Corriente Saddles?

A friend of mine showed me her Corriente saddle and she likes it because it’s so much lighter. This summer I broke both of my radius bones, so lifting the saddle onto my filly has been tricky. I looked up the Corrientes and they don’t appear to be that much lighter than your standard western saddle. Has anyone experienced this brand and what are your thoughts.?

1 Like

I’ve never ridden in a Corriente myself. In fact, I don’t know anyone who has one, so I don’t know much about their quality. The average western saddle weighs about 35-37 pounds and you’re right: Corrientes weigh, depending on the model, 34-37 pounds. So I wouldn’t make a decision based just on its weight alone. Could you borrow your friend’s and ride in it?

That’s terrible about breaking both of your arms. I can definitely understand why hefting a western saddle up onto a horse could be a strain. Due to my back and shoulder, I have days where I have to get a kid to do it for me.

1 Like

Corriente is an entry-level saddle. Certainly not the best out there, but they also are not junk.

They make different types of saddles. If your friend’s was light, my guess would be that it was a barrel saddle. They do also make roping saddles … which would not be light.

If you need something light weight, you can either look at barrel racing saddles (as they usually tend to be around 25 pounds or less) or you can look at saddles that are partially synthetic for materials such as Abetta.

Can you get a large step stool or mounting block, so that you don’t have to lift the saddle as high to get it on your horse? Might have to think outside the box a bit. I’m sorry for your injury.

might want to at least look at a Wintec Western All Rounder as these weigh just under 19 pounds

We used Wintecs for competitive trail on our western show horses whose show saddles weighed about 55 pounds

1 Like

Forgot about this tip! It does work. Use one of those heavy plastic mounting blocks. That’s what I often use when my back is bothering me.

1 Like

Yup, I agree with all of this.

Corrientes are decent entry level saddles - I think they are popular as trophy saddles.

I have a Corriente ranch/roping saddle and it’s definitely not lighter than other ranch/roping saddles. As noted your friend’s was probably a barrel saddle.

A barrel saddle or a synthetic/semi-synthetic saddle is probably your best bet. In addition to Abetta/Wintec check out Big Horn saddles - they have some synthetic/semi-synthetic options that help with weight.

1 Like

Our kiddo had a Corriente ranch/wade-type saddle when he was too big for a kids saddle but not big enough for an adult saddle. It was exceptional for the price - looked great, sturdy. The conchos were kinda cheapy and we replaced those with leather conchos bc we liked them better. We gave it to neighbors for their grandkids when our son graduated to a grown up saddle and it’s still going strong, three kids further along.

2 Likes

I agree, the barrel saddles seem to be much lighter. I regularly ride in a Tucker saddle and they are about 28 pounds so Im not sure the barrel saddles will be much lighter. On a good note, I was able to lift my saddle onto my filly tonight with no pain. and my wrists didnt give out. It sure makes saddling much easier.

Thank you for the info. It’s been 3 months and I was finally able to hoist my Tucker saddle on her without pain or my wrists giving out.

I have a mounting step but since my filly is reactive a bit, I was afraid to do anything that might spook her, like my wrists giving out and the saddle falling on the mounting step. It doesn’t take much for her to be “worried” and I sure don’t need anymore injuries his year. :slight_smile:

Yay!

If you don’t already use techniques like these, they can also be a big help in getting a big saddle up on a horse easily (for both you and the horse). :grinning:

Swinging a saddle on

Putting on a Western saddle with ease

No, no you do not! Always do what’s best for you!

I had a brand new ranch cutter Corriente and it was definitely not lighter (plus I didn’t like how the saddle was put together - when I found a screw poking out of the saddle fleece one day…)

Circle Y makes a lighter tree and ProLite makes a light barrel saddle.

Corriente saddles are hit or miss. Mostly miss. Probably because they are or were made in Mexico and quantity is more important than quality.

I think they are cheap and crappy, but what do I know.

My favorite Western saddle is a 70’s Tex Tan. It’s pretty and well made. Super comfortable, fits myself and most horses well.

I would go old school before going new. * Many are not heavy if not classified as a rope saddle.

*Depending always on horse shape and rider shape and preferences.

Every saddle is different, which means we all get to be a saddle Cinderella. Good luck!

The older Corrientes are decent. The new ones are not that great, since Wade Baize went off and started his own saddle company. His new one is Sheridan or something like that.

I had an older Corrientes wade and it was decent. You can tell it’s a production saddle, but it felt heavier made than other “affordable” saddles. I sold it because it was too big for me and bought a brand new Corriente a few years later. I sold it quickly since the quality was way less and I’m a leather snob.

A good western saddle won’t be light weight, unfortunately.