Unlimited access >

Conditioning Questions

I moved my mare to a new barn, and some other things in my life have at least stabilized. New barn has a much larger arena and is easier for me to get to. So, now that she is moved, and I’m working with her, I know that since she’s been off for a while, she will need to be brought into work intelligently.

That’s not me.

Right now, it’s really hot out and that gets to me, and I think her too. I was totally wiped all day after being in the round pen with her Sat. morning. The rest of Sat. was just there… She was pretty good, she let me throw a leg over the top of her from me climbing up the fence, and that surprised me. She was warm, and really, really liked the bath afterward I think, but not the worming medicine later (even though the apple flavor was supposed to go over well). Anyway, I digress…

What would be a good way to bring back a horse and rider who have both been off for a bit? Do I just go how I feel, and call that good for her too? How many times a week and how long? What sort of work? (I’m in my early 60’s and she’s 7.)

How do you tell what condition a horse is in? Do I need to check her pulse or just go by how hard she’s breathing?

(???)

And I’ve gotta’ get back on top. But conquering myself is another issue.

All help appreciated…

http://jecballou.com/online-shop/#!/~/product/category=2467897&id=10491178

Jec Ballou has a great book called Equine Fitness. In it she has a 10 week exercise program schedule that you can follow.

Obviously, use your own discretion regarding weather, if it’s a super hot day maybe take it a little easier.

It depends on what you mean by “off for a bit” – completely out of work, or partially? A month or 6 months? Turned out in a large area with others, or mostly in a stall?
If you’ve both been truly off work for a substantial time, best to start with walking. Not a good idea to start with lunging since that puts a lot of stress on tendons and ligaments that are not strong.
But it really depends on where you are starting from.

A lot depends on, as Asterix noted, where you’re starting from. But in general, I start most horses the same way: with walking under tack, NOT in the roundpen. I don’t disagree that the roundpen and lunging do offer benefits in some situations, but just going around for a morning spin as an effort to leg up a horse isn’t really one of them - you’re less likely to have control or be building strength/balance, and more likely to be stressing the horse’s soft tissue with out-of-balance stop-start-stop-starts.

So if you’re both out of shape, tack her up and take her for a walk. In the arena is fine, if that’s where your comfort level is. Out on a walking hack with a couple of friends is even better. Depending how unfit she (and you) are, I’d start with 10-15 minutes of walking every day, and build it up by 5-10 minutes per week until you’re comfortably both walking 30-40 minutes. Then add in some trotting in the ring and go from there. If you’re nervous about riding her, then consider if there is a trainer who might help you leg her back up so that you get more comfortable; if she’s inclined to be particularly stupid in her first few hacks, then go with a safe, steady-eddie friend (or ask your vet whether she might be a suitable candidate for a little ace before her initial hacks).