Unlimited access >

Comments on posts of "lovely horses"

Also if they have TB or Arab they can look especially sad if they are not in good shape. And especially beautiful when they are. Most TB have pretty good functional conformation but when they are under muscled can look ewe neck, wasp waisted, gangly, dopey. So they are really rewarding rehab projects!

4 Likes

You don’t know what you dont know.

Also most people post on social media because they were happy with their ride and the picture might look horrible but it made their day and that’s just the right horse at the right time for them.

4 Likes

:rofl: I am quite certain people say this about me and my homely pony. Someone once gasped audibly and said ‘poor thing!’ at the sight of his then 4yo self. Others have asked what’s “wrong” with him. I’m sure some people think I’m ignorant or deluded, maybe just barn blind. :woman_shrugging: Most people just call him adorable.

Honestly, some of the ugliest horses in my career have been the most memorable, fun rides.

4 Likes

I posted a picture of one of my past horses. It was a conformation shot in the dressage forum and asked what everyone thought of his potential. He was and is downhill, short necked with a slightly sway back and well, less than inspiring just to look at him. At the time I was competing and winning at fourth level. I read lots of ‘poor horse’ comments, etc. I was later chastised for forcing such a poor individual into servitude and competing him in dressage. The background: I purchased him as a 2-year-old and knew both is parents. I even competed his dam for a while. I didn’t expect him to maintain his downhill conformation, but life simply dictates that you make do with what you have. I eventually earned my silver medal on this guy. I later sold him to a friend who has since earned her silver medal and he at the age of 23, coming 24 is still teaching students on how to ask and learn how to ride a flying change and he is sound, sound, sound.

Yeah, I knew when I originally posted his picture, I’d get lots of negative feedback and that was partially my point. Just an evaluation of a conformation shot without watching his movement or witnessing his demeanor really didn’t paint the full picture. I got roasted for that one; but, I think I had made a point. Those plain brown wrappers can be your heart horse if you just give them the appropriate opportunities to show you what they can do…and more importantly you not only need to remove the rose-colored glasses (‘cause barn blindness exists) but damn it I’m not going to the Olympics in my lifetime as a competitor, I really don’t expect my equine partners to be of that ilk either. I just want sound mind, sound body and at least some loyalty (that’s the human ego coming out). I am so grateful for the horseflesh that has filled my barns, be they fugly or not…yet, even having that equine experience I must raise my hand and say that I too when looking at responses to pictures posted sometimes has me wonder WTF am I missing? That sway back ewe neck beast??? Lovely??? Really ??? Oh well to each his own. I’m enjoying my equine journey following my own path, Aren’t’ y’all?

3 Likes

He sounds just wonderful!!! i love mustangs so very much. Any possibility you could post a photo? I wanna see him!!

When my coach came over to our farm and looked over my herd of mustangs and i pointed out the one that was quite a bit more expensive than the others, she exclaimed: “Why!?!”
lol…
Didn’t hurt my feelings one bit. I see in him what i think the others that were bidding did, he has a certain something that i guess is all on the inside…

I mentally judge, say nothing, and then discuss with friends LOL. I am not a particularly petty person, and I am kind to people I know and care for. I would NEVER say anything out in public about anyone’s horse (or dog or child). But, I am not above saying to a trusted friend “did you SEE the topline on that one???” haha. I just need an outlet for when people post ridiculous stuff.

1 Like

Aren’t we ironic beings :joy:

Mine at 3.5 was sway backed, slightly ewe necked (more postural than structural), downhill, sickle hocked and toed out. Strength and correct work have taken care of the back and neck, but the rest is what it is. I still have one heck of a time trying to get a decent picture of him :laughing: but he’s a different creature in motion. So what if he looks like a small red dumpster fire standing still!

1 Like

Sure, here is Ace,

7 Likes

LOL, here is the picture I posted several years ago with one of my former ‘fuglies’. I got roasted for even contemplating that this guy ‘do’ dressage. Further up in this thread I listed only a couple of what this guy has been able to do and done. He still is one in a million!

9 Likes

Gorgeous hooves and fetlocks and knees! Short strong cannons and pasterns… See…now WHY doesn’t everyone just love Mustangs? They are fit for function and tireless. Your Ace has a beautiful tidy head. Nice pretty muzzle, good large nostrils and those cheeks!! And you cant go wrong with a star and matching snip. What’s not to love!!! (thanks for sharing :slight_smile: )

…don’t know where you get jughead for this fella

Thank you. We love him. I happen to live in Arab and QH central so the dish is equated to beauty around here. He also wears the largest bridle of our three but he is balanced. I saw one of his daughters about a year ago. She was 4 coming 5. She is chestnut with that same star and snip and built very similarly and very sensible. Of course she too was born on the range. She was on her dam when the herd was captured so it was nice to see her all grown up and looking a lot like her sire.

1 Like

i have a father and son. (i think…need to send in DNA to be more confident about it) Pop was captured at 15-ish, his son at the same gather and he was 11-ish. What range was Ace from?

My first thought on seeing this handsome man was “oooh pretty pony!” Which I just HAVE to share considering the subject of the thread :joy:

1 Like

He’s Navajo and came out off of the Southern Rim area. His band of mares and foals wandered of the Rez due to starvation. The state confiscated them and then sold them to a dealer after the Navajo elected not to pay the fines/fees to get them back. Most were already branded; except those less than 2 years.

1 Like

He’s lovely :grin: I doubt mine will get half as far, only because of my own incompetence.

1 Like

Well believe me, when I say I never thought Monty would go as far as he did especially with the fact that I had never ridden above second level other than an occasional lesson on FEI horses when I purchased him as a two-year old. I had earned my bronze on another one of my horses by the time I had Monty showing first level. When that horse died, Monty stepped up to the plate saving his position in the barn. He was originally purchased with the idea he was a resale project. His heart has always allowed his rider to defy the odds (and logic). It’s amazing what some of those plain brown wrappers can hide underneath :slight_smile: Love what you ride and ride what you love :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The mustang I owned was / is all that. Plain bay with ermine spots on two hinds and a small star. I sold her a few years ago to a family whose daughter was just coming off ponies and the two of them hit the ground running. They kicked butt at an AA show in the .80 jumpers and took home the tri color and continued the streak in every show they entered. The daughter eventually outgrew miss mustang’s ability and now her mother rides her. She’s garnered quite a following and everyone just loves her. She’s safe, sane, and loves to jump. She has the biggest feet for such a small horse and are just lovely. I used to pick them up just to admire them.

1 Like

:heart: [quote=“Spudsmyguy, post:59, topic:765518”]
I used to pick them up just to admire them.
[/quote] :heart: