Unlimited access >

Colorado/Sonoran Desert Toads

We live outside Tucson AZ. With the monsoons, June 15 - Sept 30, also comes toxic toads. Extremely toxic to dogs.

When we moved to AZ, we were in an older, established development with an established yard. Didn’t see a toad in 2 years there. We moved last May, bigger house, bigger yard, HOA $20 a mo instead of $225. This house is on almost 1 acre of dirt. We are slowly getting it landscaped and have completed a pool.

The toads LOVE our yard. I caught 8 tonight. Top was last summer, I think 23. I fling them over our wall. We’ve secured the yard about 90% from toads and snakes. But they till get in. I have to do toad patrol after dark, before taking the dogs out. We have 4. I take them in shifts because 3 of the 4 are sick to catch them. Other is old & half blind.

We may be selling next year, so our plan to fence the immediate yard even more securely may not happen.

I’m just whining. And crossing fingers for another month that nobody gets one. Should have done toad avoidance. But at $175+ per dog…we just haven’t (cheaper than a vet bill or dead dog).
(upload://srglCIPYCAZEbg8f0hRiWani3Zm.jpeg)

2 Likes

These toads are no joke. I know more than one dog owner who lost their dog to toads. I applaud your ability to get your yard so secure! Thank you for the toxicity reminder!

1 Like

Our standard poodle got one last summer. Luckily, I caught it immediately. Rinsed her mouth for probably 10 minutes, head down & rubbing fingers all in her mouth in every crevice. Called the emergency vet. They said that’s all you can really do. If she started vomiting or convulsions, bring her in. Luckily, no after affects.

If I didn’t have dogs, I’d let them be. Tremendous bug eaters. They’re kind of fascinating, as are most of the venomous critters here

Wait, toxic toads are a thing?!

Once again happy to live where the air hurts my face.

2 Likes