Unlimited access >

Conformation and movement

Not sure where I can put this, anyhow will try not to make this long.

I was wondering how conformation plays into certain issues.
Right now I have a 4 year old gelding (gelded him about 8 month ago). He’s quite a chilled out kinda guy doesn’t see the need to go anywhere in a rush, don’t get me wrong sometimes he enjoys a nice romp in the paddock and when free schooling.
Anyhow I noticed he doesn’t pick him front legs up as in he shuffles them along with no care in the world. Doesn’t matter at what spread your asking him to go he just very chilled out and shuffles along. I have noticed a little improvement in the trot but that’s about it. I also had a very experienced rider take him for a “gallop” to open him up. Nope he doesn’t stretch out those front legs or picks them up at all sometimes I’m worried if he will trip over his own feet (he has done so) he has been checked by more than one vet. I’ve had x rays done, blood taken. All is clear. He gets a deep tissue massage every week. He’s not over worked.
When he jumps (free and with rider) is the only time his knees and feet are picks up is over a jump!
A lot of people told me its training and a lot told me its his conformation and some say it’s just how he goes.
So what I’m basically asking is how much does the conformation play into this. I’ve seen horses with horrific conformation that manage to pick up their front feet.
any help would be great even if it’s just something I can do to help him to stop shuffling :confused:

Is he heavy in the front end, not gathering himself enough, maybe even inverted, U-necked, head up, back low?

You can correct that with the right concepts and skills to do so and transitions to facilitate the process.

I expect you are working him over cavalletti and gymnastics?

You can teach him tricks that require him to use each leg with awareness where they are while separate from the rest.

Actually I have done about 7 months of just ground work. I do a lot of lyberty work with him. He can Spanish walk, he was so easy to teach piaffe (I did not force this nor did I use any type of equipment to do this, he was not beaten or abused. He’s not 100% but I would say around 60%) I’ve also gotten him to be able to climb onto solid tops (I have built for him) so he can use his from legs independently. I have tried cavallettis he just does not seem to do those he will do it once then leap over 2 or 3 of them like its a big spread. I have just tried under saddle and he does the same thing. Jumping yes he likes that and lifts his legs. But for the love of god I just can’t help him to lift the legs. I’ve had 3 riders on him (1 jumper who does big tours, 1 dressage rider who is competing at int 1 and I even got just a normal horseman with over 35+ years experience) nothing still shuffles, this is why o was thinking is it due to conformation (his farrier has been working with vet to sort his feet out) but vet said there is no reason for him to not pick those legs up apart from laziness . Just need another opinion

[QUOTE=nu5ha;8265092]
Actually I have done about 7 months of just ground work. I do a lot of lyberty work with him. He can Spanish walk, he was so easy to teach piaffe (I did not force this nor did I use any type of equipment to do this, he was not beaten or abused. He’s not 100% but I would say around 60%) I’ve also gotten him to be able to climb onto solid tops (I have built for him) so he can use his from legs independently. I have tried cavallettis he just does not seem to do those he will do it once then leap over 2 or 3 of them like its a big spread. I have just tried under saddle and he does the same thing. Jumping yes he likes that and lifts his legs. But for the love of god I just can’t help him to lift the legs. I’ve had 3 riders on him (1 jumper who does big tours, 1 dressage rider who is competing at int 1 and I even got just a normal horseman with over 35+ years experience) nothing still shuffles, this is why o was thinking is it due to conformation (his farrier has been working with vet to sort his feet out) but vet said there is no reason for him to not pick those legs up apart from laziness . Just need another opinion[/QUOTE]

You are right, all that doesn’t add up to a horse that is a bit uncoordinated and is not using his front end more.

The spanish walk is a disuniting movement, that is why traditionalist dressage trainers tend to frown on it, but used to increase awareness of individual legs, it is a proven technique.

Even more puzzling that he doesn’t trot over cavalletti properly.
That makes me think maybe there is a hole in training somewhere.

We had a colt we raised that was somewhat uncoordinated, not to the point of stumbling, just not in a hurry to get moving.
That was him and he was like that out in the pasture and when riding, just who he was.
You could not get him to use himself, he just didn’t get it, so could not have learned to move any better than he did, just as some people just can’t learn to dance.

He made a wonderful, bombproof trail horse for little kids to enjoy.