Unlimited access >

COTH Fox Hunting Story Made Me Cry

Your reaction? Is it just me? https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/what-we-wanted-christmas

Not just you!

I love that story every time I read it. :yes:

Aww.

Goodness. Not just you. I could see my grandfather asking for that. As it is I see him in the sky every time I go underway. My gramps is who introduced me to horses. Be it with my mare or underway I always know he’s with me. It would have been amazing to hunt with him. He suicided when I was ten.

1 Like

Oh, I’m sorry to hear it. That must have been very difficult for your 10yr old self.

It’s wonderful that you feel he’s with you when you are with your horses though. :sadsmile:

Funny, I think it has had more of an impact on me as an adult. Mostly wishing he could see my achievements, failings, and life in general. I miss him dearly even though he did constantly steal my blanket when I was a toddler. That would make me so mad! :lol:

1 Like

Nope, made me cry too. I taught my 73 yr old dad to ride on my old grey mare. Together we trail broke my new gelding. He died at 75, 15 yrs ago. I miss him daily.

Lovely story :yes:

My Dad & his sister rode livery horses on Chicago’s bridle paths back in the mid 1930s.
My first hunt coat was her black wool hand-me-down.

Dad indulged my 20-something self with a 2h hired trailride in SoCal.
He rode along, must have been 40+yrs since he’d sat on a horse.
He never complained, though he must have been godawful sore the next day :sadsmile:

Later he drove me & DH to Buellton (from Encino) to visit Monty Roberts’ Flag is Up farm before Monty was a NH Rockstar.
No security, visitors could wander the barns at will.
I saw Dad stroke the nose of a horse in a stall & my heart swelled a bit :love-struck:

Gosh yes I cried, what a wonderful Christmas Day!