Unlimited access >

Court date for Michael Barisone?

3 Likes

Anything new since February?

1 Like

I couldnā€™t find anything more recent.

I am wondering how backlogged the courts are due to COVID.

Then again, based on recent activity here, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if things are being scheduled or close to being scheduled.

4 Likes

These all seem kind of speculative, an offer ā€œwill be madeā€ in February. Iā€™ve seen nothing of substance confirming an offer WAS made (or when). Certainly itā€™s possible. Itā€™s just hard to say what has happened here. Detailed reporting on this case has been scant, probably because aside from the equestrian angle itā€™s not a terribly high profile case.

Things everywhere are very backlogged due to COVID :frowning: but if thereā€™s a plea deal made then I would expect things to move more quickly than if there is a trial. Many fewer moving parts for a plea.

2 Likes

But doesnā€™t a plea deal have to be accepted by the defendant? I thought defendants donā€™t have to accept it in lieu of a trial.

2 Likes

He doesnā€™t have to accept it. He can. Thatā€™s why I said ā€œifā€ thereā€™s a deal made. There may be no deal struck. If he does agree to plea, things should go more quickly.

3 Likes

Yes

The request to stay the civil proceeding until after the criminal aspect is resolved will be decided on July 23, 2021.

No one deserves to be shot, harassed, or threatened.

4 Likes

I saw this mentioned in the other thread by @tryintogethere:

"Morris County Correctional Facility does not have programs like that. In fact they donā€™t even have a usable outside yard. None of the inmates have been outside since brought to that facility. Some of the inmates have been there almost 5 years. The longest time an inmate was there was 12 years! Imagine not going outside for 12 years!! "

This sounds horrible! 5 years? 12 years? How was this allowed to happen pre-covid? How were these people not moved somewhere more humane? [Not that anyone knows, just expressing my shock that this is true.]

Has MB been allowed any visitors since heā€™s been incarcerated? Are his girlfriend and the children able to visit him? I cannot believe none of the incarcerated have been outside all this time. With respect to MB, I am tempted to say, well, donā€™t shoot people then.

But I understand thatā€™s flippant and doesnā€™t address the very real situation of people falsely accused, mistaken identity, etc. and just the idea that how prisoners are treated says a lot about a society. This is not about Barisone specifically, just generally all the people stuck in facilities like this pre-covid and now.

7 Likes

Since this motion was not a stipulation and agreed order, I assume LK is contesting? The MCPO suggested a stay in their refusal to comply with the subpoena, but SGF persisted with the compel. I guess SGF got what it wanted in the depositions since their compel motions suggested that they were preparing to file summary judgement motions shortly and now they are suggesting the stay.

Iā€™ve discussed this with my husband and heā€™s convinced that the only reason to have filed the civil case so soon was because of concerns that the criminal charges wouldnā€™t stick.

7 Likes

Believe it. You can search for it on Google and no, there are no outdoor facilities for inmates.

I took a look for local county detention centers and only one has a yard so those awaiting trial or ordered to stay there can get outside.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s just mad!!

5 Likes

Supposedly ā€œsheā€ was concerned they would liquidate all the assets and there would be nothing to take. Remember she filed motions to stop anyone from selling anything? That didnā€™t seem to work since the farm has been sold.

4 Likes

That money could be being held in trust. Iā€™m not sure how all that worksā€¦.but it is incredibly unusual that a civil case was done ā€œout of orderā€ so to speak.

4 Likes

I have not googled anything but wondering if some of them that are located in more urban areas might have their exercise areas located on a roof top?

2 Likes

Anything is possible, but it was clear that wasnā€™t the case for the jails/detention centers I looked at.

2 Likes

OK, just out of curiosity, I did not say Beetlegeuse, but guess who did not appear at the other thread. She canā€™t get in here, because sheā€™s banned from it. Anyone heard or seen anything from her, recently?

4 Likes

On the first point - well, the original intention of a county jail was a temporary stop during the criminal proceedings. This is just one of many issues with our criminal justice system, that an individual could be held for years in a facility that was mean for temporary holding - and this is not just a outcome of trial delays due to COVID.

On the second point, I have no idea what, if any, visitors he may have received (obviously other than his legal team) either pre or current COVID, but his girlfriend at the time of the incident has moved on with her life, so Iā€™d safely assume she is not attempting to visit him.

5 Likes

I was wondering if her mom was okay. She said in the other thread she had taken her mom to the emergency room. Good thoughts going her way.

7 Likes

Agreed! Jingles!

4 Likes