you are saying because I used to think the same thing too! I think it comes from this passage:

“Protective headgear, stocks, ties, gloves and riding boots may be the same color as the coat.” (DR120 Dress, point 3)

But the key is it says may be same color, not must be the same color :slight_smile:

2 Likes