Unlimited access >

County Bull Leather Care

I have the County Sensation in Bull leather- which is AWESOME aside from the fact that I am scared to do too much to it, which is hard for me, as an OCD tack cleaner.

The rep told me to use effax cream soap only and to never oil it. I have been doing this, but I am wondering if it is enough? The leather is very soft, so I am afraid to “experiment” for fear of ruining it.

Another problem I had was when it started to rain towards the end of our ride and the rain drops left “stains” that will not go away.

Anyone have any experience/ advice for these issues?

I think if you do a search there will be advice on cleaning the County bull leather, I know it has been mentioned before but I never paid much attention. I am surprised your saddle got stains from riding in the rain though, whenever that happened with my CWD, the stains disappeared after they dried, or after it was cleaned (I usually clean my tack shortly after riding). The cream soap is the only Effax product I don’t like, it doesn’t seem to accomplish much IMO. I don’t see how Effax Leder Combi would hurt it, as it does not contain oil. Its my favorite product for cleaning tack. If County told you not to oil it I would definitely heed their advice, some leather just does not respond well to oil.

I was told that the Oakwood leather products help remove/prevent water stains, and that has certainly been the case on my saddle that I frequently dribble on. Not the tidiest drinker in the summer heat. :wink:

One of the ladies at my barn is also a County rep, and if I remember correctly she recommended the Belvoir prodcuts.

Effax Leder-Combi has stripped dye from a County girth I used it on in the past, so I wouldn’t use that. Effax products do contain whale oil, FYI; at least, the cream soap does. I use standard Leather New on my County, which has calf knee pads and seat, and the XRT leather flaps.

[QUOTE=Spartacus;7700026]
Effax Leder-Combi has stripped dye from a County girth I used it on in the past, so I wouldn’t use that. Effax products do contain whale oil, FYI; at least, the cream soap does. I use standard Leather New on my County, which has calf knee pads and seat, and the XRT leather flaps.[/QUOTE]

i have used Leder Combi for years and I clean almost everyone’s tack at my barn at one time or another with no problems at all. Maybe it was the leather used for the girth? I am not a fan of County leather.

Effax oil (I think it is called Leder Soft?) does have whale oil, I do not care for the cream soap so never use it. Whale oil is an excellent product if you don’t care about where it comes from.

I also use Effax Leder Combi and haven’t had an issue with discoloration. I don’t use it often on my County, and not in excess, just a quick wipe down. My County rep recommended Passier Leder Balm for my bull leather saddle, and I do use that for conditioning. Prefer it to the Effax Leder Balm as I think the Effax stuff makes thinks sticky. I’ll also do the occasional clean with good old glycerine soap (I know that horrifies some), not too wet. And I have used oil, sparingly, just to darken it a bit. My saddle is 7 years old, I think, and I always get compliments on its condition from saddle fitters, whether County employed or otherwise. So I think I’m doing ok, judging by its appearance and feel!

[QUOTE=horsepoor;7700564]
I also use Effax Leder Combi and haven’t had an issue with discoloration. I don’t use it often on my County, and not in excess, just a quick wipe down. My County rep recommended Passier Leder Balm for my bull leather saddle, and I do use that for conditioning. Prefer it to the Effax Leder Balm as I think the Effax stuff makes thinks sticky. I’ll also do the occasional clean with good old glycerine soap (I know that horrifies some), not too wet. And I have used oil, sparingly, just to darken it a bit. My saddle is 7 years old, I think, and I always get compliments on its condition from saddle fitters, whether County employed or otherwise. So I think I’m doing ok, judging by its appearance and feel![/QUOTE]

CWD Cream Conditioner is excellent for darkening, in addition to conditioning, if you don’t want to use oil.

1 Like

Thanks for all of the helpful replies!

How do you use glycerine soap without getting it too wet?

[QUOTE=LovieBird;7701510]
How do you use glycerine soap without getting it too wet?[/QUOTE]
Just a damp sponge, excess water squeezed out. If I’m rubbing the sponge on the soap and it leaves a puddle on top, that’s too wet.
Sometimes all I do is give my saddle a wipe off with a damp cloth, no soap even, just to get the arena dust off. That’s really the big enemy, sand and stuff that gets on there and not removed, then ground in by riding.

Glycerine is also used as a conditioner, in fact Belvoir recommends not using it to clean (their liquid cleanser is wonderful) but only to condition. If you use just a barely damp sponge after cleaning to “polish” the leather it leaves a beautiful finish. Unfortunately, it also attracts dust and grime, I have stopped using it except on rare occasions.