Unlimited access >

Conformation - Hunters

Hi Guys,

My friend is interested in this little Grade mare to become her horse for hunters and jumper. I cannot put my finger on why exactly this horse looks a bit funky to me and that she doesn’t look build correctly for hunters and jumpers. Could one of you with a more trained eye help me pinpoint what conformation issue this mare might have?

What level competition is this for?

Almost anything can do two foot six at schooling shows, and mind is more important than Anything for beginners and low level.

If its more advanced competition then hunters and jumpers are quite separate things in terms of movement and speed. The same horse doesn’t do both at a higher level.

Anyhow I’d like to see her movement trot canter and form over fences before I said anything definitive.

But her croup does look a little steep and her neck seems set on low, which is never an advantage in an English discipline sport horse.

1 Like

Unbalanced front to back-- this horse has a heavier front end than back. Big head, bit upright in the shoulder, light hindquarters. I see a horse who is going to potentially be heavy on the forehand and have a difficult time snapping those knees up safely for jumps. Now, that being said, there’s no major issues there in the photos so it all comes down to movement, brain and training. I don’t see A circuit potential there but as Scribbler said, small jumps and small circuit? Most horses can.

I see long front pasterns and straight hocks, not something that would typically hold up over fences.

I don’t see anything that would disqualify the horse from low level stuff - she is not the most refined, but I assume she is wearing some “winter woollies”.

There is something about the RF from fetlock to ground that looks off in both pictures - to me, it looks like the right fetlock is larger than the left and the pastern angle is more open than it should be but the pictures are small and don’t seem to be taken directly from the side. The light/dark contrast between her dapples can also trick the eye!

My first thought as to breed was QH - if that is her breeding and if she has a decent amount of athleticism and likes to jump, that might be more important than any aspect of her conformation.

1 Like

She looks like she needs a good home, I hope she finds one.

2 Likes

Is this a public sale photo?
If not, do you have permission from the owner of this horse to post a picture of it on a public forum and invite criticism?
If not, you might consider taking it down.

@skydy yes, this a public sale photo.

I truly, truly am not trying to criticize this horse - I just wanted some insight into why her conformation looked no quite right for hunters. She seems lovely, but right now, they use her in the western discipline doing trail rides. Nothing wrong with that or her - I just am trying to move my friend away from getting her as her interest would be in hunters moving up to 2’9 eventually. And I don’t think this horse would enjoy jumping, but they also haven’t tried her over fences either.

OK, I understand you are trying to look out for you friend and discourage her from choosing this horse. Why do you think this horse would not enjoy jumping? Have you ridden the horse or have you seen others ride it?

How old is your friend? Does she currently ride hunters or is she an absolute beginner? Does she take lessons? Do you ride hunters and take lessons? I assure you, there is a purpose to these questions. :yes:

@skydy Of course and I really appreciate you looking out for the owner :slight_smile: I’d never want to shame anyone’s horse. Especially since she is loved and her owner really, really cares for her. I think this horse is fantastic just not meant for my friend, as the horse is 3, green and never jumped.

My friend is in her late 20s and she is relatively new to riding. She has been riding for about a year-ish. She takes lessons regularly (1-2 times per week)

I am in my mid-20s and take lessons as well in hunters since I was about 7 years old.

OK your friend should not be buying a green three year old. She does not know enough to train a horse on her own. The conformation is really beside the question. Even if this was a gorgeous OTTB or jumping bred warm blood, I’d say no.

Your friend should try to find a lease on an older seasoned horse, maybe a retired kids show horse. Maybe a half lease, maybe a full free lease where she pays all expenses. She will learn much more that way.

I have seen so many adult beginners take on green broke horses that are nice enough personalities then create a problem horse that takes years to fix.

Yeah these horses are cheap. But not if it takes years to be comfortable riding it. And you get hurt and lose your confidence in the process.

Just.say.no.

Green plus green equals black and blue.

9 Likes

Your friend needs guidance from a well qualified professional while shopping for a horse. Buying may not be in her best interest at this point in time. A lease (or just lessons) would be more likely to her benefit.

A 3 year old trail horse is not appropriate for her at this time. When you are beginning, if you want to buy a horse with competition in mind, you should buy a horse that has been there/done that. They may be priced out of reach, which is why a lease or just more lessons is the better path forward.

1 Like

One of my favorite sayings!

2 Likes

Nothing about that horses conformation says she couldn’t do 2’9" hunters at local or QH shows. Her muscles/top line will change with proper work and I bet she will look lovely. I’ve known and reschooled a few similar horses. Her conformation doesn’t really matter. Her brain and trainability does and you can’t tell that from a picture or video.

That said…a green horse is NOT good for a green rider to learn how to jump. That is what makes this an inappropriate horse.

1 Like

@Scribbler I couldn’t agree more. I did try to tell her that this green girl would be too much for her at this point, but she was still considering her. I was hoping some hunter conformational faults would help snap her out of it.

I’m sure we have all falling in love with a horse that is too much for at some point :stuck_out_tongue: Of course our trainer told her “no this horse is simply too green.” But my friend was still holding on to her because she is really cute, but cute doesn’t mean safe to ride :slight_smile:

Thankfully, with all of your alls help, she is looking at a much more seasoned and appropriate horse for her level that has plenty of show miles. I really appreciate all of your help and insight.

1 Like