Unlimited access >

Coloured hoof polish

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes.

I would like to make a coloured hoof paint that’s safe for children and ponies. It does need to stay on for days more like a few hours or even a day at the most.

We need toake vast quantities as we have a small trekking centre and kids putting it on but if I can find one that’s safe and easy to make the older kids may want to help.

Any help grateful received

http://www.twinkleglitter.com/

They have some colored hoof polishes - I remember painting our horses with it many years ago for a derby cross. :lol:

Anything else you run the risk of damaging the horse’s hoof or permanently staining it.

You could use chalk - it won’t stay on for long.

Wet the chalk, it will last longer to rub on the hooves. Chalk is about as cheap as you can get, lots of colors kids like.

Egg whites with Wilton paste food color added, might be a safe recipe for hoof paint. Wilt on colors are very bright with only small amounts added. Whip the egg whites lightly to just blend the colors in, not turn them into a frothy meranigue! Or use liquid food colors, they are cheaper but not as bright. Probably want to experiment with mixing, painting on hooves to see color results, before turning kids loose.

The glitter hoof polish is pretty pricy, stays on well. Prices for any hoof polish have gone up for what you get.

Word of warning. If you find a safe “hoof paint” to make, any glitter additions will appear everywhere on your place! Dirt, stalls, your house, car, on children, pets and tack. Not sure how that happens, but the “fairy dust” sticks to everything for a LONG time!

Sounds like a fun day.

What about tempera paint?

I am loving the Tempera/egg white idea. Plus I have our own chickens. May have to try this at the weekend

I worked at a carriage company for a while and to make the horses’ hooves glittery we painted on vegetable oil just like you would hoof oil and then shook regular craft glitter on to it. If you were riding in an arena or grass it may wear off quickly, but for us it worked great, was relatively cheap, and totally safe for their hooves.

They make clear hoof polish or Tuff Stuff - you could add food coloring to that.