Unlimited access >

Corrective Eye Surgery?

Has anyone had laser vision correction (LASIK)? If you had it done - could you share around when you had it done and how it’s holding up for you since? Would you do it again, or recommend someone never get it done?

As I get older I get less impressed with how expensive glasses and contacts are (I hate riding in glasses, but I prefer them to contacts so I always have to pay for glasses for regular use and then contacts for riding) and I’ve been researching more and more about corrective eye surgery - I’m a decent candidate on paper, but I was wondering how riders found the results (barn environment, riding, variable lighting, et cetera)?

If you have experience you’re willing to share, I would very much appreciate it!

Have you been evaluated? I’m not a candidate, thin corneas and big pupils mean I’m not a good candidate, despite being -8.0 and -10 nearsighted.

1 Like

No formal evaluation or consultation on it, but I had discussed it casually with my former ophthalmologist (since retired, regrettably) who considered me a fair candidate (not ideal, my eyes aren’t necessarily dry but on the drier side of normal, so something to factor in).

I was hoping to hear how riders found they liked it to see if it was worth pursuing more rigorously.

I’m sorry that you aren’t a good candidate for it (if you had been evaluated, hoping to get it done)! Poor eyesight is a pain in the neck. :frowning:

It was the best $4000 I’ve ever spent and would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat. Got it six years ago and still have perfect vision. My dad got it done in his 40s and at 65, almost 66, his vision is still perfect as well.

4 Likes

I got my vision corrected 3 years ago and it was so worth it. I had to do PRK instead of LASIK because of the shape of one of my corneas, but even with the longer recovery time I’d definitely recommend it either way. I haven’t had any side effects or issues. My dad also got PRK done 20+ years ago and never had any problems, he just needs reading glasses now which is pretty standard.

It’s not cheap but it does pay for itself over time compared to buying glasses and contacts. It’s a huge quality of life improvement considering how much time I spend outdoors, not having to worry about getting dirt in a contact or packing enough extras when I travel or anything like that. Waking up in the morning and just being able to see perfectly right away is the best.

5 Likes

I had two new lenses installed (cataracts) instead of LASIK --went from unable to read even with glasses to 20/20 --awesome!

4 Likes

Oh I very much wanted it, but the combo of too thin corneas and too large pupils made it a bad idea. I suppose my point is to find out if it’s even an option for you before you get too excited about getting it done :wink:

3 Likes

I had pretty much exactly the same experience as this except that my PRK was done nearly 20 years ago. It was absolutely the best decision I ever made.

1 Like

My vision was terrible since I was seven years old. I had cataracts removed and new lenses installed in January 2020, and I see very well now. I seldom need reading glasses–the only time I do is if the print is very small and/or faint, or if the lighing is bad. Most of the time I’m reading my Kindle, and definitely don’t need reading glasses for that.

Rebecca

2 Likes

Thank you so much, everyone!! @dmveventer the cost of glasses and lenses keeps going up…and I pay for a vision plan through work which also keeps getting more expensive so realistically, getting it corrected (even if I still need readers, which I know is a possibility) will save me money in the long run. It really is the quality of life thing that you mention, though! Not having to deal with it while swimming, not worrying about it while riding, travel et cetera.

I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences! It sounds like there’s no reason not to go forward with checking this out. (And I am so very sorry @Djones! That stinks.)

4 Likes

The nice thing about only needing reading glasses is that they are dirt cheap! I bought a bunch right after my cataract surgery, and they are distributed around the house. I didn’t realize how little I would use them. I would have bought fewer.

Rebecca

3 Likes

you said “as I get older” how old.? If you are over 50 it is more likely you would want to get lens replacement rather than LASIK. Saw my eye doc 2 weeks ago and he said my cataracts have advanced. I use my eyes in competitive shooting so I am aware of my marginal vision. We are trying new glasses first before going on to surgery. Lens replacement can also be prescriptive correction. balance the cost and advantage , a good doctor should help you. This is not the time for cut rate services. Go to the best you can find.

2 Likes

I wore super thick glasses starting age 10. Tried contacts but didn’t like them…too much dirt/dust in the barn. Plus they were a hassle.
I had LASIX done in the fall of 1998, when it was still a relatively new procedure. Had to have a ‘touch up’ done the following spring.
Best decision I ever made.
I was amazed to be able to see the bed-side clock. And see where I was going when swimming. Not worry my glasses would get broken if I fell off my horse. I always carried a spare pair in my trailer.
I am now age 71 … 25 years after LASIX … and my vision is still excellent. I do have a very mild prescription for driving.

5 Likes

No experience personally but my cousin had it done and it was a bad deal. Messed up his vision worse then it was before. So, like with anything you take a risk and for me vision isn’t something I would risk when glasses and contacts are available.

1 Like

I had LASIK 5 years ago. I did not have a strong prescription before and I had only needed glasses for about 10 years prior. The procedure was pretty uncomfortable (it’s hard to watch scenes where someone’s eye lids are in a speculum), and I was VERY uncomfortable for about 18 hours afterwards, but then really smooth sailing. The ‘night haze’ of street lights got better after a few months.

I’ve been using moisturizing eye drops ever since. Being able to see in the rain again, grab any pair of sunglasses, walk in from the cold without foggy glasses has all been worth it, for me. I purchased a ‘lifetime plan’ where touch ups are free if needed, as long as bi-annual exams are done. This policy seemed to fall by the wayside with the pandemic, but both times I’ve called to inquire the rep said my plan is fine and the clinic will call when it’s time for me to return.

5 Likes

Count me as another satisfied patient. I was 60 or so when I had it done after about50 years of needing glasses full time.

I do need reading glasses but that’s no big deal.

If I had to choose between that and my breast reduction I don’t know which I would pick

2 Likes

I had my eyes done right before the New Year 2 years ago by LasikPlus. They were recommended by my sister who is 6-7 years post surgery who said it was a breeze for her!

It was a very unpleasant experience for me that I probably would not repeat in the future but I no longer need glasses at this time. I had significantly poor vision in both eyes and astigmatism in the left, even with glasses my left eye did not see 20/20. I had thought LASIK would magically fix all my vision issues- they definitely are sales folks where I went and didn’t say that halos could still be present and that it’s not a 100% cure. While it was improved my vision to no longer need glasses I still only see 20/30 in my left eye and it works better for close distance and not as well for distance and have significant halos when driving at night. But I can drive and read all the street signs better than ever! No more constantly cleaning dirty glasses and I can have a bunch of cute sunglasses! It’s way nicer riding and being around the barn.

The procedure itself was very uncomfortable, the doctor was brusque to the point of almost being rude. When I struggled to hold my eyes open appropriately and they watered a ton. The post 6-8 hours after surgery were absolutely agonizing. My eyelids both swelled up, it felt like I had fire and sand in my eyes, it was terrible lol. They suggested ibuprofen and napping afterwards. I wish I had taken something stronger honestly because ibuprofen did nothing to help. By the next day the pain was mostly gone, my eyes were very bloodshot and my vision was quiet blurry for a few days.

When I went for my follow up the doctor was like well you had major surgery- you had terrible vision what did you expect- hmm maybe some better info from you guys so I was more prepared!! $4,000 out of pocket is a lot of money with no guarantee how long it will last. For me personally I won’t be running back again when my vision gets worse again. It’ll be glasses again for me lol.

1 Like