Unlimited access >

Could a 15-year old Western-trained horse be taught to jump?

Uh no.
First off there is no ‘western’ horse. There are horses that ride in disciplines that use a western saddle.
They most definitely are not bred to be downhill or carry their weight up front (whatever that’s supposed to mean, since last time I checked every horse carries the majority of their weight up front).

I am always amazed by the fact that English riders just assume riding western is like sitting on a plowing horse going downhill.

Western disciplines are as diverse as English ones. And good luck riding your ‘downhill’ reining horse. Or your ‘downhill’ gaming horse. Or, while it does require an English saddle, I’ve not seen too many racing paints that look like a bulldog.

I’ve trained horses that were started in western saddles to jump. It’s not a big deal. Jumping isn’t a talent that only English horses have. My current mare was a barrel racer in her past life. My APHA paint was started in a western saddle to be a reiner. I’ve had clients who brought me WP horses.

Goodness people. Would you expect a dressage horse couldn’t jump? That a Hunter couldn’t do dressage?

7 Likes

Say it louder for the people in the back :raised_hands:

6 Likes

Think most who have replied aren’t basing their opinion on breed stereotypes and know far more then it sounds like you assume. Many have pointed out they’d need to see at least a picture and preferably video of the horse before passing judgement based on breed/type. We don’t even know if it is actually AQHA registered or just a grade horse wearing a western saddle. There is also no info about where this horse has been or what its been doing the last 15 years.

There are other issues…like suitability to start a new, more physically demanding career under a novice rider at an age most horses are stepping down to less demanding jobs after over a decade of service to us. Trainers advice to start a project like this is not unbiased and may benefit trainers business more then young riders best interest.

These doubts would be the same for any horse represented as a coming 16 old be it anything from AQHA to Zangershied ((sp?). Breed is the least important criteria.

6 Likes

Exactly. I have a 15 year old seasoned Jr/Am hunter. He’ll step down to the 3ft this year and a year after that, will be doing 2’6’’. Auto changes, knows his job absolutely. Jumps into the line and automatically boogies if it was a chip. I would bet that most of the 2’6’’ hunters in my area have followed this path and are of this type. I honestly think that trying to train a 15 year old horse of any breed to jump is unsafe for both the horse and an inexperienced rider. I would never put my child on a project such as this. I wouldn’t ride it either.

3 Likes

Yes to a quarter horse. Yes if it’s western trained. Make sure it has good confomation and take x-rays of the front feet before buying. I’ve met some quarter horse honeys that were fantastic 2’6 horses.

But at 15 years? Maybe look for a younger one because I’m betting that one isn’t going to pass a vetting to do the job you’re looking for and you’re probably wasting money to ppe that. But they are out there so of you are on a budget definitly Yes to a qh.

And someone mentioned to take a look at an ex-polo horse or a polo horse that just isn’t working out…they are usually pretty nice.

1 Like

OP, I know you haven’t been back to comment and your original questions are a month old, but YES it is possible, considering the horse already has been introduced to it.

Here’s my Western horse. He is 15 this year. A couple weeks ago, we went and took a jumping lessons. He was somewhat out of shape already (I don’t ride hard in the winter in North Dakota) and this technically was only his second time officially going through a real “jumping course” ever, in this video. He loves to do it. We’ve honestly practiced it very little but I hope to more this coming year.

Two years ago, I literally threw my English saddle on him on an impromtu whim and we WON Grand Champion in our Division (I can’t remember if they were 2’3" jumps or 2’6" jumps) with two jumping classes and two flat classes. Here is a photo of him in one of the classes. This was his very first time going through a real jumping course at a real jumping show.

Our primary event is barrel racing. That is what we do most of the time. Maybe that’s why he also likes jumping.

I took him to a AQHA show the first time this summer. Placed well in the Ranch Horse Classes. Also did the Hunt Seat Equitation there (might as well) and he WON a class (seen here) under one judge, and took SECOND under both judges in the other, against some serious accomplished WP horses. I was extremely proud of that! I think that was seriously the 3rd time I had put my English saddle on him the whole year.

But he has been-there-done-that and he is very well trained. When they are broke like that and have a good background, they can seriously do anything.

So it just depends on the horse. If he has a good mind, is willing to please, and seems to like the cross rails, he might do just fine for what you need for your daughter. I myself have been blessed with horses that want to please and are good citizens when my inexperienced jumping self puts them over fences. They just do it and try their best. But then again, I just also try to make my horses soft, well broke, and make things easy to understand for them. (and yes, in a western saddle)

7 Likes

Western horses are bred and trained to carry their weight in the front part of their bodies. Blockquote

My Reining bred horse begs to differ. :rofl:

3 Likes

This horse is terribly on its forehand, isn’t it? :rofl:

4 Likes