Unlimited access >

Conformation hunter in hand tack

Is there a certain style of bridle and bit for conformation hunter in hand classes ? Wondering what’s on trend for 2024.

Many horses will show in a D ring snaffle in hand, whether or not that’s what they show in over jumps.

Any clean bridle that fits well is fine.

1 Like

I think the D ring bit will always be on trend, but the flat wider nose bands with fancy stitching are all the rage now. Also depends on your horses head, I think. Mine actually looks better in the more traditional raised, thinner noseband.

2 Likes

If you do Facebook, you can scroll through many, many, many pictures of horses showing in hand on the Sallie B Wheeler championship page. Virtually all of them in the show ring are wearing a D ring, and you can see what the bridles look like these days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/345226452214871/

When I did mine in the HB a few years ago, she was still growing and had a pretty delicate head, so I showed her in a thinner, square raised bridle, and a D ring. Now that she’s grown up and outgrown the cob-sized thinner bridle, she’s in a wider noseband style that’s quite flattering and would also have been totally appropriate for in-hand, had we used it.

You want to use whatever flatters the horse’s head.

1 Like