COPD or heaves

It may just be heat (hopeful) but one of my horses has laboured breathing, her nostrils are in a constant state of flair and when the breathes it’s like she pushes to exhale. One other new thing, she has an occasional cough, in itself not unusual but each cough is accompanied by a simultanious substantial fart!

She has an appt with the vet but I’m checking here for questions to ask, meds to request, thoughts?
If it is heaves will medication allow light riding or is her riding career over? Does it improve with colder weather?

I’m just sick about this. It hurts me to watch her.

It depends on causes and how much scar tissue the lungs develop before you get it figured out. Once the lung tissue is scarred, they never get that lung capacity back.

I have relied on exercise as a major part of his management to keep my horse breathing during his seasonal allergy induced heaves season. In my experience exercise opens up the airways and they stay open for a long time afterwards. In my experience it is incredibly difficult to take my wheezing horse out for a ride (even knowing how much it will help).

Vets will advise keeping the horse as fit as possible. This to reduce the effort required to do anything when their breathing is bad. I accidentally discovered the immediate benefit of exercise, and then later accidentally discovered how effective it can be.

My horse is on Prednisolone and Hydroxyzine daily, and I keep Ventipulmin on hand for emergency support. I’ve also found Omega Alpha’s RespiFree helpful.

I have a stethoscope and stopwatch (cellphone countdown timer works great) to listen to my horse’s lungs and determine his breath count daily. Often several times daily.

I have to start his medication earlier and stop later each year. Each year he had required more medication and had a higher resting breath rate. He does have some small amount of scar tissue in each lung - I can hear it with the stethoscope.

Diagnosis was in 2014. At the end of 2021 I thought that I might have to make the euthanasia call in the spring of 2024 (because I’m not going to wait until he can’t breathe and has to have an emergency call to the vet to euthanize). I adore this horse, and so I took a chance and bought a Bemer horse set. Bemer does nothing in the moment to help, but over the long term it helps the body function as it should, and improves recovery from stress and injury.

I started using the Bemer in March of 2022 (before his season started). Two years of regular, consistent Bemer use later I am shocked (in a most wonderfully delightful way) at how well he’s doing this year. And I have non-judgemental numbers to prove the difference.

My advice is this - do what your vet advises. If your horse is not showing significant improvement within a few days, call the vet and ask for something else. Don’t wait and see, as long term inflammation scars lung tissue permanently. Learn what the various drugs do for your horse, and when you can increase or add another dose as needed. Experiment with management if this is going to be a long term issue going forward and not just some unusual infection or event. Get a stethoscope and monitor your horse’s lung sounds. Learn how your horse responds to management and medication so you can call the vet ASAP when things aren’t normal.

Don’t panic. Heaves is manageable much of the time. Continuing to ride is often beneficial!

2 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement. I have really liked this mare right from the start even though she wasn’t nearly the horse I thought I was buying. We have worked hard this year and I was starting to think we could get somewhere. Now this.

Yeah since I noticed her breathing I have not ridden her, doesn’t seem right.

What test(s) would you recommend?

How old is she? It might be worth allergy testing to see if there’s anything specific you can keep away from her.

My horse is reacting to something, or likely several somethings given the length of his season, in the natural environment. I can’t control that so never bothered. With my record keeping last year I did have ragweed show up as a prime suspect (breathing spiked worse the same day ragweed pollen spiked high, and his breathing improved when we cleared his paddock of ragweed).

My vets listened to my horse’s lungs and heart, and had him rebreathe the same air several times (using a plastic bag over his nose) to induce really deep breaths that they could listen to. Most vets should be able to figure out if it’s something like pneumonia or actually heaves. They may do a CBC (complete blood count) to see if there’s signs of infection.

1 Like

My mare had severe asthma attacks as in emergency calls and it sounded like something was stuck in her airway. At the time I was boarding and did not know the owner was letting hay accumulate under new hay (winter) out in turnout.

I removed her from that facility and her issues stopped.

A few years later I brought her home and in the process of getting set up did not realize old hay was accumulating under mats etc and she had another attack.

She has not had an attack since then and I watch her like a hawk and also work hard to keep all hay dust and bits cleaned up.

If this attack has come out of nowhere can you look for hay trapped under things and stop what is bothering your horse? Or, what HAS changed that could be the issue?

And, if you do skin testing do the skin test. That is the gold standard. Not bloodwork.

1 Like

I’m sorry you are going through this.

I would recommend a BAL with scope, and allergy testing, along with a blood panel. Those are pretty “basic” things when it comes to figuring out a breathing issue.

I had my first experience with breathing issues in a horse a year and a half ago (first time in 30+ years … I guess there is a first time for everything). The wildfire smoke last year was not helping things. Knock on wood, I feel like I have her pretty well managed right now and we have been able to return to barrel racing and she’s doing alright at the moment.

1 Like

The only thing that really changed is it was really smoky from nearby fires for a couple of days, she has improved since the air cleared but not back to how she was.

What is the skin test?

Interesting. So you’ve never had an issue before this recent smoke?

A skin test is done like with humans where they prick them with a grid of tiny injections of various known allergens and then wait to see what reacts. I had hers done at OSU and it was performed by a dermatologist DVM. Prior to that a vet recommended the blood test and it was shocking at the difference in results.

1 Like

Allergies yes, but no breathing issues, even after a good workout.

Hmmm. Personally, I’d call the vet and get an exam. Since breathing well is so connected to well-being and certainly being athletic it might be that there is something to help her recover faster. At least worth a call to see what they think.

1 Like

My recurrent airway obstruction fox hunt horse, with careful attention to things like medication dose, anticipating pollen level increases, and such hunted regularly for close to 20 years.

And I swear that he learned that if he coughed when I went out to catch him while wearing my hunting attire that I might take my other horse instead. I had two hunt horses and I hunted Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. His “I don’t want to hunt today” fake cough was very different from his RAO episode cough.

Just an example to let you know that there is hope.

2 Likes

Sometimes they can have a heaves-like attack due to an allergy or exposure to something extra irritating. Wildfire smoke could definitely be a contributor!

Scoping and BAL will give you the most information, but you might get over this episode with some Dex for a few days and maybe antibiotic (if showing signs of associated sinus infection or something). If it recurs, then you for sure should dig into the details more.

I was managing one chonky horse and we tried a slow feed hay net in the stall to make his night hay last longer. Not sure exactly what it was about the net, but he developed a heaves-like attack. Worked himself up into a full sweat and breathing heavy at rest one afternoon shortly after making the management change. I even steamed the hay! Some meds and feeding him on the floor again resolved it.

1 Like

Yes, she is already scheduled for a visit.

1 Like

Too funny, they really are smart! Thank you for the encouragement.

1 Like

I post the same thing to everyone. Have you had your horse allergy tested? If you don’t know what they are allergic to, you can’t make environmental or diet management decisions to improve their symptoms.

My horse was retired/unrideable two springs because I was feeding her hay with grasses she was allergic to and she was having symptoms even with steroids and antihistamines etc. flexineb made everything 10x worse. I switched her to timothy hay (one of the 2 grasses she was not allergic to) and her symptoms improved 99%. She stopped coughing and got off steroids completely. She is now rideable and mostly symptom free.

I will note that the allergy shots did not work for my horse, but using the results to make feed decisions did majorly. If you are feeding your horse something they are allergic to (even if you are steaming the hay etc) they will still have symptoms unless it is specifically the mold/dust they are allergic and not the grass species itself. Good luck!

1 Like

I’d soak her hay.
I think in many cases it’s a situation of the bucket is almost full wrt inciting allergens, and it just takes one more thing (possibly in this case the smoke) to push them over the top and it spills into symptomatic.
I have an older gelding who would get symptomatic and require medication in the late summer, at which point I’d begin a course of medication and soak his hay.
It would resolve.
since I decided a few years ago to soak his hay all year round, he’s not needed any medication or been obviously symptomatic.

2 Likes

How long do you soak? My horse can struggle with seasonal allergies. I think you might be onto something because when he is inside, I always net his Hay and that means he’s shoving his nostrils into all of the debris and shake. I’m guessing I could just put it in the Hay net stick it in a muck tub for like 15-20 minutes and then hang it, and he would eat it fast enough that it wouldn’t go putrid in our Florida heat.

About 10 minutes–it’s enough for the mold and dust spores to be soaked and unlikely to become airborne.
I use a tub and laundry basket to soak, then drain excess water and dump hay into another tub fastened to the stall front.
the soaking tub is on a dolly so I can put it in the heated feedroom in freezing weather.

2 Likes

We have one mare who has occasional seasonal allergies ( meaning she isn’t always bothered just depends on the year and what is growing well) and one Fall she started with a random cough, then an occasional cough under saddle ( very light work) and then suddenly she was struggling to breathe, plus you could hear a wheeze to her breathing.

Vet came right away, diagnosed heaves and prescribed dexamethasone orally . Once she finished that treatment she was right as rain and has been for several years now with no relapse and we don’t soak hay or anything. She is ridden regularly but at 22 it is fairly light.

Allergies can cause heaves like symptoms.

1 Like