Unlimited access >

Courageous Comet

Almost 33 years ago my husband and I returned from overseas to attend the US Army Command and General Staff College at Ft. Leavenworth Kansas. We ended up taking riding lessons with a 19 year old young lady who talked nonstop about eventing, competing at top levels and going to the Olympics. I thought she was nuts, kind, but nuts, and vowed I’d never let my son or husband participate in such a crazy sport.

In the past thirty years my son competed through 3* level, my husband is an avowed adult ammy novice training level rider, and I’m an FEI official in eventing.

And the 19 year old? Represented the US in Hong Kong in 2008 on an OTTB. I got word today that Comet crossed the rainbow bridge.

What a wonderful life Becky gave him. If you never got to see them compete you missed something. My condolences to Becky and Tom, and Godspeed Comet :heart:.

68 Likes

He was such an amazing horse, I followed his career endlessly, and I wasn’t ever an eventer. He truly transcended disciplines. Godspeed Comet…

6 Likes

I followed him and I’m not an eventer! I loved seeing Becky kill it with this horse! Calling @Badger who is Becky’s SIL. She might have a fun story to share…

5 Likes

Comet was the reason I jumped face first into eventing. He was the best cross country horse of his generation, and why I got involved with OTTBs. He lived a long life–may all our horses be so loved.

8 Likes

What a great horse. I loved his enthusiasm, and I enjoyed seeing him go at WEG 2010. Here’s one of the best jumping photos I’ve ever taken. The timing was a pure fortunate accident; I had plenty that day from a second early or a second late.

Courageous Comet and Becky Holder Head of Lake WEG 2010

23 Likes

I have a picture of Comet from a horse inspection.He looked like he was carved in ivory. Gorgeous.

3 Likes

I adored him in my early eventing days. Got this photo of him at my first Rolex in 2006. :blue_heart:

28 Likes

Comet and stablemate Highland Hogan used to reach out from their adjoining stalls and take turns holding each others’ tongues. Such a character! A tremendous athlete who forged a fantastic partnership with Becky.

14 Likes

Is Becky still competing?

Absolutely amazing horse! I was lucky enough to ride with Becky with I was at UGA and see Comet living his best retired life. Jingles now from Kansas City.

5 Likes

Yes. She has some very nice horses coming through the pipeline I believe.

1 Like

I remember watching a Rolex broadcast with Jimmy Wofford commentating. When Comet started out on course he had this great gallop with a closeup on his beautiful face and Jimmy made the statement, look at that, that is Christmas morning. Loved that. Comet was my favorite. RIP.

14 Likes

I rode for the family who bought him at the track before Becky owned him. They’ve always had a great eye for TBs. What a special horse who will be very missed.

3 Likes

I’d love to see it!

I’ll see if I still have it. I’m not a saver plus this was before camera phones!

OK. Don’t go to too much trouble. :slightly_smiling_face:

I found the photo and took a picture. Don’t know why his legs are cut off! I can send the full pic via text or email if you want. PM the info.

Imgur

8 Likes

Thanks for taking the trouble.

He does look like a carved statue. Lovely!

1 Like

If you open the picture it’s all there.

3 Likes