Unlimited access >

Could I get a Catch Ride?

With the new show season approaching quickly, I was reflecting on last year and how I had ridden some really great horses that my trainer hooked me up with at shows. I am going to start consistently showing on the A circuit this coming show season and would like to do more catch riding. My question is, how do I get them on my own? Also would you hire me for a catch ride? I am 13 years old and 5’1" and I have been riding for 8 1/2 years. I am home schooled so I go to the barn everyday and ride at least 4 horses. I own a 15.3 thoroughbred mare that I trained from scratch all by myself and we will be competing at 3’ - 3’3" jumpers. I also train all the greenies at my barn and get on as many horses as possible. I will also be showing my trainers horse in 3’6" hunters although I have done 4’3" verticals and 4’ courses on him. He is a 17.1 Dutch Warmblood if that even matters. Any input is appreciated!

Oh and I won my states medal finals on the Warmblood!

Why ask a bunch of strangers who know nothing about you or your riding?

Why not ask your trainer how to do this for yourself?

Can you do it for yourself, as a minor, BTW?

You’re thirteen and you train all the greenies at your barn? By yourself?

Well by myself means that no other people are riding them but of course my trainer checks on us and I have to be in a lesson to jump

It already sounds like you catch ride quite a bit. Your trainer offered to let you show her horse, she found horses for you to show last year, she gives you four a day at home. I’m not sure what else you’re looking for?

That being said, you don’t “get them on your own”. Your trainer will offer and/or find them. She is your #1 connection, and at your age, your only really useful connection. You don’t really go looking for a catch ride, you just keep doing what you’re doing, working hard and saying thank you.

[QUOTE=sassymares;8467363]
With the new show season approaching quickly, I was reflecting on last year and how I had ridden some really great horses that my trainer hooked me up with at shows. I am going to start consistently showing on the A circuit this coming show season and would like to do more catch riding. My question is, how do I get them on my own? Also would you hire me for a catch ride? I am 13 years old and 5’1" and I have been riding for 8 1/2 years. I am home schooled so I go to the barn everyday and ride at least 4 horses. I own a 15.3 thoroughbred mare that I trained from scratch all by myself and we will be competing at 3’ - 3’3" jumpers. I also train all the greenies at my barn and get on as many horses as possible. I will also be showing my trainers horse in 3’6" hunters although I have done 4’3" verticals and 4’ courses on him. He is a 17.1 Dutch Warmblood if that even matters. Any input is appreciated![/QUOTE]

You get catch rides by:

1. Winning on the horses you show
  2. Producing rides that leave the horses better than they were when you got on
  3. Making the horses look easy and pleasant
  4. Being known for being easy, pleasant, helpful and appreciative yourself
  5. Did I mention winning?

[QUOTE=OnDeck;8467422]
It already sounds like you catch ride quite a bit. Your trainer offered to let you show her horse, she found horses for you to show last year, she gives you four a day at home. I’m not sure what else you’re looking for?

That being said, you don’t “get them on your own”. Your trainer will offer and/or find them. She is your #1 connection, and at your age, your only really useful connection. You don’t really go looking for a catch ride, you just keep doing what you’re doing, working hard and saying thank you.[/QUOTE]

^^This.

If you are doing well in the show ring, then other trainers could get in contact with your trainer.

OP, you sound like you ride well enough. And you might be small enough for some ponies.

How come you can’t have your trainer… uh… shall we say… pimp you out as is customary for kid catch riders?

If that doesn’t work, the next best thing is to ask one of the adult owners for whom you have ridden if she could recommend you to her pro. What you need is an adult to “take up” for you and make some introductions.

Please ignore the people who are trying to put you in your place a bit in this thread. None of them knows whether you are being truthful or exaggerating your abilities. It’s a 50/50 chance that either is true, so I’ll assume the best and answer your question. Also, I don’t see anything wrong in asking your question, even if you have 4 “in house” horses to ride every day. As I read it, you mentioned all that and your home schooling status just to explain that you have both time and experience.

Keep looking through your mental address book for adults who might be able to help you widen your network. That’s the best, pertinent advice I can give. And really, people do want to help out a talented, hardworking kid if they see a way to do that. You just might need to remind people (who didn’t know they could be pimps) that taking on that role would be a great help to you, lol.

What OnDeck said.

Seriously, if you own one horse but are riding at least four a day, that IS catch riding.

[QUOTE=mvp;8467543]
OP, you sound like you ride well enough. And you might be small enough for some ponies.

How come you can’t have your trainer… uh… shall we say… pimp you out as is customary for kid catch riders?

If that doesn’t work, the next best thing is to ask one of the adult owners for whom you have ridden if she could recommend you to her pro. What you need is an adult to “take up” for you and make some introductions.

Please ignore the people who are trying to put you in your place a bit in this thread. None of them knows whether you are being truthful or exaggerating your abilities. It’s a 50/50 chance that either is true, so I’ll assume the best and answer your question. Also, I don’t see anything wrong in asking your question, even if you have 4 “in house” horses to ride every day. As I read it, you mentioned all that and your home schooling status just to explain that you have both time and experience.

Keep looking through your mental address book for adults who might be able to help you widen your network. That’s the best, pertinent advice I can give. And really, people do want to help out a talented, hardworking kid if they see a way to do that. You just might need to remind people (who didn’t know they could be pimps) that taking on that role would be a great help to you, lol.[/QUOTE]

This. Particularly in the pony ring.

And despite what some people will say about not getting rides by posting online, I got to ride a Very Nice Pony at an AA show by posting on COTH when I was the OP’s age, so it can happen.

Good luck, OP.