Unlimited access >

Compounded bute flavor favorites?

With the paste no longer being made, what flavor powder do you have the best luck with?

Orange has always been a no-go in my barn.
Molasses has been so-so.
I am hearing of alfalfa, apple and peppermint flavors. Which works best for syringing, if not giving in a senior mash?

It’s going to be very dependent on the horse. I have one horse that will lick up molasses with bute out of a container. I knew of another that gave her owner a scare by licking up an excessive amount of flavored powder (not sure which).

Strawberry :strawberry:, believe it or not.

Where are you located? I work at a compounding pharmacy and we still compound a bute paste (in Canada).

I remember reading an article on horses favourite flavours and surprisingly fenugreek and banana were at the top. We have these flavours but they don’t get requested a lot for equine products. We get a lot of strawberry, apple and molasses requests. We do make an apple bute powder which is quite common (after our apple flavoured bute paste).

I just got caramel apple flavored bute from vet. It’s like crack to my horses.

Mine loved the alfalfa from one brand but preferred the molasses from another. Just have to try it. Be sure to give it a good shake before you use it the first time or if it’s been sitting a while. Then let it settle a minute before you open it.

1 Like

I got a tub of molasses bute flavored powdered and my horse will absolutely not touch it. I have to mix it with a few drops of water and syringe it to him.

We had the peppermint for two oldies for years and they always ate it.

The manufacturer must have improved the flavour, I’ve never had a horse eat it willingly back in the day when the vet left it.