Court date for Michael Barisone?

Thank you for the update.

2 Likes

What was the two year cut off date again in order to meet the requirement for a “speedy” trial?

1 Like

IDK. Could have been set aside due to COVID and closed courts. It’s going to be a mess if social distancing is still required at the time of the trial.

2 Likes

Is there a way to listen in/zoom the trial? I know the federal courts had a call in to listen….and the judges had a GoToMeeting room for video to look at the exhibits.

1 Like

IDK what they will do with the actual trial, particularly if Covid restrictions are still in place.

1 Like

Do you know if the Miranda rights discussed were about mental competency to waive miranda rights or if MB was properly mirandized before any statements were made to officers? Thanks!

2 Likes

The officer swore he read MB his rights and when asked if he understood he said he did. From there it went on to MB’s behavior and what he may have said while with or within earshot of the police.

The judge was careful to keep all questions and testimony focused on behavior and comments in the presence of the police.

1 Like

Was MB in court? Were you? :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Yes, MB was there with his attorney.

No, I watched it online and only the judge, attorneys, and each witness was shown, other than a woman in the jurors box taking photos.

4 Likes

Where did you go to watch it online?

1 Like

https://www.njcourts.gov/public/channels.html

8 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

So is it available to watch online now after the fact?

1 Like

No, live court sessions only.

1 Like

Interesting thanks

3 Likes

https://nancyjaffer.com/?fbclid=IwAR2LPS3pRBSLK2Hx4ReZ8EdVDEa7F0vpBAwc9I6RieuXAFyaIuAJV5bifPU

4 Likes

Very well written article. Interesting that Jaffer says LK was "injured by two bullet wounds in the scuffle " without saying MB shot her. There is also quite some some description of how wounded MB was, and that he was bleeding profusely, and that he was found with the gun magazine on his person, but no mention of the gun, in yhe article, at least.

Another unsurprising mention is that “48 Hours” was there.

7 Likes

Shirtless is interesting……and a bit odd.

5 Likes

If I understand correctly, the hearing was about whether the police officer’s testimony would be heard by the jury. One statement, in which Barisone says “Is this really happening? I need to wake up” in the ambulance sure sounds supportive of an insanity defense. Is the defense trying to get the testimony admitted or excluded?

3 Likes

I also found it interesting that MB’s attorney asked one of the officers if it appeared MB had been beaten. The question was not allowed to be answered, but could be in the future court case.

This article is very well written and extremely concise!

5 Likes