Unlimited access >

Conformation for a lower/mid level eventer

What does everyone think about this guy’s conformation? I’m looking for an eventer to go at least to Prelim.

He’s 16.3 hands and six years old.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8263:whodat-say-whodat&catid=57:n-ohio-trainer-listings&Itemid=277

Thanks in advance!

He looks quite athletic, and his legs look clean given his racing history. He’s had 52 starts, 10 this year, and he hasn’t shown much in the last 8 starts. His last recorded workout was Sept. 18th.

He’s been raced pretty hard, with months when he had 3, sometimes 4 races. On the video, listen to his hoofbeats, and they sound a bit irregular: clip/clop instead of clop/clop, with the left front/right rear sounding a bit lighter.

Calls for a good PPE if you decide to pursue him. Hopefully you can check him without Bute or similar meds in his system.

THAT shoulder, and THAT hip? If the PPE isn’t terrifying, load that boy up. (I’d want more bone, myself, but it’s hard to argue with 52 starts!)

Pretty sure this horse has been previously discussed on here?

[QUOTE=judybigredpony;7197225]
Pretty sure this horse has been previously discussed on here?[/QUOTE]

Here you go :slight_smile:

good memory!

I go to see him race tomorrow. I know the track vet, so she can give me sort of a preliminary PPE. At least that way I know whether or not to get my vet to do a more extensive exam.

I sort of love that he’s been discussed on here before (thanks Judy and Alto), and reading the other discussion, I agree he has a kind of funky looking back. And that he’s pretty light boned. And that his cannons could be better. But that shoulder! That butt! *Swoon

I guess I’ll know more tomorrow. I just wanted opinions since I never trust myself making horse decisions. :uhoh:

I really like him! Good luck! Keep us posted.

Hmm, I’ve never been one for the stumpy little ones, but if you like him, have at it.

:wink:

Yesterday’s race result: this guy finished 7th of 8 in a $4000 claimer. Chart says he was on Lasix and Bute. OP- update?

I like him. I bet he is a lot of horse, though…he has that big strong bold look.

His right hind looks ‘tight’ to me-up high. May be something a letdown, groceries and chiro can fix, may be more. And I may be off base, too.

I agree he looks like a very nice boy-I would be swooning over him too! Did you go get him?

Sorry I didn’t update last night! I didn’t get back from the track until late. I watched his race and then went to look at him, and I’m still debating. I get to go back to ride him in a couple days, but there were a couple red flags that I might just be nitpicky over, but they kind of made me back off a bit.

First of all, he isn’t 16.3 hands. He wouldn’t be 16.3 hands if you beat him with the measuring stick! He’s 16.1, maybe. Which isn’t a deal breaker, but…

Second, when I mentioned a prepurchase exam, his trainer had no idea what it was. So I said vet check, and he was still blank, and then I said, very clearly, that I would want a veterinarian to look at him, and the trainer said that I didn’t need to, he is clearly sound, but if I want to waste my money, to go ahead. And even I can see that his back left fetlock is a little… sticky? I don’t know what the word I’m looking for is, but it definitely looked like there was something just a little off about his back end. Nothing drastic- he isn’t three legged lame, but something.

Third, before I said a word, the trainer offered him to me for $750 rather than $1500. And then said he’ll even go down to $500. Now, if I was actively negotiating, this would be fantastic, but I wasn’t. And not that a lower price is a bad thing, (not to mention, the horse had just come in second to last when he raced and the trainer probably just wants him out of the barn) but it seemed a tiny bit strange to me.

On the other hand, I was expecting to see Psycho, and it turns out that he’s more laid back than the pony horses. He was probably the most laid back horse there. And he still had a to die for shoulder.

What do you think? Am I just being picky? Or should I be careful?

If you liked him, proceed with a PPE. I wouldn’t dither around, or you’ll annoy the trainer or someone else will end up with him. He could be a steal.
It sounds like he isn’t nearly paying his way and they want him gone.

Not unusual for trainers to want to get rid of a horse taking up a stall–esp one who’s been out of the money and listed for sale for a while. I don’t think it’s that weird for the trainer to offer you that price, don’t let that scare you.

PPE him, and then TAKE HIM HOME!!! He’s going to jump a HOUSE.

Ride him? Not on the race track?
Vet him but go right to flexions skip physical if he is off walk with your $$$ saved.
EPM is also something I would question…yes I know of a few treated and back racing…after race they take longer to recover and are a bit wonky behind.

If anyone else wants him, go for it. I went back to see him again and ride him (I used to exercise racehorses, so yes, they let me on the track :D) and I liked his personality, and I did really want to bring him home, if only because I think he’s really sick of being a racehorse, but something was still off in his hind end the entire time. While we were trotting, he was even dragging his toes. And there are so many other horses available, I decided to keep looking.

Thanks for everyone’s help, though!