Unlimited access >

Corniche no longe racing... what type of injury did he have to cause retirement?

Corniche was never able to race as a 3 yr. What type of injury did he have? I know he only raced 3 times. Remember when Foolish Pleasure was 2 and 7- 10 races were the norm?

The news just said a hind joint injury last time he ran. I am not sure it represents anything more than one horse and his team being unlucky.
FWIW his dam ran 22 times and was s multiple SW and is sire ran three years.

1 Like

Nice mare. Sound like bad luck and a bad step. I wish him a long and happy life.

2 Likes

He raced this year, for a total of 4 starts.

“The son of Quality Road out of grade 1-placed, grade 2 winner Wasted Tears suffered his only loss July 31 in the Amsterdam Stakes (G2) at Saratoga Race Course where he suffered a career-ending injury to a hind joint.”

Without knowing what kind of injury I suspect it would take too long for him to heal up and return to racing and he is already not as good (or sound?) as he was at 2 so having him come back at a lower level would hurt his stud fee. He’s already a champion so economics say he’s better off retired regardless of whether the injury is career ending or not.

1 Like