Unlimited access >

Conceal Grand-Prix Eventing at Bruce’s Field

Live stream on H&C of the dressage is on now. The judging has been… interesting.

I wish there was a way to watch it for free…I’ve been glued to the live scoring instead.

1 Like

What was interesting about the judging?

There were some pretty massive discrepancies between the two judges. Xavier Le Sauce at B marked very critically all day, but there were some huge differences on a few key horses that the commentators were pretty baffled by. William Fox Pitt was in the booth during Miks Master C’s test and did not mince words about how wrong he thought the scoring was.

Since Le Sauce is on the ground jury for the Paris Olympics, it makes you wonder what he’s really looking for (or what he really hates) and if that will impact team selection.

A few examples from the top 10, all with B marking more harshly than C:

QC Diamantaire - 9.6 pt difference
Off the Record - 7.4 pt difference
Miks Master C - 7.0 pt difference

1 Like

I saw the scoring but not the actual test. I was surprised about some of the placings after dressage. Thanks for the details!

I believe he marked her down for her changes which were two strides early. Those are double coefficient. He’s a very experienced judge.

The one US judge seemed to score some riders generously, other scores were all in line with the French judge though.

Clean changes two strides early and you get a 36.7? William Fox Pitt’s comment was “that’s a joke.”

Across the entire field there was a 3.6 point difference between the two judges, on average, which is a big enough variance for me to say the judges weren’t on the same page. 9 pairs with >5 point difference & 5 with >7 point difference is pretty significant.

2 Likes

Despite the judging discrepancies, I do feel pleased about Will Coleman’s first and second placing, sad for Phillip Dutton though.

1 Like

The other judge with Valeria pride is going to be a judge for eventing dressage at the Olympics in France this summer. …it gave a chance for the riders so do a test before him.

I did not get there to watch the dressage, but I was there in time for the show jumping, and I walked around some of the cross country course.

Holy cow. Those were some serious obstacles. The angle on the combination of the two walls in the ring that said Bruce’s Field on them looked practically impossible in person. Lol.