Unlimited access >

Cost for Week Lease WEF/WEC

Hi everyone!

I live very far from wef and can’t justify taking my horse for just a week or two so was looking into week leases, and was wondering what a ballpark budget would be for a horse for the low adult 18-35 division. (1.00ish), and if anyone has any recommendations on a barn to lease from.

Would also love to hear everyone’s opinions on whether to spend the week or two at WEF or WEC!

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Hard to say because there are tons of factors that would play into cost, but I’d ballpark a 1.0 horse without extensive quirks or challenges at around $1000-1500 a week for a lease (for just the lease only, training fees and daycare foe the horse obviously will add more to your bill). More for a winner from a reputable program, less from someone your trainer knows and can get a good deal from.

WEC is probably going to be somewhat less expensive and host more barns that would be willing to do a short term lease to an unknown rider as well as the overall environment more…inclusive I suppose is the best term here, more welcoming to average riders.

But you better get on it now either one you chose. Ask your trainer to recommend trainers to contact about joining their barn as a temporary client while leasing their horse if your trainer will not be going down with you.

Be careful of additional, undisclosed until you get the bill costs when short term leasing at the major circuit shows. Particularly training, day care, prep and coaching charges that are required but not included in the lease fee. And READ the contract before signing.

Probably closer to $2000 plus stall, office fees, entries.
Stalls and office fees are costing close to $400 for the week during the summer at WEC alone, so between lease fee and cost of stall, plus any split for tack stall, etc., expect $2500 before you consider entries, food, housing for you, training/lessons, etc.

I’d budget $5000 for the week for WEC and probably closer to $6000-7000 for WEF.
You can still get hotels for $100/night or so in Ocala, not sure about WEF. Short term rental houses around WEC are tougher bc some of the HOAs require 3 months of a lease, so for a week or 2, you’re probably either renting a room out of someone’s winter rental, or a hotel.

Agree, figure 10k a week, minimum. Hotels and rent cars in Florida are crazy hard to get and $$$$ even now in sweat and hurricane season. Imagine they wont be going down for nice weather and snowbird season. Earlier you get on it, the better.

As an example, nice but nothing special hotel not near ocean or any attractions and rent car for 6 days at the end of this month will cost me close to 1500. And I was lucky to book both. Imagine what theyll cost when its not raining every day.

Keep checking rental sites (and use incognito windows or clear history so they don’t track your return to sites). I went on early last week to book my rental for this week from Orlando and for 3-4 days, it was going to be $600+. I went on yesterday and it had dropped to $300 for the 3-4 days. Now, granted, that may be because I’m flying directly into a tropical depression/hurricane, but it might also be that they overestimated their inventory and dropped prices a few days prior.

Rental cars everywhere are absurdly expensive right now. A lot of the dealers sold off their stock to stay afloat during COVID, but now that people are vaccinated and ready to vacation, and the microchip shortage is keeping new cars from coming off the manufacturing line, the rental agencies just can’t keep up.

1 Like

Same. We found one in Florida for $900 and then two days later it was $400 (same car, time frame, etc). The prices fluctuate constantly.

Yes. I’m actually heading there today… thinking to see if I can upgrade to an ark considering the weather forecast!

I have seen posts in the past about the WEF lease program at this farm but I don’t know anything about it personally http://www.driftwoodstable.com/leasing-program

If I were going to throw a large lump sum at a short term lease to show at a winter circuit as a bucket list kind of thing, I’d go all in and go to WEF. And one of the main reasons is you get to see the absolutely top caliber grand prix horses and riders, particularly if you plan to be there in a 4* or 5* week (which you should if you go!). It’s just on a different level from what you see a lot of places.

That said, I showed at WEC this winter and found it very laid back and enjoyable. It would certainly be less expensive overall than going to Wellington, but a more low key experience I would say.

2 Likes

That Driftwood link leads to 2017 information and pricing.

Their FB page has more current posts about their lease program, but the website provides an easier-to-link-to example with a description of their program and contact information. Pretty sure the OP would also expect to have to ask for next year’s pricing, plus as stated pricing would be dependent on the particular horse and level.

What are your goals? To have the greatest chance of placing in your classes, maybe even getting a ribbon in the classic, etc. or could you care less about results, and just want to have an experience among certain people or in a particular type of venue, ring? Is it easier for you to travel to Ocala vs. Wellington? Do you have an aim to work with particular barns and trainers that will give good attention to a person doing a week-long lease when they have a barn full of regular customers? Not sure how I’d answer any of these questions!