Unlimited access >

Cough and snotty nose

My friend’s horse, Aci is at my house. My 2 yr old desperately wanted a buddy horse to play with and this was his weaning buddy, so I borrowed Aci back about 3 weeks ago. The last 2 days Aci has caught a cold- no fever, but coughing and having a runny nose and looking a bit lethargic . My 2 yr old is fine so far. I have thought about separating them, but they have been in the same paddock for 3 weeks and have been playing bitey face and sharing a grain bucket, etc. They are best buddies and Aci will probably fret if seperated.

Should I be more concerned about this cold? I did take my mare to the vet so she could have brought something home, but she seems fine so far. She is separated but likely already exposed if it’s contagious.

3 weeks sounds a bit long for an incubation period if he had something before I brought him here. I have not yet contacted the vet, as I’m not sure there’s much to be done for a virus, assuming that is what it is.

Temp? Vitals? Clear snot, white snot or greenish?

Not enough info.

5 Likes

I will second the questions that @luvmyhackney has asked.
Is the runny nose the same on both sides?

Any chance of Choke?

He obviously doesn’t feel good. I am not antibiotic happy but I think a call to your vet for advice if he needs something would be a good idea ( if not done already).

Where he got it is anyones guess. My daughters horse was new to us 2-3 weeks before both my horses came down with strangles. Sometimes It can take a bit of time for the carriers to do their job :frowning:

3 Likes

Temp is normal. Snot is whitish clear. The first day it was thicker, as he had dirt/hay all stuck on his nose. Same on both sides. If he looks worse I’ll definitely notify the vet. No one else has symptoms. I am wondering if it’s allergy related rather than infectious? Usually I just see a cough with allergy issues, not the nasal discharge.

Definitely not choke. He is eating normally.

Sounds like allergies to me, other than the lethargy, but let your friend know what is going on if you haven’t already.

2 Likes