Compressed Hay Economics

Yes, boarders have no idea what goes into it. I’m tempted sometimes to show them my spreadsheets so that they understand why I’m such a nut about their safety, the rules, and why they can’t “just” do whatever. The other day a gal actually broke the big back barn door which will cost hundreds to fix because of the way she had been dealing with her horses for a long time. Admittedly, it was on its way out, but that was another expense that wasn’t budgeted for awhile. Every day I get another “this broke” text message my soul dies a little and especially when it’s because someone did something they were not supposed to do or when their horse with it’s special needs costs 3x as much as the lower cost horses AND is the horse that’s preventing me from doing some upgrades because of said special needs and they are whining about something being broken or the fact that I haven’t done something else yet.

Anyway - sadly the state I’m in is hard to grow grasses & legumes in. When I moved here I was shocked by how difficult lettuce was to grow (which ought to have been a sign). It simply gets too hot for most grasses to thrive, despite the long growing season. Most farmers here have great first cutting hay, but by 2nd cutting the quality is already middling at best, third cutting…well it’s ok. Getting it shipped in from out of state is a possibility, but I have to build more hay storage first or buy a hay elevator, neither of which I have and again - it’s another huge front-loaded expense. If I’m already losing money on feed, that leaves less money for capital expenditures that I need to make.

This is why, in this area, it’s rare that anyone “just” boards, and the barns that do often take terrible care of the horses, have barbed wire, and don’t feed adequately. You have to be in a training program in almost every quality barn in the area. Mandatory. Not “hey you can take a lesson if you want to”. It’s also why this property was on the market for more than a year and was almost razed, like so many other barns, for development.

The workforce shortage, increased gasoline prices, and supply chain issues that 2022 is starting with are really not making me feel super about continuing the business. I work full time, plus have a second business AND I’m 50% of my own labor workforce to be able to afford to take a loss on their horses. Even talking about it makes me feel ill. But, I’m plugging away, continuing to analyze to determine what I can do better.

Ok, I didn’t realize I had such a vent in there…but I’m going to leave it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Boarders also don’t recognize the cost of tractors, arena drags, mowers, fuel… You are wise to examine things as you are.

1 Like

I feel for you- I’ve seen all of that, and more…

1 Like

Absolutely if you feed high quality hay in quantity you can almost always cut back on bagged feed and just feed a VMS or ration balancer. Bagged feed where I live is crazy expensive compared to hay and if you were actually feeding the recommended amount say 5 lbs a day you’d go through 3 bags a month per horse at $60 to $75.

However I’m not sure why you need Standlee compressed alfalfa. Is that the only alfalfa option? We can buy it by the ton in 100 lb bales just like Timothy.

2 Likes

Regularly baled alfalfa is very hard to find here and is $16 ~45 lb bale with delivery - unknown quality - but they won’t load it into my hay loft and I don’t have an elevator so I’d have to build a building for storage or buy another shed to store it that can be locked. I can pick it up for $10.50/bale but I only have my truck and a 2 horse trailer, driving about an hour each way, so that wouldn’t be a ton of hay and would be a major hassle.

Baled grass hay of “ok” quality is $7.50 ~40 lb bale with delivery - he loads it into my hay loft with strong guys and a tall truck (it’s pretty incredible and one of the reasons I’m loathe to change suppliers). It was $6.50 when I bought the farm. It is about as nice as any of the hay I’ve seen in the area (I was a boarder before I bought the place) and everyone here throws grain down horses’ gullets like mad. My horse was on 9 quarts of Buckeye at one location to maintain weight - one of the reasons I bought the farm to begin with. He’s not a hard keeper and here is managed on hay & about 1/3 of that but he’s among the hay wasters (and he’s the dunker).

I don’t have a flatbed to go pick up my own. So no, it doesn’t necessarily have to be Standlee specifically, but, the bagged has a considerable advantage that I can leave it bagged, buy a set number when I go pick up grain each week, store it downstairs where I store the day’s hay ration, and keep close tabs on it. I haven’t seen another bagged compressed alfalfa brand here.

So, anyway, when I do the math, on a hard keeping horse (one of our “most expensive residents”) who is normally eating 25 lbs of grass hay(including wastage) + 9 lbs of senior feed, I get a daily cost of $9.10. If I can cut that by giving them 18 lbs of grass hay (including wastage), plus 5 lbs of the standlee alfalfa, + 6 lbs of senior + oil, I get a cost of $8/day. That’s a savings for that particular horse of $1/day or $30/month.

Some other horses that are here according to my feed calculator (backed up with FeedXL’s analysis) I could totally drop feed (and go to vitamins) just by substituting 5 lbs of the standlee alfalfa for SOME OF the grass hay. I’m playing with math and quantities but that’s a potential savings of $300-$400/mo for the boarded horses combined, which is significant.

Obviously, I need to experiment with this more because it’s not a “for sure” that I’ll be able to reduce the bagged feed on all of them. I did try cubes and beet pulp, but the barn staff that I have tend to rush (despite being paid per hour - it’s driving me nuts) and I don’t want to risk a choke. One of the other experiments I’m going to be doing is potentially cutting their hours and at least feeding myself, if not stall cleaning. If I do that, that will also help plus I can control waste a bit better.

I spend roughly $300/week on bagged grain for the horses that are here and pick it up once per week. Throwing a couple of bales of standlee onto my truck when I go pick up feed is a whole lot more doable than a lot of other scenarios with a lot less initial outlay.

1 Like

My trainer, my barn buddies, and I are all on a forage first feeding plan. It works best when you have good hay fed at an appropriate rate (I need to ration my mare), and a VMS fed in a mash of something like beet pulp or alfalfa cubes which expand like crazy into an impressive mash. Good hay will put and keep weight on.

Now that Timothy hay is close to $600 a ton I figure my 18 lb hay per day is $5.40 a day or or $160 a month. The VMS is I think 45 cents a day. The beet pulp and alfalfa cubes are each about 45 cents a day. So $7 a day. This is Canada in an urban area where prices are higher than USA and higher than rural Canada. Prices have really crept up in the past 5 years.

2 Likes

Oh I saw that about feeding yourself to control waste. Oh yes.

At my friends barn I can’t believe how much hay her barn help wastes. Stuff that could be swept up and fed. Hay dropped in the mud. Hay scraps on the paths. Whereas my self board setup is much easier granted but I barely waste a mouthful and even the moldy mousey hay I swept up and disposed of last summer was minimal.

2 Likes

I’m having trouble getting past the $7.50 a bale hay. In my dreams. I am currently paying $16.00 a bale plus delivery charges. I feel for you OP, you sound like you are doing your best to take great care of your boarders. I only have my 2 horses at home, but I have tried the Standlee compressed bales in the past. I did it because hay is hard to source in my part of the country (other than Coastal Bermuda, which I won’t feed). I also can’t store large amounts of hay without having mold issues due to our hot and humid climate.

I found the Standlee alfalfa has a lot of shatter, but the horses love it and it is always clean. Their Timothy is nice hay as well. It is expensive, though, and even though there was minimal waste with it I didn’t feel like I came out ahead financially by feeding it.

1 Like

Is that for a 40-45 lb bale? That’s nuts!

Horsekeeping is so different in different parts of the US much less different parts of the world!

I would much rather a forage first diet - I just found that horses were dropping weight. Not all of them, just the hard keepers. So I threw them back on senior feed (which I have because I also manage an elderly horse with no teeth) to gain weight while I tried to regroup since I had the problems I mentioned with staff.

Husband and I are talking tonight about how we might rearrange things so we can do the work ourselves. It isn’t ideal, but labor costs are out of control right now and I will fully admit to being disappointed in the gal who “came with the barn”. I know that what I’m asking is not the “way it used to be done” but this is not the barn it used to be. I was hoping to transition her into a barn manager role but it’s clear she doesn’t have the capability.

That may affect the ultimate feed choice I make, but whether I go cubes or the compressed forage, it still makes a nice dent in the upside-downness per horse.

how do you keep the tubs underneath? Don’t your horses shove / paw them around?

Yes, $16.00 for a 40-45 pound bale. It’s painful.

Ouch. I’m so sorry.

I’m afraid 2022 is going to be a hard year for us feeding horses. I’m seeing costs going up everywhere and since we are technically a luxury good no one seems to care. I get it, but it’s definitely not going to help the low-middle end barn or the home horsekeeper. Not sure what that’s going to do to the new people who have all bought horses during the pandemic who seem to be driving demand up.

Strange times, for sure.

1 Like

I read your prices and have to laugh. I live in Florida. We pay $650/ton for O/A… or more. About the same for Alfalfa.
We have many hay suppliers in Ocala, and I use Larsen’s. THey have their own fields in Idaho, and buy some other hays from Canada, AZ, and this year some eastern hay as well.
They have a compressed hay product - pasture bales. THey weigh about 1000# and are bound with heavy wire. I buy the half bales and put it on a raised platform under a shed roof, shared by two horses across a fenceline. It lasts 8-10 days. And yes I ahve to be diligent about the wires.
There is some waste, of course, but much less than flakes on the ground, as long as I pay attention. When the bale gets close to being done, it might fall apart into big chunks - I put them in hay nets and tie it to the platform (which is chest-high_.
What I would really like to figure out is how to put a big net over the entire 3x3x3 bale, but I do not know a net like that (clipped to the sides of the platform).

1 Like

All the fancy alfalfa in the world could not keep weight on some of my harder keeping TBs. Some high metabolism horses just can’t consume enough calories through forage. We’ve bred them and fitted them up beyond how their body evolved, and now have the responsibility of helping them maintain. :woman_shrugging:

Running a boarding barn is so freaking hard. Even harder when you step into someone else’s place. You have been such a consummate pro through all of this.

3 Likes

Thanks @Texarkana, I’ve certainly been trying, even when there are days when I just think I’m going to snap and kick them all out :crazy_face:

Board prices were $325 when I bought the place, and I’m up to $575 which is still not adequate since they are costing me $611/horse (with the rest of the expenses added in). That’s not including me getting paid anything, not any % of mortgage or utilities so to account for that I’d have to be in the $700-800 range at the very least. But I’ve got a ways to go in repairs and revamps before I have the facility that will bear that price.

I don’t know if all the horses will be able to go forage only, but forage first would help a ton! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that $611 factoring in the capital improvements you performed?

I have a monthly budget for it (of $2k + 400 in miscellany) but it would take many months to pay that back since we have already spent about $45k out of pocket which isn’t much but it is all coming out of my savings and other two job earnings. Eventually I’m hoping that number evens out but…that may be 5-10 years. I’m trying to avoid having to take out a HELOC or other loan but at some point that may make the most sense.

I knew we were going to have to make improvements but some of the things we were outright deceived by the former owner and real estate agent. Other things were just unexpected - lumber prices shooting up, gasoline, hay/grain. I budgeted in lots of buffer when I initially raised boarder prices but apparently not enough.

I don’t need to make a profit on the barn but I’d like to not lose my shirt, and have it be a place that I want to ride at. If it means kicking everyone else out so that at least I’m not losing on their horses while we make the improvements, that’s on the table too. I just feel badly for some of them.

I have a huge spreadsheet where I’m analyzing every last cent - it’s anxiety provoking but at least I know.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking to respond! :slightly_smiling_face: I was just curious because that $611 number is much higher than I have encountered in similar situations. I didn’t know what “expenses” you were factoring in. There’s always the obvious like feed/hay, bedding, labor (especially paid labor), utilities, incidentals, etc. But those numbers can vary so wildly.

And adding: believe me, I can empathize. Our sellers stole our barn and sheds!!! And our bathroom sink, and our doors, and a heating unit, etc. etc. I still curse their name on the regular. I wonder if I’ll ever stop. Almost none of the horse facility projects have gotten done yet but we also need to hit pause to financially reset.

2 Likes

We have a lot of seniors here and no grass. We live in a major city (less than 15 minutes from city center), and the labor that isn’t me is above $15/hr. Straight feed & bedding is around $300-$350/horse. It’s pricey. We have to have our manure hauled away at $450/load.

I’m feeding premium feeds and premium bedding (deep straw). 4x/day almost free choice hay, 4x/day grain (if needed, some get 2 or 3), blanketing/meds/etc included.

Hopefully my vision for the place will come together before I break. :slight_smile:

2 Likes