Unlimited access >

Costumes for Paint Horses

Need a Halloween costume idea for a paint horse and rider, ideas?:confused:

Is it for the cute horse in your photo? If it were me, Iā€™d find an adult ā€œone-sieā€ in a color close to the bay color and glue white splotches on with a hot-glue gun. That way you can both be paints. :lol:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s really cute! Good idea!

A friend one year dressed as a painter, carrying buckets of brown (chestnut) and white paint and a paintbrush, wearing painterā€™s cap and overalls with paint smears on them. Then just led the horse who didnā€™t have to wear anything at all

7 Likes

Hidalgo?

The above are really good ideas and sound easy and fun to do. Then thereā€™s the usual Indian princess/warrior thing. Iā€™m 51 and can remember when if you wanted a costume it either cost a ridiculous amount of money or you had to make it yourself. These days with pop-up costume stores around Halloween, Party City and Amazon, itā€™s pretty easy to pick something up. My daughter who is Chinese adopted with long black hair, went as Pocahontas with her leopard Appaloosa mare last year. I bought the Pony Paints to dress up her mare with and was disappointed in how difficult it was to get it to go on and show up, and they werenā€™t cheap. After the fact, a friend who owns a therapeutic riding center and runs a summer camp, said that the Crayola waterbased washable paints did much better. Just for future reference. We got my daughterā€™s costume at Party City for less than $50 bucks and it was perfect for a costume class. They do make adult versions: http://www.partycity.com/category/halloween+costumes/womens+costumes+accessories/western+costumes.do

I once dressed my paint up like a cow and then was a cowgirl (we ride english so I was technically dressed up). I bought two styrofoam cones from the craft store and painted them beige for horns. I also got a lampshade, covered it in gold paper, and tied it around his neck with a rope for a cowbell. And donā€™t forget to braid the top of the tail!

Itā€™s so obvious I hate to mention it among all the great ideas on this thread - but there is always Scout and Tonto. (think Lone Ranger - Tonto-s horse was a paint called Scout).

And just throwing this out there. My daughter and I are going to a Halloween Hunter Pace that the local foxhunting club is putting on where costumes are welcome. The horse iā€™m riding is the palomino pinto in my avatar and Iā€™m going as a witch. Since heā€™s orange/gold and white, I found a witchā€™s costume in orange and black, along with some vertically striped tights in orange and black and plan to wear my riding boots with. My horse is getting a miniature black and orange top hat just for grins. My daughter is going as little red riding hood. Got her costume via party city and am also adding some horizontally striped black and red tights. Her horse is getting a miniature red and black unicorn horn to wear as well. Since weā€™re riding in the hunter pace and I didnā€™t want to put anything on the horses that would sweat/run off like paint or hoodies that they would get over heated in.

Long story short, as your paint looks like a bay paint, you might can find a fun black, brown and white costume or the like that might compliment your horseā€™s coat, or at least tie in with it. Party City has some womenā€™s Pirate Costumes that might suit and would go well with high boots. http://www.partycity.com/category/halloween+costumes/womens+costumes+accessories/body+shaper+costumes.do